Looking to purchase a Mooney M20J

Shawn26

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

What did the Dukes airplane need in regards to maintenance, from you?

1.) Internal gear inspection per the AD.

2.) Greasing annually, as you said.

3.) Removal for overhaul at George's Electrical Service (who I believe are still probably the only ones who do it)

4.) Shimming the friction brake because the springs were getting weak.  For that one, I flew it down to Ronnie at Dugosh (it was the mid-90's) and he disassembled it an put in a couple of standard AN960-10 washers as shims.  Didn't charge me anything- great guy.

5.) Installation of 2 diodes that Bill Wheat gave me from the factory to keep my alternator conversion from tripping the overvoltage relay (long story I've related in a couple of different threads.)

Of course, re-rigging after each of those.

But again, I am not disagreeing with you that it is a very robust and generally maintenance-free system- just not as simple and easy as the Johnson Bar.  And the gear retraction test at Annual is even simpler: Retract, check gear door closure and warning horn,  extend, check green light.  Check preloads and you're done.

But again, I am not disagreeing with you that it is a very robust and generally maintenance-free system- just not as simple and easy as the Johnson Bar.  And the gear retraction test at Annual is even simpler: Retract, check gear door closure and warning horn,  extend, check green light.  Check preloads and you're done.

You don’t do the emergency extension?
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

There is a fair amount of bashing of the electric gear.   Properly maintained it works fine.   The actuator units are very well built.   I prefer the crank down method of the F over the pull the rope method of the J

Before someone bashes the electric flaps.   They also work fine. Some contact cleaner on the limit switches will usually fix any issue.   Unfortunately there are some mechanics that are great with mechanical stuff, but not that great with lectricity.    One thing to look for is an unmolested wiring under the panel.   if there are a bunch of clip on wire stuff and wire bundles that are ty wrapped vs.  factory cloth tied.   That could be a sign of issues up the road.

My J has the crank...

23 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I’m following in your footsteps, at 2100hrs and haven’t done the engine yet, 600+ hrs and counting.

I will add, if you plan on upgrading avionics, etc, a J will give you “ a better return on your investment”, since they have a higher value.

Nice!!! Run it till she talks to you.  For me it was increasing oil consumption and oil in the intake tubes after a flight.

@Shawn26

I own an 84J based out of San Diego and/or French Valley, CA. I'm currently at French Valley for the weekend, so if you want to come check mine out I can meet you at F70 around noon tomorrow. That's when I plan on flying back to San Diego. Otherwise we can meet up at Gillespie field (KSEE) in the future.

I agree with all of the posts regarding the price of the J. I acquired mine for $82k. It had a new GTN-650, but everything else was stock and the engine was mid time. The selling point for me was the fact that it flew 384 hours the previous two years. Since I bought it, I had to replace the propeller when the hub started throwing grease, overhaul the governor and troubleshoot an intermittent autopilot problem. The prop was $7k, and the autopilot troubleshooting added up to $3.5k... My two annuals have run around $2k and I help out with panel and interior removal/replacement. I do my own oil changes and have replaced a tire and landing light. 

I've upgraded the transponder for ADS-B in the form of a GTX-345 and installed an FS-510 in the GTN-650. I also installed an EDM-900. The combined cost was around $11k installed. The EDM will hopefully tell me when it's time to overhaul the engine. At 1200 hrs, I've still got a long way to go before that happens. The EDM is telling me that my engine is healthy and I'll have that data when it comes time to sell.

I know I'm going to get pennies on the dollar for the upgrades but I certainly wouldn't sell my J for under $90k today if I were even remotely interested in selling. 

Good luck in your search... The J is fantastic but I don't think you'd go wrong with a good E or F.

Regards,

Jon 

1 hour ago, laytonl said:

I didn’t see it mentioned yet, but when we get a question about buying a Mooney we always say that you check with Jimmy Garrison at All American Aircraft.  Which is good advice.  Lee

umm yeah, not that I have their page bookmarked or anything........

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/?pcid=17527&dlr=1&sortorder=28&SCF=False

If I was in the market for a mid body right now this would be on the list to check out. Long range fuel, 430w, 345, stec 30, Aspen, really nice interior and looks clean overall from the pictures. I’d swap the 430 for a ifd540, put in a 450a audio panel, and cut a new panel. Along with a sabremech cowling the plane would be ready to go IMO. 

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/24219927/1975-mooney-m20f-exec-21

• Like 1

I have owned a 78 J with all the aero mods except for the one piece belly for over 7 years and LOVE it!  I chose to go with a older model for the useful load knowing I would upgrade everything.  It now has new paint / interior, engine ect and it would be the perfect plane (was for 7 years) but the wife wants something bigger and I can't argue with that :).  Im in Vegas and would be happy to take you for a ride if you are in town.  Im not ready to sell now but will be in around 6-8 months if that fits your timeframe but in the mean time will be more than happy to help you with any questions you have.  There are usually a lot of hangar queens and a few nice J's on the market at any given time.  What is your budget?

Thank you for your reply. I’m not in a rush for purchase. And I’m a cash buyer.

I usually come to Henderson Airport few times a year. Please update me about your Mooney J, I’m interested. My email address is n36187 at gmail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, MIm20c said:

If I was in the market for a mid body right now this would be on the list to check out. Long range fuel, 430w, 345, stec 30, Aspen, really nice interior and looks clean overall from the pictures. I’d swap the 430 for a ifd540, put in a 450a audio panel, and cut a new panel. Along with a sabremech cowling the plane would be ready to go IMO. 

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/24219927/1975-mooney-m20f-exec-21

Yes, this one should be on anyone's list who's looking. 

• Like 1

I bought my 77 J in 2007 and except for the immediate downturn in the economy and subsequent drop in prices a year later I could not be happier. Anyway, I bought a good one with modern panel and good cosmetics and had no surprises. Tanks resealed 2 years later but was a known issue.  Added an engine monitor and basically just flew my ass off LOP for 1000 hours. Recently I upgraded the 430 to IFD 440 and added ADS-B, and I'll be looking at 2000hrs soon but still going strong. 

If you are patient and want to make it "yours" then buy a runout and upgrade. Otherwise I recommend buy a good one ready to fly like I did and enjoy !!!

Here is my latest upgrade from Aerocomfort

IMG_0405.PNG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2018 at 2:48 PM, Shawn26 said:

Thank you for your reply. I’m not in a rush for purchase. And I’m a cash buyer.

I usually come to Henderson Airport few times a year. Please update me about your Mooney J, I’m interested. My email address is n36187 at gmail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good will do.