Attitude Indicator Question

prflyer

Question for the group:  My new partner noticed that our attitude indicator is not aligned with the sides of the indicator.  It seems to operate normally and responds appropriately, but the interior part of the indicator is always above the indicator on the side. See the picture below as it is easier to see than explain.  I wonder if when the panel was redone the tilt in the panel was not quite right.  I looked back through pictures taken during the past year, and the attitude indicator shows this indication back then. The airplane was flown IFR regularly during this period.

IMG_1853 copy.tiff

In any event, do you think it is ok to fly with this instrument?  If it is off tilt, how can this be corrected?  Thanks.

Fernando

That seems to be off a little...7 or 8 degrees.  Does it get even worse at higher speeds?  The gyros have an erection mechanism that would tend to fight this.  Would check your panel tilt.  I don’t know that it is unsafe, but it may not be optimal for IFR and perhaps gyro life. At high cruise I see perhaps a couple of degrees on mine.

• Like 1

What really matters is the relative position of the little airplane wings and the center of the AH.  The outer ring could be painted black an not affect the pitch reading of the instrument.    Proof of the arbitrary nature of the position of the the little airplane and the moving part of the AH is the fact that the pilot has great freedom to adjust the position depending on pilot height, angle of attack required to maintain level flight, etc.  The outer ring markings are necessary for determining roll angle, but the effect of this apparent parallax error in pitch will be slight, something like the cosine of the pitch error (0.99 at 5 degr.).

18 minutes ago, prflyer said:

Byron, if that is the case, what is the fix? Some type of install bracket that gets you the right tilt?

As far as I know the only  thing that can change the panel tilt angle is an instrument shop. 

• Like 2

You have to readjust the indicator to the gyro capsule and rebalance it so it doesn't precess in one axis when you move it in another axis. 

This takes a precision motion table. So as jet driven says, you need to take it to an instrument shop.

There is no harm running it the way it is. It's accuracy and longevity is not affected. It is just off by a few degrees.

3 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

The outer ring markings are necessary for determining roll angle, but the effect of this apparent parallax error in pitch will be slight, something like the cosine of the pitch error (0.99 at 5 degr.).

There shouldn't be any parallax error if you're looking at the arrow and outer tick marks at the top of the AI (as opposed to looking at where the horizon on the gyro meets the tick marks).  Assuming I actually understood what you were saying ;)

• 8 months later...

Old Mooney IPs were flat for the top row, the lower instruments were tilted...

All modern Mooney instrument panels are not tilted...

Pull that instrument out, to see where they printed a code for the 8° panel tilt... it is most likely written on the outside of the can.

If you descend with an 8° attitude, does everything line up nicely?

For some reason 8° became a standard for panel tilt... why 8°?  How did that ever help?

MooneySpace somewhere has explained this situation before... somebody said, leave it as is... another person mentioned why it may wear at a faster rate...

Either way, an instrument shop would be the best solution to adjust the tilt out of it...

If VFR only, not a big deal... the back-up is looking out the window. If flying in IMC, you want to have a good back up instrument that is better than a worn out TC...

Christmas is  coming, the Mooney could use a good Xmas gift... G5 or other? :)

PP thoughts only, not an instrumentarian...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

It isn't acting odd.  It is just an indicator built for a 8 degree tilt installed in a 0 degree tilt panel.  Look at the way the mid-sixties panel are made with the bend in between the top and bottom row of instruments--8 degrees.  That bend is what makes 0 degree where the AI mounts.  Mooney must have got a deal on a ton of 0 degree tilt military surplus gyros when they were making decisions on their panels.  The right side panel appears to be 8 degree tilt.  Anyone  that modifies their old Mooney with a one piece panel (ala Bob Bellville), the entire panel will be 8 degree.  Most instruments can be rebuilt for either.  Will work fine in the meanwhile, just looks odd.

Edited by David Lloyd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Color me surprised that there are two airplanes in this thread with incorrectly calibrated instruments installed.  I'd be interested to see the logs regarding the install. I would not think an A&P would do something like this.  

I think a friendly, helpful A & P might do it at the owner's request without doing all of the necessary research, but I don't think a competent Avionics shop would.

I admit it: I am “inclined” towards gyroscopic caution:  I have 3 AI in my panel. Four including the AHRS displayed on the iPad.  

I’m not a JetProp guy so I have only 3. But I got to think something doesn’t look right the way my shop installed them.

974e8dd3759104d2e2fa795b0906fed7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I think a friendly, helpful A & P might do it at the owner's request without doing all of the necessary research, but I don't think a competent Avionics shop would.

I’ve a number of good relationships with A&Ps. All of them want to look over new parts and installations. None of them would want their name on this. I don’t think it’s dangerous, but in the event of an upset from spatial disorientation, I can see how it might complicate matters a bit. I think a clear and accurate pitch indicator is not something to take for granted.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1