Mooney Friendly Avionics Shop In Southern California

MrRodgers

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum on the site so if it's not my apologies.

I started my transition training in my (new to me) 67 M20F last weekend and was promptly notified by ATC that my Mode C was not transmitting my altitudes. Then I noticed the GPS was out and then learned that the passenger side only transmitted a signal but could not be heard by ATC on the radio. In lieu of all this I have decided to explore getting my panel upgrades now so I might be able to enjoy some Summer flying.  I am looking to create a nice panel with some glass features and standard back-up along with new radios, GPS, ADS B Transponder, etc...

The shop at KSMO that I met with said they won't work on Mooney's due to the difficulty in accessing the panel and the fact that they need to be drilled out.  My question is can anyone recommend a Mooney friendly Avionics shop near Santa Monica that does great work in a timely way that won't kill a new aircraft owner on price and installation.  My overall goal is to have a clean and functional panel installation that can support my growth as a Mooney pilot over many years to come.  Perhaps some all in one Garmin Products, Aspen, or others will fit the bill.  Any suggestions from those in the know will be appreciated.  Obviously the sky can be the limit with costs and its easy to pay more for new technology than what was paid for the plane.

I was looking forward to flying her on a weekly basis through my transition training and now I cannot even leave the air space without approval to take her to a shop without a working transponder.

Thanks in advance for any insight.  

Edited by MrRodgers

• MrRodgers changed the title to Mooney Friendly Avionics Shop In Southern California
4 minutes ago, MrRodgers said:

I started my transition training in my (new to me) 67 M20F last weekend and was promptly notified by ATC that my Mode C was not transmitting my altitudes. Then I noticed the GPS was out and then learned that the passenger side only transmitted a signal but could not be heard by ATC on the radio. In lieu of all this I have decided to explore getting my panel upgrades now so I might be able to enjoy some Summer flying.  I am looking to create a nice panel with some glass features and standard back-up along with new radios, GPS, ADS B Transponder, etc...

The shop at KSMO that I met with said they won't work on Mooney's due to the difficulty in accessing the panel and the fact that they need to be drilled out.  My question is can anyone recommend a Mooney friendly Avionics shop near Santa Monica that does great work in a timely way that won't kill a new aircraft owner on price and installation.  My overall goal is to have a clean and functional panel installation that can support my growth as a Mooney pilot over many years to come.  Perhaps some all in one Garmin Products, Aspen, or others will fit the bill.  Any suggestions from those in the know will be appreciated.  Obviously the sky can be the limit with costs and its easy to pay more for new technology than what was paid for the plane.

I was looking forward to flying her on a weekly basis through my transition training and now I cannot even leave the air space without approval to take her to a shop without a working transponder.

If you don't mind coming to Tucson (others from SMO have), there are some very positive changes happening with the avionics shop on my field.

I just picked up my Mooney last week with its new Garmin G5, bought/installed at High Desert Avionics at WJF (Fox Field, Lancaster).  This is at least my third purchase or service through them, and it has always gone well.  

They are also skilled troubleshooters.  As your panel was working when the plane came from Texas, and so many things stopped working at once, you may have a fixable problem.  

I thought vintage Mooney's were easier than most to work on since you can access the back of the avionics and radios from the outside panels.  Not true?

-dan

Hi Dan, did High Desert have the ability for transponder certs? 

Mr. Rodgers,  Leading Edge Avionics does solid work at SNA.  They'll have full capability, as well as mobile services. Scott Gregory is the GM there. 

Cheers,

-Matt

11 hours ago, MB65E said:

Hi Dan, did High Desert have the ability for transponder certs? 

Mr. Rodgers,  Leading Edge Avionics does solid work at SNA.  They'll have full capability, as well as mobile services. Scott Gregory is the GM there. 

Cheers,

-Matt

@MB65E I am not sure which transponder certs you mean.  2-year Pitot-static  (including ADS-B) certification?  Yes.  But I think this is common capability.  Typically, I usually use Gerdes' mobile service for this at my home base at Fullerton (in case anyone is curious).  As I was getting this G5 install done, I had High Desert do the check since I was due in only a month.

High Desert is a full service avionics shop and dealer for Garmin and other brands, so I am sure they are consistent with other premium avionics shops in the SoCal area, of which there are several.  @MrRodgers I do know that they work on both Modern and Vintage Mooney's, from direct experience.  

• Like 1

FWIW, although I am down in San Diego, over the years I have heard lots of good things from others about Avionics work  at both Leading Edge at SNA and Dan's recommendation at High Desert. But if I was in your area, I would also consider the Advantage Avionics at Chino. It seems that these days all the shops are super busy because of the Ads-B work and schedule availability has become a prime consideration.

