Front Gear Door Alignment

81X

Hi team, I have a total noob question here- I have a somewhat new to me 231 and one of my hangar-mates pointed out that the front gear doors aren't straight.  Ground handling and landing tracks are perfect and the jam nuts for the door adjustment all look right and tight.  Is this just one of those Mooney things so the pilot gear door properly closes on top of the copilot gear door?  

IMG_0163.jpg.b2612be6d308f4ea7e387672495836f9.jpg

You can adjust the spacers on the bottom heim bearing where it bolts to the gear door. if you move the spacers to the front of the heim bearing on the bolt, it will open that right-hand door a little further for you on the ground. 

It also changes how tight the door closes so you want to have it on Jacks and  cycle the gear to be sure that the door closes with the proper tension not too tight and not hanging down

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

interesting vid, that down lock is quite violent, mine is not so violent, doesn't vibrate the doors at all like yours does.  Is something loose on yours?

Just watched it for the first time on a larger screen than my phone. I think I now know why the arm going to my left nose gear door broke a few years ago . . . .

There is a satisfying "thump" as the mains nestle gently into the wings under my seat, and I can also positively feel them extend and lock into place. But I still check the panel light and the floor indicator on final.  ^_^

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hank said:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^   Ah, yes, the infamous wounded duck retract look . . . . .   :o   :blink:

Every time I see them taking off and the gear going up I always wonder if it is going to come back down and actually support the plane. The way they wobble does not instill confidence...

Just now, Skates97 said:

Every time I see them taking off and the gear going up I always wonder if it is going to come back down and actually support the plane. The way they wobble does not instill confidence...

Back when I was flying a 182 retract I always said a prayer when I placed the handle in the down position. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw it swing around, hoping it locked into place.

The whole system is so freaking complicated that I've often wondered if they could have taken another approach such as using a telescoping system, sort of like the chrome antennas on our 7 transistor radios.