Texas Visit

201er

Chris and I are 20 miles from Philly, up against the DC airspace, screwed by NY to the north and DC to the south I don’t see direct low IFR flight in our area of the east. Arguably more congested and complicated than flying out west. It’s not abnormal to have multiple route changes prior to leaving the run up area. Last fall I was on the ground for 40-45 minutes waiting for release with 4 route changes for a  350 mile flight. It’s usual to fly north east to go south.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Danb said:

Chris and I are 20 miles from Philly, up against the DC airspace, screwed by NY to the north and DC to the south I don’t see direct low IFR flight in our area of the east. Arguably more congested and complicated than flying out west. It’s not abnormal to have multiple route changes prior to leaving the run up area. Last fall I was on the ground for 40-45 minutes waiting for release with 4 route changes for a  350 mile flight. It’s usual to fly north east to go south.

I feel for you guys who have to deal with this every time you go somewhere. For me, doing my NC/MA/ME flights the Washington Bravo is worse that a huge area of weather to be navigated around. I've finally given up and file KMRN/MRB/ETX/6B6.

I live under the London TMA which covers the whole of southern England at various levels, but even though i would always file either to join at BKN or BPK depending on which way im going, 1. Eurocontrol will let me do that but then file me via the airways, 2. London centre will just send me where they want to until ive got out of the way of the climbing Jumbos, normally not an issue as i climb faster than they do,   

I suspect your airspace and opportunities for direct routings are really about the same as ours in that it's limited to the same constraints we have here. Perhaps though the biggest difference is that your TMA/Class B are much bigger than ours for the traffic volumes as are probably your Resticted areas and MOAs. We're very fortunate here that since we've always had a large GA user base that AOPA has been very successful keeping Class A airspace to a minimum size and with generally adequate ways to traverse VFR (when it is a large airspace like SOCAL).

But it shouldn't be a surprise that every TRACON has its own arrival and departure routes or corridors that result in standardized clearances and routing depending on the runways in use. As such, aircraft not landing or departing in the B airspace are often just routed around it; especially the smaller ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm in the area as well and planned to stay until Monday morning to head back north instead of dealing with very low ceilings and visibility. Sunday looks pretty awful unless you want a low IFR workout, made worse by busy Class B traffic in the area. You'll surely be on a SID, possibly with a long hold on the ground for a clearance.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I just canned a trip last weekend that I wanted to fly myself Raleigh NC to San Antonio / Austin.  There was too much uncertainty in the forecast models and potential for embedded crap on the way down.  Both ways there was a bunch of turbulence and embedded stuff.  I did get a beautiful shot from seat 23A of the jet stream hitting an embedded TS at FL380 as we dodged around ...

51FEA217-5E3B-4C18-9C4E-C7BE611EF19C.jpeg

Later in the day was a better choice for KGTU.  I was out for IFR currency around noon.  Ceiling were reported at 700, but they felt closer to 400.  --The controller did  get a  bit busy and its the first time in a while that the controller missed my vector for final.  I just gave him a call as soon as I crossed the final approach path and got a turn from the other side.  :)

We have had trees falling down this week...

One pulled out its roots... 50’ tall pine tree.

Another split at a ‘Y’ in a main branch... 30’ tall Maple.

All on different days.  Lots of wind, and rain and compounded with wet sticky snow...

This is normal for hurricanes and late spring snowstorms after the leaves bloom...

Weather that was best to sit out, if able...

Best regards,

-a-

16 hours ago, thinwing said:

Weatherspork huh?..never used it 

Looks like about $80 per year, it looks like a great site, but we have so much free, quality info at are disposal, how much becomes cumbersome.

2 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Mike, 

Did the weather ever cooperate and get you home safe and sound?

It's a long story. Short version, departed Wednesday, overnight in Nashville, challenging flight back home on Thursday.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...