George Jetson

aviatoreb

Very neat though no one appears to be in it for it's maiden flight.  :o

It is missing the little white smoke rings puffing out the back. :lol:

I like how they promote the all electric aspect especially the no polluting part.  Yes there are renewable energy sources but the majority of electricity is generated using fossil fuels. 

Finally with today's technology I don't see a very long range or flight time going all electric.:(  I do like the concept though.:)

30 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

I like how they promote the all electric aspect especially the no polluting part.  Yes there are renewable energy sources but the majority of electricity is generated using fossil fuels. 

Finally with today's technology I don't see a very long range or flight time going all electric.:(  I do like the concept though.:)

We know...but you gotta start somewhere.  Baby steps.  But these baby steps look like they are starting to get somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

This thing looks an awful lot like the machines in the Jetsons.

https://lilium.com

Reminds me of a two seater version of George's 4 seater model - looks the same!

I thought it  was funny they touted it as "simple," but there are multiple fans on each wing.  That seems like a lot of potential for failures, rather than 3-4 big fans/motors.  Also less efficient?

39 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

I'm surprised nobody is working on a electric motor-glider like the Schweitzer 2-37.  Electric batteries would probably give you enough power for practical range

2 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I thought it  was funny they touted it as "simple," but there are multiple fans on each wing.  That seems like a lot of potential for failures, rather than 3-4 big fans/motors.  Also less efficient?

I'm surprised nobody is working on a electric motor-glider like the Schweitzer 2-37.  Electric batteries would probably give you enough power for practical range

That concept of many fans on a wing is the coming thing.  besides limiting the single point failure - if one motor fails you still have 29 more still working, it is supposed to make for more efficient flow over the wing as the propulsion is distributed across the wing.   I like it.

As for a motor glider - I am sure such a thing could work great and very efficiently, but they are not fast are they?  This ilium thing claims "300kph" (always suspicious when they go to kph a non aviation unit and makes for bigger numbers - but still fast).

Batteries will get bigger/denser.  Range will get longer.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Why can't they make it so it folds up into a brief case like George Jetsons

The most impressive tech for Georges ride was not how it flew or even that it could fold into a brief case but that it could be lifted and carried by one hand

I love their home page! It shows a toy bobbling around like a wayward balloon (I bet the "cabin" is filled with helium!) and printed on top is all the usual outlandish performance claims. How a prospective investor is supposed to reconcile the truth vs. the fiction is beyond me, however you have to give it to them. They have presented both the truth and the fiction and it's up to the viewer to decide. What contradiction! They seemed to have skipped the now customary computer animation phase.