Tie down rings

65MooneyPilot

15 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

if you can ever get a concrete pour down to .001 ill employ you at 20k a day! :) Also I didnt want @aviatoreb to start quoting Pi on us again, it was worse than one of @Marauder women!

My favorite number is the golden mean.  It has the largest diophantine constant.

(1+sqrt(5))/2=1/(1+1/(1+1/(1+1/1+...) in continued fraction form.

• Haha 1

Just now, Hyett6420 said:

yeah and the squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws on the other two hides!  Now let me explain.....

The chief got a new squaw and squaw got pregnant, lovely baby boy.  Chief went out killed a nice Buffalo for the tribe and gave the skin to the squaw to nurse the baby on.  Chief got second squaw, got her pregnant as well, lovely baby boy was produced so in due fashion the chief went out killed a Zebra for the tribe to eat and gave the skin to the squaw to nurse the baby on.  Then the chief got a third squaw ( @Marauder, no getting ideas here), squaw got pregnant and produced beautiful twin boys.  The cheif was delighted and went down to the watering hole, where he killed a hippopotamus to feed to the tribe, he then gave the skin to the sqaw to nurse the twins on.  and this goes to prove:-

the squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws on the other two hides! 

or with your sum it means:-

1 plus 5 squirts of ketchup, divided by 2 = 1/(1+1/(1+1/(1+1/1+...)   So does it matter what type of ketchup you use?  :)  

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55371/rise-and-fall-heinzs-green-ketchup

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2018 at 8:59 AM, Hyett6420 said:

I removed mine for the huge 20 knot speed increase.  (the fact i still had the tie downs tied to the 180 kg blocks probably didn't help!)  Seriously i did remove mine and it made no difference to the speed whatsoever.  I seem to remember reading on here somewhere that someone noticed that its the things under the wing that cause the drag hence i removed them

As for physical tie downs, here in the UK you tend not to be given nice tight wires to tie down to so I created my own.  Ive attached the PDF of the drawing here, but  each one weighs 180kg which if you add it up means she wont be blown anywhere. Its made of concrete.

5a9412ad2aab4_tiedownblockdesign.thumb.PNG.798265e38547fa7fcc2b344c57aa4105.PNG

Probably really messes with your weight and balance when you have to take them with you to another field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

if you can ever get a concrete pour down to .001 ill employ you at 20k a day! :) Also I didnt want @aviatoreb to start quoting Pi on us again, it was worse than one of @Marauder women!

Sorry, civil engineers work with concrete. I do steel, used to make plastic parts. Sometimes it's the durn plastic with tight tolerances, meaning the steel has to be perfect. Yeah, right . . . .

Just don't get Erik too hyped on The Golden Mean, which I appreciate for its aesthetic properties rather than mathematic.  ;)

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Sorry, civil engineers work with concrete. I do steel, used to make plastic parts. Sometimes it's the durn plastic with tight tolerances, meaning the steel has to be perfect. Yeah, right . . . .

Just don't get Erik too hyped on The Golden Mean, which I appreciate for its aesthetic properties rather than mathematic.  ;)

When I first started here, I met a professor from engineering who said he teaches foundations.  Which really surprised me and I told him so because in my department there is a guy who teaches foundations.  In mathematics foundations of the field is set theory and logic which for students means including how to make solid air tight arguments and proofs which is sort of a cultural shift for many.  But it is for sure on the pure pure pure esoteric side of mathematics for most.  "On the spectrum" of mathematics, it is "right" of my position for sure.

So I was super surprised they also taught foundations in his department, civil engineering at that.  And he was surprised we taught foundations in our department, mathematics.

After about 5 minutes of talking past each other, we realized....I was talking set theory and logic, and he was talking about a class about what goes into building a good foundation for a building, like dirt, cement, rebar, etc.  He's the dean of the grad school now I still joke about that with him....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

The coolest number in the universe.

https://www.goldennumber.net/solar-system/

Maybe you could help @Hyett6420 figure out where to place his tiedown blocks so that the tiedown lines, the ground, and the imaginary vertical line to the tiedown ring makes a golden triangle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

When I first started here, I met a professor from engineering who said he teaches foundations.  Which really surprised me and I told him so because in my department there is a guy who teaches foundations.  In mathematics foundations of the field is set theory and logic which for students means including how to make solid air tight arguments and proofs which is sort of a cultural shift for many.  But it is for sure on the pure pure pure esoteric side of mathematics for most.  "On the spectrum" of mathematics, it is "right" of my position for sure.

So I was super surprised they also taught foundations in his department, civil engineering at that.  And he was surprised we taught foundations in our department, mathematics.

After about 5 minutes of talking past each other, we realized....I was talking set theory and logic, and he was talking about a class about what goes into building a good foundation for a building, like dirt, cement, rebar, etc.  He's the dean of the grad school now I still joke about that with him....

Yean, CEs have classes like Soil, Concrete, etc., while I had fun things like Dynamics of Machines, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Strengths of Materials . . . 

But I have learned to appreciate the Golden Ratio in its simple form, 1.618:1, withiut getting into the math behind it. Now I'm off to explore your link and see if it's over my head or not . . . . . One of my wife's cousins is a math professor, and conversations can get interesting sometimes

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hank said:

Yean, CEs have classes like Soil, Concrete, etc., while I had fun things like Dynamics of Machines, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Strengths of Materials . . . 

But I have learned to appreciate the Golden Ratio in its simple form, 1.618:1, withiut getting into the math behind it. Now I'm off to explore your link and see if it's over my head or not . . . . . One of my wife's cousins is a math professor, and conversations can get interesting sometimes

Now fluid dynamics strongly overlaps into my area.

13 hours ago, Hank said:

Yean, CEs have classes like Soil, Concrete, etc., while I had fun things like Dynamics of Machines, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Strengths of Materials

CE's not only had soil mechanics, strength of materials, statics, but also thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics, at least they did at Purdue. ME's design weapons, CE's design targets

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

CE's not only had soil mechanics, strength of materials, statics, but also thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics, at least they did at Purdue. ME's design weapons, CE's design targets

CEs take intro courses on dynamics, thermo and fluids (1 of each?). I had 4 Dynamics, 6 Thermo and 3 Fluids classes required plus a few more for fun.

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

CEs take intro courses on dynamics, thermo and fluids (1 of each?). I had 4 Dynamics, 6 Thermo and 3 Fluids classes required plus a few more for fun.

yea and we didnt have to worry about humidity as intensely as ME's did either. A CE is a much more rounded engineer from what I have observed back in the day of working with EE's ME's and CE's, but certainly not as versed in ASHRAE as a ME. An Architect is a guy who know a little about a whole lot, an engineer is a guy who knows a whole lot about very little, and a contractor is a guy who doesnt know Sh%t because he has to deal with architects and engineers all day long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1