Stopped by the Mooney factory today.

nels

28 minutes ago, kpaul said:

@mike_elliott could probably explain it better than I, however one of the driving factors to holding the Summit in PCB stems from one of the Summit founders generosity each year.  Ron @rocketmanhappens to own multiple properties in the area and has worked out deals allowing the Summit access to conference rooms and lodging.  The FBO is also very supportive as well.

Totally understandable.

51 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

I can't speak for the organizers of the Mooney Summit, but as currently structured the event will likely always be held in Panama City Beach,  Florida.  I think organizers of both events have tried to avoid a direct schedule conflict.  This effort failed in 2017.  As I understand it, MAPA had set a tentative date for the 2017 Homecoming, and then the Mooney Summit organizers schedule Mooney Summit V accordingly.  Later, MAPA changed the dates to the same weekend due to a facility issue in Kerrville.

The dates for the Mooney Summit VI are posted in MS; 

Thank you, I wasn’t aware of that.

23 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

For the price of a median home in 1968 ($22,200) after wheeling and dealing you could come real close to buying a new Mooney F. The median home price in the U. S. is in 2018 is 206,000. You can't buy a new Money for three times that. Agreed the new Mooney has a lot more than a 1968 Mooney, but the average today house has amenities that an average house didn't have in 1968.

Wow!  Where can you buy a new home for $206,000?  The average price in my neighborhood for a small 1,400 sq ft house is $1,700,000 (Santa Clara, California) with most going for $2,500,000.  The homes were built in the 1960's for $19,000.  A new Mooney looks pretty cheap in comparison.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Wow!  Where can you buy a new home for $206,000?  The average price in my neighborhood for a small 1,400 sq ft house is $1,700,000 (Santa Clara, California) with most going for $2,500,000.  The homes were built in the 1960's for $19,000.  A new Mooney looks pretty cheap in comparison.

I live in a gorgeous 2700 sq ft house, on the water, on an acre, with big big BIG windows looking out on the view.  There is a bald eagle that lives on the island behind my house, and sometimes when I got out sea kayaking in the morning the eagle circles right above my head.  And I live 1.5 miles from work, and 1.5 miles from the airport.  All for less than the price of your parking spot.  Not 206k but not much more - not much more at all.  In fact, this is part of the reason I can afford an airplane is that my housing costs are pittance.  And because I live so close to work, my 15 year old car has only 90k on it and still going strong.  And I use it less than I might for longer range trips...because of airplane.  The hangar is cheap.  Hair cuts are cheap.  The 10 cord pile of wood to heat the house is cheap.  The half a cow worth of meat we buy each year from the local guy is cheap.  Clean air.  The virtues of rural living.  North of half of the Canadians, up here in up up upstate ny.

• Like 2

That’s the median in the U.S. But in TX where the labor comes from to build the Mooney that will buy you 1800sqft

4 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

Ah... The Mooney Factory.  Was part of our SW US trip in 2015.  Did the tour at the end of March on our way back to Ottawa from Lost Vegas (;)).  I like having evidence of bringing her home to her birthplace.  Did the same thing with the girl in the picture in 1982, but that is another story.

Factory was moving things along when we visited.  2 hour tour.

5a9169531ea79_04-ParkingintheMooneyVisitorParking.thumb.JPG.b20653570b618289e7cd3a2eb5740741.JPG5a91695a16186_10Firewalladded.thumb.JPG.f8e2b264969f1cc7069dc2c28d9dc3ae.JPG5a9169617372c_15-FinishedAcclaim.thumb.JPG.366913979cf3f02011a456a7515d345e.JPG

I have a few hours in this one.. David, its yours now, is it not?

48 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I live in a gorgeous 2700 sq ft house, on the water, on an acre, with big big BIG windows looking out on the view.  There is a bald eagle that lives on the island behind my house, and sometimes when I got out sea kayaking in the morning the eagle circles right above my head.  And I live 1.5 miles from work, and 1.5 miles from the airport.  All for less than the price of your parking spot.  Not 206k but not much more - not much more at all.  In fact, this is part of the reason I can afford an airplane is that my housing costs are pittance.  And because I live so close to work, my 15 year old car has only 90k on it and still going strong.  And I use it less than I might for longer range trips...because of airplane.  The hangar is cheap.  Hair cuts are cheap.  Then 10 cord pile of wood to heat the house is cheap.  The half a cow worth of meat we buy each year from the local guy is cheap.  Clean air.  The virtues of rural living.  North of half of the Canadians, up here in up up upstate ny.

