Texas Visit

201er

I'll be flying out to Texas soon so you cowboys can all start getting in line for autographs. Planning to arrive in Addison KADS (near Dallas), Thursday March 1st in the evening. Will be staying in Carrollton till Sunday March 4. And on Sunday flying to Georgetown KGTU (near Austin), staying in Round Rock. Will be traveling with Mooney, wife, and parrots.

• Like 2

Fly safe ;).  If you encounter any problems give me a call.

Forecasting in TX is difficult at times- I recommend reading the aviation forecast discussions by the meteorologists that write the TAFs.  That will give you a good idea how confident they are.  Lately they haven't been very confident.  This morning was forecast at 500 overcast in fog.  Ceiling was unlimited when I got my clearance, fog blew in, and it ended up being as forecast when I took off.  I was on top by 1000 AGL and it wasn't soupy.  I was on instruments not looking around, but from above it didn't look that bad.

If you end up tangling with convective activity, keep in mind that it tends to move very fast here.  No clue how it compares to the north east, but I suspect cells move much more quickly. 

And before anyone says I’m losing my edge stopping for gas, it’s only because gas at KTKX is really cheap and crazy expensive at Addison. I have enough left to make it to Addison but then I’d have to pay $6.80 for 85 gallons instead of $3.38! 

Jose may have some crackpot ideas about wd40, pissing on his plane, and stuff but he sure got these long range tanks right!

Edited by 201er
  • Like 6

Mike, can you get a picture of a parrot flying from the tail towards the instrument panel?

This would probably qualify as the fastest parrot flying in the world.

What could be better than a fact like that at a parrot conference?  :)

or a convention of physics students discussing the net forces on the plane implied by the bird in flight.

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

Lousy ground speeds! Hopefully the ride is smooth since it will be a long day.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Good thing he's in a Mooney, ground speeds dropped into the double digits (and that's MPH)! Some serious headwinds...

• Like 1