Canadian Airspace

Flying from the Boston area to KIAG and then to KOZW (outside Detroit). The leg from KIAG to KOZW spend a good amount of time in Canadian airspace. Anything unique or special I need to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need to file a flight plan (VFR or IFR) and they might want the location and time you plan to cross the border when you file.

the first part of your flight will be in Toronto airspace but it really doesn't matter. About half way you will switch to Cleveland Center. 

Overflight is still an FAA domestic flight, there are no international requirements in the air. (Customs not required)

It might be a good idea to carry your passport. IF you would find it necessary to land in Canada everything will change and you will need to clear customs. I

You will need to file a flight plan (VFR or IFR) and they might want the location and time you plan to cross the border when you file.
the first part of your flight will be in Toronto airspace but it really doesn't matter. About half way you will switch to Cleveland Center. 
Overflight is still an FAA domestic flight, there are no international requirements in the air. (Customs not required)
It might be a good idea to carry your passport. IF you would find it necessary to land in Canada everything will change and you will need to clear customs. I

Thank you.

Whatever happened to Defence VFR (DVFR) flight plans? They still around? I thought that any activity over the intl border required a DVFR or IFR flight plan.

There is reciprocal agreement between US and Canada that is renewed every year by NOTAM that allows for overflights of adjacent country so long as not landing in that foreign country. In Victoria/Vancouver for example, pretty much every flight over flys US airspace, nothing special required.

I do agree there could be some drama if you have a forced landing behind enemy lines so to speak, without your passport.

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

If you land in Canada without permission we’ll make you drink maple syrup and give lessons in French or the Queen’s English before releasing you.

Clarence

We do the same here, except instead of maple syrup you get water boarded and sent to Guantanamo. 

• Like 1

GP, I often overfly Canadian airspace with no issues, generally on an IF Plan, as mentioned I'd carry my passport in the event of a Canadian landing, Clarence will provide the cakes for the syrup.

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

If you land in Canada without permission we’ll make you drink maple syrup and give lessons in French or the Queen’s English before releasing you.

Clarence

I prefer my maple syrup poured warm over fresh pancakes, with a side of bacon or sausage and a large cup of black coffee. No one in Canada [or France!] wants me teaching or attempting to speak French. I've learned that William and his buddies are responsible for most of the silent letters now found in English, just because they came over from Normandy and occupied the throne for two or three centuries. "Ma Freeeyanssssh ess not so guud."   :blink:    Especially since I've never studied it, only Engleesh, Spanish and Japanese.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:02 PM, M20Doc said:

You’ll need a metric altimeter and will have end every transmission with eh,

Clarence

Don’t forget aboot having to say aboot. Example, “Mooney N123XY is aboot 13 kilometers to the west, eh?”

Edited by 201er