Need Volunteer Pilots to Transport a Live Black Swan

Ksaunders

Well, here we go.  We have a beautiful Black Swan located in Lee's Summit, Missouri that needs a transport rescue flight to Charlotte, NC.  Yep, a Black Swan.  Please let me know if you would like to volunteer to help fly this beautiful bird to his new home.    

Here are the details:  

The swan is located in Grandview MO in south Kansas City, with the closest airport being Lee's Summit MO.  We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and our info is:

Burge Bird Rescue

13833 S US Highway 71
Grandview, MO 64030
816-356-4700

2. The swan weighs 30 to 40 pounds, but is closer to the size of a 60 pound dog.  He can safely be transported in a medium dog kennel suitable for a 60 pound dog, can tolerate 4 hours at 10,000 feet with a temperature between 40 and 80 degrees and a normal oxygen level.  He has a health certificate and the required blood tests to enter the state of North Carolina.  He can be walked with a dog leash at the base of his neck and cannot fly, but he can run faster than a person, and would be more safely carried.  When carried, a bed sheet draped over his head and torso will prevent his wings from flapping and hitting someone in the face (swans are strong enough to break your nose if they hit you full force) and will prevent biting, although he has shown no signs of attempting to bite anyone.  He will his at you like a snake though!

3. The swan is going to Jennifer Gordon at 

Carolina Waterfowl Rescue (a 501(c)(3) nonprofit)

5403 Poplin Rd Indian Trail, North Carolina 28079  KEQY - Monroe, North Carolina airport.  She will be able to remove the swan from the transport carrier and into her own carrier.

Kevin J. Saunders

M20J - N23MD - Gainesville, Ga

706-974-8316

I often do dog rescue flights, and think you would have trouble getting a medium dog kennel in a Mooney.  I use small soft sided kennels for most transports of smaller dogs, and a 60 lb dog would be on the back seat tethered to a seat belt. Not suitable for a swan.

I have flown over 50 dog rescue missions in my M20J.  My gf is the founder/CEO of TwoTailzK9 rescue.  We transport large breed dogs and rescue over 200/year .  I remove my back seats and put in a Medium wire kennel flat, then erect it while inside.  Use plane cover on floor under kennel just in case!  Kennel fits perfect.  The Swan will fit in the medium, we did a test fitting!  Thanks for response, fly safe!  

12 minutes ago, Ksaunders said:

I have flown over 50 dog rescue missions in my M20J.  My gf is the founder/CEO of TwoTailzK9 rescue.  We transport large breed dogs and rescue over 200/year .  I remove my back seats and put in a Medium wire kennel flat, then erect it while inside.  Use plane cover on floor under kennel just in case!  Kennel fits perfect.  The Swan will fit in the medium, we did a test fitting!  Thanks for response, fly safe!  

That's nice. I should have qualified my comment to say a Mooney that isn't modified or has the back seat removed is unlikely to accommodate a medium ridged kennel.