Advice on a Mooney purchase

One of the aircraft I am looking at has 25 year old bladder tanks, does anyone on here have bladders that old or older? Should I expect issues? According to the logbooks very little maintenance has been performed on them over the years, just the applicable AD. 

Mine have been in for 27 years. Rock solid. Bob Belville looked at his when he upgraded to 64 gallons and he said they looked great. I think his were in for a couple of decades as well.

The good news is if a bladder ever did leak, they can be pulled for repair or replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sethg52000 said:

One of the aircraft I am looking at has 25 year old bladder tanks, does anyone on here have bladders that old or older? Should I expect issues? According to the logbooks very little maintenance has been performed on them over the years, just the applicable AD. 

If that's all you have to worry about... you have nothing to worry about. The bladders used by O&N, now Griggs, will outlast the wings they're stowed in.

IMG_20171206_113136015_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171116_133738961_HDR.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update: I purchased an 1970 “F” model and brought it home last week! I couldn’t be happier with whole process. I purchased the aircraft from All American Aircraft, Jimmy and David were great to work with! Ron Fisher did the prebuy, he was very helpful in explaining the process, maintenance, and nuances of the aircraft to a newbie like me. And a “thank you” goes out to all of you who took the time to write a response to my questions! Happy flying!

48FB55D8-5072-4775-9AB7-9377C7645B32.png

5FF158FD-BCE5-4425-B6B6-630C6AE164C6.png

• Like 5

Congratulations Seth!  I also had a great experience with Jimmy (How is his knee doing? He just had surgery when I bought mine.)  I actually bought Ron Fisher's old M20C and he moved up to a K model.

The transition to the Mooney was straightforward.  It is a very honest airplane and just "does what it is supposed to do".  I am sure you had no trouble moving from your Yak.

Congrats again!

Edit:  I just looked at your Flight Aware trip from Spring Branch.  Awesome speed to TN.  Must have been great seeing nearly 175 knots ground speed!

Edited by Kmac
Addition