Texas 2018 Fly in - Saturday, April 14 Dallas Executive

Yetti

Update on our Fly-I, Saturday April 14 .

We hit a snag. I gave a heads-up to the restaurant, so they wouldn't be short of help with a bunch of us showing up. Their answer was "they would be glad to accommodate us, but they have a partial room charge for groups of 15 or more. If we had 25, the charge would be $150." I told them "thanks but no thanks". 

I went to Ambassador, our FBO (my hangar landlord) and asked about using the FBO as a base of operations, and their kitchen/eating area to lay out the food. They said fine, but we would need to buy fuel from them. (Remember the 25 cent per gallon discount) My take was that not everyone has to buy fuel, but they would like everyone who can, to do so. They will not be checking to see who does and doesn't. I agreed and would solicit everyone's cooperation to give them as many fuel sales as we can to justify the use of their facilities.

I checked with the closest BBQ place, and they can make as many BBQ sandwiches as we have people at about $8 per. I can bring some drinks and chips. My thinking is that everyone should be prepared at their arrival to tell me how many want lunch. Then about 11:30 or so, I can run to the BBQ place and pick up the sandwiches, to eat about 12:00 or so.

Ambassador has a "living style" area up front where about 10 people can sit, and only about 4 chairs around a table in the eating area. So the socializing would mostly be outside, but a few places for those who can't stand up for that long.

I have had about 19 folks give me a definite maybe, so assuming 2 per plane, with some not able to come and some others pop up later, I am guessing 15 to 20 planes and 25 to 40 people, if the weather is nice. If the weather is crappy, I will be there anyway, so the Drive-in, Taxi-in, and hardy IFR types will meet anyway.

Ambassador is a couple of hundred yards south of the terminal, and there is plenty of transient parking just south of the terminal. 

How does that sound? Does this run anyone off.

We are still open to suggestions.

Don

Don,

Have you asked the airport management if you can use the 'Business/Conference Center'?  It's the stand-alone building across from the terminal.  It has about 75 chairs in it so might work well to sit and visit for everyone.  I've used it for an event or 2 and it's nice enough.

That's a poor call by the restaurant in my opinion.  I'm surprised. 

Edited by blacknchrome

1 minute ago, blacknchrome said:

Don,

Have you asked the airport management if you can use the 'Business/Conference Center'?  It's the stand-alone building across from the terminal.  It has about 75 chairs in it so might work well to sit and visit for everyone. 

That's a poor call by the restaurant in my opinion.  I'm surprised. 

I'll give them a call. I'm aware of the facility, and agree it would be a good alternative.

Thanks for the idea.

Don

Me too!  All I need is weather and get my annual signed off.  It is only waiting on paperwork.  If I have weather and no Mooney, look for an orange and white taildragger next to the Mooneys’.  I expect it will remain there at least 5 or 10 minutes before some of you drag it to the other side of the field.

Don, If I get weather to be there, I will help however I can with getting food, setting up chairs or whatever you need.  Thanks for being so dedicated to the event!

Well folks, Don Maxwell stepped forward and volunteered to pay the restaurant's fee for us to eat in Delta Charlie's, so we are back on with the original plan. I was ticked off enough at them to have done it the other way, but Don convinced me everyone would enjoy it more if I didn't let my ego overrun common sense. 

I did tell the restaurant I would call them on Friday and update the projected estimate, so if you can remember, post again as early on Friday as you can whether you think you will be able to come.

Pray for good weather and hope to see you then.

• Like 2

Wow!  Are we important or what?!  We have corporate sponsors!

Seriously though, Thanks Don for all this legwork.  You are indeed a gracious host.  I haven’t checked weather this morning, but as of yesterday, bad weather is forecast for next Wednesday.  If that comes through, then maybe it will lead to the clearing part of the weather cycle for Saturday.  I really don’t want to arrive at this event again on four wheels, but we will if necessary.

BTW, the Mooney’s annual is signed off and she is legal for the trip now.  No taildragger at the Mooney get together.

1 hour ago, MBDiagMan said:

Wow!  Are we important or what?!  We have corporate sponsors!

Seriously though, Thanks Don for all this legwork.  You are indeed a gracious host.  I haven’t checked weather this morning, but as of yesterday, bad weather is forecast for next Wednesday.  If that comes through, then maybe it will lead to the clearing part of the weather cycle for Saturday.  I really don’t want to arrive at this event again on four wheels, but we will if necessary.

BTW, the Mooney’s annual is signed off and she is legal for the trip now.  No taildragger at the Mooney get together.

I'm glad about your plane. Now you can park with all the elite guys :) 

It is Spring in Texas, so the weather can change fast.  Saturday’s forecast for Redbird is wind out of the Northwest 15-20, gusting to 35.  Since one of the things we do in Texas is ride bucking bronco’s, maybe some of you will be accustomed to it.

• Like 1

If you don't like the cross wind here in Texas, just go earlier or later in the day. The only time we get cross winds is when it's switching from North to South or South to North. It never stays cross.

Unless your based at Austin Exec....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yep, been to Austin Exec on a warm day, with full fuel and full load in a taildragger and the crosswind was certainly something to deal with.

BTW Paul. If the forecast holds, the wind will be about straight down runway 31 on Saturday.

• Like 1

I hope I am not speaking too soon, but it appears that Saturday’s wind forecasts are improving.
They're getting tricky for me launching from KS... we're in the mid 80s today, and will have lows in the lower 20s Friday night/Saturday morning! Big cold front coming, which will be creating some 25-30 knot crosswinds at my single runway airport while it passes us... I may try to get out tomorrow afternoon before the winds shift and go to McKinney (my weekend destination anyway) and then hop down to Dallas on Saturday.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

This looks like one of those situations that may remain uncertain until the last hour. But the restaurant folks would still like as good a count as I can give them.

For anyone who has time to respond, a "yes"  "no" "more likely than not" or "not too likely", would be helpful. Naturally, no one will be held to it.

Thanks

Don