Best Place to Put Customs Sticker

epsalant

Hoping to go to Canada in a few months.   Need to get medical (basic med no good for Canada, as I understand).

Just got my Customs sticker and wondering the best place to put it so as to not mess up paint on plane.  Thoughts ?  

I was thinking about door jamb, left side of door when facing it from outside...

Thanks.

All I know is we technically it’s not legal but we do that, we’ve never had anybody ever say anything all they want is the number off of that sticker. In fact you can print off the receipt that you get from Customs when you apply for the sticker and you can use that.

Oh yeah and get canpass it’s totally awesome you land, wait a few minutes until past your ETA and then you just go on. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

All I know is we technically it’s not legal but we do that, we’ve never had anybody ever say anything all they want is the number off of that sticker. In fact you can print off the receipt that you get from Customs when you apply for the sticker and you can use that.
Oh yeah and get canpass it’s totally awesome you land, wait a few minutes until past your ETA and then you just go on. 

I like that idea, although I have never tried it. I have kept mine out of sight under the elevator where I can point to it standing by the door. No body has complained about that either after 15 years. I’d be a little paranoid about losing it if not attached somewhere but if I had a paint job as nice as Byron’s I would be very motivated to keep it off the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put mine on the door frame at the bottom front.  It barely fits so you have to be careful mounting it.  No paint to damage in this area. When you open the door it can be seen by the customs guys.  So far no complaints.IMG_1831.thumb.JPG.a52b9c868a786a4ba77fafdfcd1e0de6.JPG

Edited by FoxMike
add photo

I’ve never actually put it on my plane. Either I show it to them or I don’t bother with the sticker and just hand them the application with my paperwork. You can “buy” the sticker when you cross and when it later shows up in the mail; throw it away. 

-Robert 

Old info. It’s been years since you could do that. Before eAPIS, These days you need the number on the sticker to file eAPIS, both outbound and inbound.

Your overdue for another Baja trip

On the back of the paper the sticker comes to attached to says:

The User Fee decal for private aircraft and private vessels is to be affixed on the outside of the conveyance within 18 inches of the normal boarding area, where it is visible when doors/hatches are open.

In my interpretation this means outside of the plane not covered by an door when opened within 18 inches of where people enter. I put mine at the front bottom of the window behind the door.

I wanted to put mine where FoxMike's is, but I'm not sure if that's "inside" or "outside" of the conveyance. I'm sure there would be a 'fee' in Mexico to settle the debate. Other countries I suspect wouldn't be as picky.

We visit the US several times a year.  Super friendly people make us feel welcome wherever we go.  I particularly love Tennessee.  However, your homeland security drives me crazy. When we land to check in with customs (always friendly, by the way) they first check the plane over with a geiger counter.

Good grief.  If anyone wants to attack the US with a nuclear device, why would they: 1) order a customs sticker, 2) arrange a customs meeting in advance at a specific airport at a specific time, 3) file an eAPIs in advance and wait for an approval, 4) file a flight plan, 5) maintain contact with air traffic control while crossing the border? Those are the requirements.

I long for the days when we could just file a flight plan with “adcus” (advise customs) in the comments.... sigh

• Like 1

On the back of the paper the sticker comes to attached to says:

The User Fee decal for private aircraft and private vessels is to be affixed on the outside of the conveyance within 18 inches of the normal boarding area, where it is visible when doors/hatches are open.

In my interpretation this means outside of the plane not covered by an door when opened within 18 inches of where people enter. I put mine at the front bottom of the window behind the door.
I wanted to put mine where FoxMike's is, but I'm not sure if that's "inside" or "outside" of the conveyance. I'm sure there would be a 'fee' in Mexico to settle the debate. Other countries I suspect wouldn't be as picky.

The stickers aren't for a foreign country but for US CBP when you return. Nobody else will even notice nor does CBP as long as you have it when you re-enter.

We visit the US several times a year.  Super friendly people make us feel welcome wherever we go.  I particularly love Tennessee.  However, your homeland security drives me crazy. When we land to check in with customs (always friendly, by the way) they first check the plane over with a geiger counter.
Good grief.  If anyone wants to attack the US with a nuclear device, why would they: 1) order a customs sticker, 2) arrange a customs meeting in advance at a specific airport at a specific time, 3) file an eAPIs in advance and wait for an approval, 4) file a flight plan, 5) maintain contact with air traffic control while crossing the border? Those are the requirements.
I long for the days when we could just file a flight plan with “adcus” (advise customs) in the comments.... sigh

I miss the pre-eAPIS days as well. We all do! Especially since CBP have been know to give out significant fines for people that haven't followed the rules properly. But not for where they have their sticker placed.
They're not so worried about a device with a small plane as much as they are about smuggling in nuclear material. But if they weren't checking for it, it would be super easy to bring it in.

On 2/25/2018 at 9:55 PM, smwash02 said:

Yup.  Its required to be on the outside within 18" of the door.  I put it on the outside skin of the plane just aft of the door.  I am on my third or fourth sticker, and they do not get ripped off during flight.  Yes, they let you buy one at customs, at least that's what customs has always told me.  I just buy one online before I go, its good for a year.  

I have a long story about making an emergency landing in Canada not expecting to, so no passports and no eAPIS codes to make a filing with.  We called and got clearance to come back into the US, but the customs agent groused about no eAPIS filing, and sure enough, a month or so later I got a call from someone in Washington giving me a stern warning and threatening fines if it happened again.  That was awhile ago, not long after eAPIS started.

54 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

...Yes, they let you buy one at customs, at least that's what customs has always told me.  I just buy one online before I go, its good for a year.  ...

Again, since your eAPIS requires a valid CBP sticker for all US registered aircraft, both outbound and inbound, you'll need it before you can file your eAPIS prior to departure. You don't need the sticker in your possession but will need the sticker number from an email receipt or from their website once processed by CBP. This is why they offer expedited processing with overnight shipping now.