Edited by kortopates

Hello @Mr.Rodgers! We are an avionics shop located in Northern California (Columbia). We work with Garmin, along with other top manufacturers in the avionics industry. We would be happy to discuss any avionics work you are interested in doing and would love to hear more and give you a quote. Please feel free to check out our website and contact us with any questions. 

Thanks,

Jessica @Velocity Avionics LLC.

www.velocityavionics.com

+1 for High Desert.  They did my GMA 340 and GNS-430W install, as well as a GTN-650 install on another airplane I was a partner in.  They are honest people with competitive pricing.  I know Jeff (owner) personally and he does fantastic work.

Let me know if you go with High Desert, I am based on the field and would be happy to fly you back to SMO after you drop off your bird.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, Dan at FUL said:

I just picked up my Mooney last week with its new Garmin G5, bought/installed at High Desert Avionics at WJF (Fox Field, Lancaster).  This is at least my third purchase or service through them, and it has always gone well.  

They are also skilled troubleshooters.  As your panel was working when the plane came from Texas, and so many things stopped working at once, you may have a fixable problem.  

I thought vintage Mooney's were easier than most to work on since you can access the back of the avionics and radios from the outside panels.  Not true?

-dan

Based on what the shop at SMO said my plane has a single piece windshield mod that limits access. 

I think most of the issue is in the wiring.  I will give them a call at High Desert to speak with them.

Thanks for the insight.  How do you like your G5?

18 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

Based on what the shop at SMO said my plane has a single piece windshield mod that limits access. 

I think most of the issue is in the wiring.  I will give them a call at High Desert to speak with them.

Thanks for the insight.  How do you like your G5?

I did my first evaluation flight with the G5 as HSI, just today.  I wanted a safety pilot so I could keep my head in the plane and play with the knobs.  Still more to learn, but some notes:

• very easy to read, both in brightness and style/appearance of different indicators
  • very smooth motion, like the original analog display
  • Overall, intuitive to use
  • GPSS is scary, because the plane is one step closer to sentient
  • I would like to have 2 knobs instead of one so I can adjust the VOR and the hdg bug without selecting between functions
  • I like that it can toggle to the AI view and become a backup in a pinch

Overall, an excellent upgrade to the original King HSI (soon to be posted for sale), and I like that I did not have to upgrade the entire panel at the same time, stretching my budget out until the AI or AP need an expensive service. 

49 minutes ago, Dan at FUL said:

I did my first evaluation flight with the G5 as HSI, just today.  I wanted a safety pilot so I could keep my head in the plane and play with the knobs.  Still more to learn, but some notes:

• very easy to read, both in brightness and style/appearance of different indicators
  • very smooth motion, like the original analog display
  • Overall, intuitive to use
  • GPSS is scary, because the plane is one step closer to sentient
  • I would like to have 2 knobs instead of one so I can adjust the VOR and the hdg bug without selecting between functions
  • I like that it can toggle to the AI view and become a backup in a pinch

Overall, an excellent upgrade to the original King HSI (soon to be posted for sale), and I like that I did not have to upgrade the entire panel at the same time, stretching my budget out until the AI or AP need an expensive service. 

I spoke with Jeff at High Desert Avionics this afternoon.

Looks like we have an initial game plan on how to proceed with my transponder/encoder issue. 

I will be taking the plane up to them next week.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

23 hours ago, 3914N said:

+1 for High Desert.  They did my GMA 340 and GNS-430W install, as well as a GTN-650 install on another airplane I was a partner in.  They are honest people with competitive pricing.  I know Jeff (owner) personally and he does fantastic work.

Let me know if you go with High Desert, I am based on the field and would be happy to fly you back to SMO after you drop off your bird.

Spoke with Jeff this afternoon.

May be taking the plane up to him next week.

Great guy.  I'll keep you posted if I need a ride back to SMO.  Thanks for the offer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

Michael, 

You do have the single piece windshield but not the 201 style.  So you still have the acces panels  in front of the windshield.  This gives a little better access for wiring than the later Mooneys. 

Keep us all posted on the panel upgrade progress.  

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

Michael, 

You do have the single piece windshield but not the 201 style.  So you still have the acces panels  in front of the windshield.  This gives a little better access for wiring than the later Mooneys. 

Keep us all posted on the panel upgrade progress.  

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan.

The learning curve as a new Mooney owner is pretty steep.

I will get there safely and over time.

Really sorry to hear of all your issues on a new to you plane.  I'm a new M20F owner myself and, knock on wood, I've not had any avionics issues.

I'm going to be the heretic here and suggest you get a quote on having the transponder fixed.  And, at least have them take a look at the GPS issue.  As a new owner we need to FLY our planes awhile before having them AOG for expensive upgrades:D

Since I haven't had avionics issues I have no first hand experiences, but have heard Affordable Avionics at Chino is good.

• Thanks 1