Your cost of living sounds similar to Alabama, except we don't have to budget for snow removal equipment or heavy winter clothing. Some of my neighbors, early retirees, wear shorts >11 months every year, too. Hangars cost more than in WV, but fuel is much cheaper. Taxes are a pittance, too . . . . But that varies significantly by county.

For 1.7M, you can get a large waterfront home on Lake Martin (44,000 acres), with dock and boathouse and probably a guest house.

52 minutes ago, Hank said:

Your cost of living sounds similar to Alabama, except we don't have to budget for snow removal equipment or heavy winter clothing. Some of my neighbors, early retirees, wear shorts >11 months every year, too. Hangars cost more than in WV, but fuel is much cheaper. Taxes are a pittance, too . . . . But that varies significantly by county.

For 1.7M, you can get a large waterfront home on Lake Martin (44,000 acres), with dock and boathouse and probably a guest house.

Probably is comparable to that AL over all, but the details are quite different.  State taxes are high which is a big hit in expensive areas like NYC area and suburbs, but that is 7 hours drive south of here and a whole different world.  Up here, yes taxes are high, but in the big picture a large tax percentage on a small cost is still not terribly difficult.

Shorts 11 months off the year - only if you are crazy.  Remember I teach - every now and then there is a kid who walks around all winter in shorts.  Even in the negative fahrenheit's.  Not recommended by grown ups.

Energy costs - sure you don't pay for heat, but I bet my yearly AC costs match your one week costs in August.  We have a very rare house with AC and I am glad for it in the very occasional time when we need it.  Otherwise....energy costs are largely that 10 cords of wood.

Waterfront ...not 1.7M but I will say roughly a 2005 or 6 Ovation will run you about the price of my house. But we are in town and on the water.  Here's a few pictures - last summer, and last week.  Last week the river is frozen.  Today the ice is breaking up - which is early by about 3 weeks compared to years past.

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Eric, @aviatoreb, did you perhaps know Farid and Sylvia Haq? They were librarians in two of your colleges there. (My daughter was married to their son, Arif.) I think they lived in Canton.

I did not - but I am sort of a fuddy-duddy.  I will ask my wife - I think my wife must know every single person in town and I am barely exaggerating.

I just looked up the Haq's and I do see their names all over in the local newspaper.

So small world indeed!  Have you ever been to town here to visit them?

1 minute ago, aviatoreb said:

I did not - but I am sort of a fuddy-duddy.  I will ask my wife - I think my wife must know every single person in town and I am barely exaggerating.

I just looked up the Haq's and I do see their names all over in the local newspaper.

So small world indeed!  Have you ever been to town here to visit them?

No, we came close one time driving home through the lakes region but we knew they were out of time at the time. My grandsons have an interesting DNA mix. Farid came here from Pakistan for grad school where he met and married Sylvia who was here for grad school as well - from Korea. Nancy's DNA is half Swedish. Only in America.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

No, we came close one time driving home through the lakes region but we knew they were out of time at the time. My grandsons have an interesting DNA mix. Farid came here from Pakistan for grad school where he met and married Sylvia who was here for grad school as well - from Korea. Nancy's DNA is half Swedish. Only in America.

There are four colleges in a small corner of upstate way upstate ny.  Therefore we are an upstate rural melting pot  of the north.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

There are four colleges in a small corner of upstate way upstate ny.  Therefore we are an upstate rural melting pot  of the north.

I'm pretty sure that one was at Clarkson, the other at SUNY. Farid died a few year ago, Sylvia is retired. I saw her last at our grandson's memorial service last Spring.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I have a few hours in this one.. David, its yours now, is it not?

Yes sir Mike!  The plane is awesome, perfect for mountain flying out west.  It will be returning back to Georgia in March for a month or so.  Thanks again for the M20TN checkout!  It was great flying with you.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I'm pretty sure that one was at Clarkson, the other at SUNY. Farid died a few year ago, Sylvia is retired. I saw her last at our grandson's memorial service last Spring.

Hi - well I am a professor at Clarkson too, but I think he must have predated me since I do not know him.  I asked my wife, and she does not know Sylvia I'm afraid.  But if you are ever in town for some reason,.....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Hi - well I am a professor at Clarkson too, but I think he must have predated me since I do not know him.  I asked my wife, and she does not know Sylvia I'm afraid.  But if you are ever in town for some reason,.....

Erik, that's a little surprising but I guess they've been retired quite a few years. I'm 75 and I suppose Ari's folks are/were a few years older that I am.

• Like 1