Texas 2018 Fly in - Saturday, April 14 Dallas Executive

Yetti

This looks like one of those situations that may remain uncertain until the last hour. But the restaurant folks would still like as good a count as I can give them.
For anyone who has time to respond, a "yes"  "no" "more likely than not" or "not too likely", would be helpful. Naturally, no one will be held to it.
Thanks
Don

Unfortunately I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

This looks like one of those situations that may remain uncertain until the last hour. But the restaurant folks would still like as good a count as I can give them.

For anyone who has time to respond, a "yes"  "no" "more likely than not" or "not too likely", would be helpful. Naturally, no one will be held to it.

Thanks

Don

Don,

Unfortunately I am out this time.  

Russ

Still in.   I have been playing around with the GFA tool.  While it is only good for 14 hours out, over the past couple of times I have used it, it is pretty accurate.   It looks like there will be light winds down low flying the back side of the front.   Going higher will just get you slammed on the nose.

https://aviationweather.gov/gfa

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Still in.   I have been playing around with the GFA tool.  While it is only good for 14 hours out, over the past couple of times I have used it, it is pretty accurate.   It looks like there will be light winds down low flying the back side of the front.   Going higher will just get you slammed on the nose.

Pretty cool tool, adding to my list.

I use US AirNet for my rough estimation planning. Gives about 3 days.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Yetti said:

7 minutes ago, smwash02 said:

Pretty cool tool, adding to my list.

I use US AirNet for my rough estimation planning. Gives about 3 days.

Windy.com is a great tool as well. The wind forecasting is pretty good. You can see an overall picture with sliders for time and different altitudes. If you have it set to display airports it will show current conditions and clicking on one brings up the METAR, TAF if available, METAR history and a forecast going out four days. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I hope I am not speaking too soon, but it appears that Saturday’s wind forecasts are improving.

Yep, look like I spoke too soon.  KRBD is forecast for this wind to be straight down the runway.  My home field OTOH will have a direct crosswind when going back home and we have a commitment for Saturday night.  My flying machine tomorrow will likely have four wheels.

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

I'm about to surf on down to McKinney, then RBD in the morning. I suspect today's flight will feel like riding in a washing machine...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Fly safe- the metroplex is about to get creamed by thunderstorms but they should be gone by the time you arrive.

Fly safe- the metroplex is about to get creamed by thunderstorms but they should be gone by the time you arrive.
Nope! Still in the area...but I was able to fly around and come in behind one. Nice crosswind practice at both ends, too.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I looked at photo maps and it appears that Ambassador does not have any tie-downs. I can discern some Tees in the middle of the ramp, just south of the big maintenance facility. Does anyone know if those can be used by transients? The TAF promises a bit of wind and my parking brake does not work. I have my own ropes, but I need anchors.

20 minutes ago, zaitcev said:

I looked at photo maps and it appears that Ambassador does not have any tie-downs. I can discern some Tees in the middle of the ramp, just south of the big maintenance facility. Does anyone know if those can be used by transients? The TAF promises a bit of wind and my parking brake does not work. I have my own ropes, but I need anchors.

The transient parking is open to everyone. If worse comes to worse, we will find a place. If need be, we can put you in my hangar and my brakes work fine.

Don proved himself and his lovely wife Norma to be a gracious host once again!  It was a wonderful get together!

Scott’s daughter is a doll.  She was extremely well behaved and great to have there.

My ears turned to ice in the sharp wind while outside looking at the planes, but it was worth it.  I think I knew who belonged to each plane, but who had the E model?

When back home the crosswind was as forecast except added to the peril was that it was variable.

A great day!  Sandy and I enjoyed ourselves immensely.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

I think I knew who belonged to each plane, but who had the E model?

Mine was an E parked at the tiedowns, because my parking brake was inoperative. Everyone else parked in a flight line alongside the restaurant. You can just make out Paul's 252 in the picture. Some didn't even bother choking, just set the parking brake. I should really get it fixed.

rbd.jpg

Edited by zaitcev
  • Like 1