8 day clock

I have a cool Wakmann 8 day 7 jewel clock for my yoke.  I wanted to get it working because I just think it is cool.  I opened it up to see if I could get it working and found a couple of issues that require new parts, so it would need to go into a shop to get serviced.  I was about to box it up to ship and realized the dang face has a Cessna logo on it.  Blasphemy!    

Did any of the 50’s or 60’s Mooneys come with a mooney logo 2.25” wind up clock?   

Anyone have one that they would let go?

Edited by Browncbr1

I love my yoke clock. Use it every flight as a reminder to switch tanks when the moving white minute hand overlaps the settable, non-moving red hands, and the difference between them when I shut down is the flight time that I log. I don't recall it having a logo of any sort.

Good luck getting yours running . . . . I feel your pain, my freshly exchanged IVSI says "Beechcraft" on the face!  :angry:

Mine said wakmann right on it.  If it died, I kNew it was time to go flying... more often...

Somebody has started a thread around here already regarding where to get wakmann service.

one part instrument shop to get a nice logo printed on it.  One part clock shop to get the right bearings and springs...

Best regard,

-a-

On 2/22/2018 at 7:14 PM, Browncbr1 said:

I have a cool Wakmann 8 day 7 jewel clock for my yoke.

It has a Breitling mechanism! Mine didn't work very well seven years ago when I bought my Mooney. I hunted for a place to have it serviced, no joy.

One night the hangar fairies pulled it out and I believe they dropped it in a container filled with sewing machine oil and let it soak. It works like new now and will keep ticking faithfully for 8 days. I use it to time my tank switchover and the 6-second prime before start (IO-360).

1 minute ago, N201MKTurbo said:

That being said the barrel grease for both of the above clocks crosses to Aeroshell 6

Using a manual?  Isn't that like cheating?  :lol:

I don't doubt that the manufacturer knows what's best, but it seems counter-intuitive to use a grease that will thicken when cold in such an application.  The clock that I used synthetic motor oil on is running perfectly....for now.  I'll let you know in 10 years if it was a good move, or not.  :mellow:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Using a manual?  Isn't that like cheating?  :lol:

I don't doubt that the manufacturer knows what's best, but it seems counter-intuitive to use a grease that will thicken when cold in such an application.  The clock that I used synthetic motor oil on is running perfectly....for now.  I'll let you know in 10 years if it was a good move, or not.  :mellow:

I have some of the jewel oil specified for these. Approximately 2 drops cost $60....

• Sad 1

There are a number of decrepit old clocks available for parts donors on Ebay for </= $50.  May be worth a look, especially if you want a new face.  The working ones go for several hundred.

These old 8-day clocks from the WWII era are apparently collectors items as well - may be why you can still get parts for them.  Pretty awesome.