Mooney Caravan: 2018 Flying Monkeys Formation Clinic (KS)

Dave Marten

blob.png.620702ef7333a2bf4ffd2f88e496b976.png

Mooney Caravan: 

2018 Flying Monkeys Formation Clinic

4-6 May 2018

Join us for a weekend of fun, flying, and fellowship in the Air Capital of the World!

The primary goal of the formation practice session is to introduce the basic 2-ship formation procedures required for participation in the Mooney Caravan to Oshkosh 2018 formation mass arrival to AirVenture Oshkosh. For those pilots proficient in basic 2-ship formation they will have the opportunity to both refine their fundamentals and work on 4-ship procedures. Experienced formation pilots will be paired with new pilots to serve as safety pilots.

Location: Newton City/County Municipal Airport, Newton, KS http://www.airnav.com/airport/KEWK

Dates: May 4-6, 2018

Host: Dave Marten (Mooney Caravan) davemarten77@gmail.com (605) 390-8044

FBO: Metro North Flight Support (Main Terminal) Arrival parking is on the main ramp located immediately in front of the terminal.

Ground School: Formation Academics will be held FRIDAY evening at 7:30 pm at the Comfort Inn and Suites (host hotel)

Initial Formation Academics: Introduction and review of fundamental 2- ship procedures focusing on training requirements for the Caravan mass arrivals. Mandatory for those who have not previously attended a Money Caravan clinic. Download and review the Mooney Caravan Formation Guide http://www.mooneycaravan.com/training

**Friday evening Ground School will maximize flying on Saturday.

Hotel: Comfort Inn & Suites at a discount rate

Call for reservations: (316) 804-4866
Breakfast is included 6-9am.

Schedule:

Friday 4 May:

- 1600-1800: Arrival Social in airport terminal

- 1600 thru 1800: Shuttle to host hotel

- 1930: Newbies: Initial Formation Academics.

Saturday 5 May:

- 0730: Meet at hotel lobby for shuttle to airport

- 0800: Mass brief – flight assignments (Mandatory for ALL pilots)

- 0830-1030: Sortie 1 (brief, fly 45min, debrief)

- 1030-1200: Sortie 2

- 1200-1330: Lunch at Airport

- 1400-1530: Sortie 3

- 1600-1730: Sortie 4

***Group Dinner/Social 1830

Sunday 6 May:

- 0730: Meet at hotel lobby for shuttle to airport

- 0800: Mass brief

- 0830-1200: AM window fly for those interested

Mooney Caravan: www.mooneycaravan.com

A nominal clinic fee will cover snacks/beverages, printing, and admin costs

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wife Glennie and I are departing St Louis for Newton at 0900, visiting some friends in Maize for the afternoon, then returning to KEWK around 1700. See you there!

Cheers,

Rick

33 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

Any other MSers attending?

Dan, I’ll finally get to buy the drink I owe you!

• Like 1

I'll be driving in Friday just in time for the ground school. Trying to work a full day and visit a buddy en route that is leaving town soon/going away beverage.

Very much looking forward to it as well! It was a LOT of fun 2 years ago.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

If you don't have an itinerary yet, there is an aviation museum near McConnell AFB with a little bit of Mooney inside.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I saw that.. Going to check it out for sure..

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to meeting you all tonight.  I'll be departing around 1730 from Abilene and arriving 1800 (I know, it's kind of a long flight).   At least that's the plan, assuming I can overcome my excitement long enough to get my work done today! :P

Great times with the Flying Monkeys this weekend! Learned a lot about my airplane and how I fly it.

The best part was the people I got to meet and fly with. I'm also signed up to attend the clinic in Danville VA in June to meet and fly with the MAG gang. Looking forward to meeting everyone at KOSH in July.

Cheers,
Junkman

• Like 2

It was a fun time.  Like @Junkman said, the best part was meeting everyone.  Time for us Minnesota guys to start practicing.

2 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I'm still amazed you could teach a low time pilot like me to fly like this.

Mark, you are not the average low time pilot.  You are a good stick!  It was a pleasure flying with you.

Cheers,

Dan