Mexico flagging Basic Med

cliffy

Just got off a forum I read where a guy flew into Loreto, Baja and was stopped from flying out because of his medical. The story to the baja forum was that he had just done his medical online and they wouldn't honor it so he had to have another US pilot fly down and fly his airplane back to the USA. Probably his first stop as it is a POE (IIRC)
Part of the online Basic Med is learning that it ain't any good in Mexico and Canada. 
So be aware if you want to fly into Mexico with Basic Med you may wind up in a bind. 

Ah loreto mex....what is with that place...I had alternator failure over the sea of Cortez..and elected to shut down the engine to prevent parts of the failed alt from entering the engine.I had a new alternator flown in by a friend and borrowed some tools from the Mexican Navy pilots stationed there.(perfect Russian copies of MAC tools by the way)The Loreto commandant (airport manager)grabbed our passports and threatened us with prison if we didn't pay the fines for illegal engine work and import violation of engine parts!It came to about 250 bucks between the two of us...ok better than a rat infested Mexican jail!!.Years later ,Baja bush pilots report that same commandant arrested,placed in chains ,and transported to Mexico City to face corruption charges...he was pocketing all the fines he collected