Flushing Hub and Governor

Hello,

What method and chemical is recommended for flushing a Hartzell hub and governor for M20C?  I will be using these on my newly overhauled engine.  My old engine was making quite a bit of metal, mostly copper.  Thank you for the help.

If the engine was making metal there is really no alternative they both need to be stripped down and re-sealed ar the very minimum. Lycoming for example wants receipts for this or they won’t warranty your new engine. Most of these overhaul shops won’t flush the governor because it contaminates the machine they do testing on. 

Flushing the Propeller is a very quick easy deal, however it’s not something you can do in the field properly.

They cylinder needs to be removed, an every part that has contact with the engine oil(4) must be cleaned.

Then resealed an reassembled.

Once agin, Kids don’t try this at home!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What frequently happens is they get your prop and governor and they tear it down then it turns into a $10,00-12,000$ event. This board is full of these stories.  I’d send that stuff to Cody and let him do it. SAN Antonio Propeller is another. 

On February 27, 2018 at 6:46 AM, trecool44 said:

I live in central Florida.  About how much would this cost?

Had mine overhauled at Aircraft Propeller Works in Auburndale, FL last December, $6K for a 3 blade Hartzell and the governor.  Bite the billet and have it overhauled.

1 hour ago, cbarnes403 said:

Had mine overhauled at Aircraft Propeller Works in Auburndale, FL last December, $6K for a 3 blade Hartzell and the governor.  Bite the billet and have it overhauled.

Without x-ray vision how would he or any shop know that it needs to be overhauled without even opening it up and looking at it first? Why not just inspect it and repair it as necessary? On an overhaul there are mandatory parts that must be replaced even though they may be fine.

• Like 3

You don't (actually can't) want to do it yourself.  Controllable props can't be worked on outside of a proper shop. Not legal.

Govs need to be disassembled, cleaned resealed and test run. You ain't got a gov bench do you?

Same with the oil cooler and all oil lines. Send out the cooler to be cleaned and you can flush the lines but how old are they? 

When was the last prop overhaul?

$400 + shipping is a GOOD deal for a clean and reassemble. He's recommended for a reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2