Plane Power Disposable?

My 40 hour Plane Power alternator is making whining noises in radio and erratic amp readings. Without going into all the symptoms and background, I thought it was of interest my discovery in talking to Plane Power (Hartzell) tech that the alternator is actually NOT maintainable/repairable. They were more than willing to be accommodating with a warranty replacement, however, even if it was outside the warranty period. (He seemed pretty sure it sounded like a diode). So, unless I discover another gremlin, loose wire, or whatever, off it comes. But I was amazed to learn repair was not an option.

I haven’t  been able to find an alternator off the shelf that has the same rectifier packs since this is externally regulated. But I did get the part number of the rectifier off here and they are available for about 45$ shipped. 

INR720P

https://www.aspwholesale.com/rectifier-nd-p1359.html

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BDPetersen said:

My 40 hour Plane Power alternator is making whining noises in radio and erratic amp readings. Without going into all the symptoms and background, I thought it was of interest my discovery in talking to Plane Power (Hartzell) tech that the alternator is actually NOT maintainable/repairable. They were more than willing to be accommodating with a warranty replacement, however, even if it was outside the warranty period. (He seemed pretty sure it sounded like a diode). So, unless I discover another gremlin, loose wire, or whatever, off it comes. But I was amazed to learn repair was not an option.

That probably just means that it's not cost effective for them to offer a repair service.  A new PP alternator is about $400 which seems to already be cheaper than other brands.  What price differential would you want on a repair to make it worthwhile over buying a new one?  Would you get it repaired for $300?  I don't think I would.

6 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

They weee repairable when Plane Power owned them. We had one installed when we bought our plane. The mechanic didn’t tighten the output nut and the arcing melted the output post off. They repaired it for 120$. 

Exactly!  They are repairable.  PP (Hartzell) just doesn't want to.  The repair department was probably too expensive to keep.

4 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

Exactly!  They are repairable.  PP (Hartzell) just doesn't want to.  The repair department was probably too expensive to keep.

Or maybe there is more money in selling you a new one for $1,000 than repairing yours for 295$.  I just looked mine up again. That’s what they overhauled it for 2 years ago when the bearings wend bad. Remember this is Kelly, they’re not known for quality  or caring about the customer to begin with 

Edited by jetdriven

23 hours ago, BDPetersen said:

To answer myself, turns out a loose lug on the field c/b was the culprit. Tightened and stability returns to the electrical department. Who knew. Maybe Plane Power alternators never need to be fixed.

Dang, I was going to suggest checking that.  Ask your A&P to clean the lug terminals at the next annual, too.

42 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Or maybe there is more money in selling you a new one for $1,000 than repairing yours for 295$.  I just looked mine up again. That’s what they overhauled it for 2 years ago when the bearings wend bad. Remember this is Kelly, they’re not known for quality  or caring about the customer to begin with 

The Plane Power AL12-P70 is currently listed for $453 at Aircraft Spruce. I believe that's the correct model for a 14V M20J. 

• Like 2

The InterAv can still be overhauled, quite possibly by QAA, like Clarence said.  I most recently heard this at a forum recently at OSH.  It seemed like it was fairly common and definitely worth checking on when the time comes.