Denver Post Airport Article

43 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Thought this quote from the linked article was entertaining.

The airport, which turns 50 this year, received 12,000 noise complaints last year, though 75 percent of those came from just five households, Olislagers said.”

years ago Van Nuys had a similar issue and it all came from one household.  He was a doctor I believe.  For all I know he still may be complaining.

Here's a good article on the 80/20 rule--20 percent of "things" comprise 80 percent of the total.

https://www.mercatus.org/system/files/dourado-airport-noise-mop-v1.pdf

A good quote from the article:

Airport noise complaint data paints a startling picture. A handful of individuals are responsible for most of the noise complaints at most airports we examine. Some of these individuals do not appear to live particularly close to the airports to which they are complaining. For example, one individual in Strasburg, CO, 30 miles from Denver International Airport, complained 3,555 times in 2015, an average of 9.7 times per day. One individual in La Selva Beach, CA, about 55 miles from San Francisco International Airport, complained about airport noise 186 times during October 2015.

Edited by jaylw314

Rant on:

We have a similar issue in Burlington, VT.  People complaining about the noise.  They didn't just put that airport up overnight.  YOU BOUGHT OR BUILT A HOUSE NEXT TO AN AIRPORT!  Did you think for one second that it wasn't going be loud? 

Rant off:

I just think it's silly

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyK said:

Rant on:

We have a similar issue in Burlington, VT.  People complaining about the noise.  They didn't just put that airport up overnight.  YOU BOUGHT OR BUILT A HOUSE NEXT TO AN AIRPORT!  Did you think for one second that it wasn't going be loud? 

Rant off:

I just think it's silly

you are correct but it don't matter you build next to a cesspool and complain about the smell and the the cesspool gets closed or moved.:o:blink:

I live next to a military base.  Luckily I live on the down wind side not take off so noise is less for me but I love to see the F-15s and F-18s and helicopters fly over.  There were many Saturdays they would be doing run up and testing  on engines and you would hear the roar of jet engines all morning.  Never once considered or thought of complaining about the noise.  The sound of freedom.

Also when they would be on alert and take off with full after burner into the night sky talk about awesome.  Spielberg cant do that.:lol:

However, I do have a biased opinion.

As a teenager cutting the grass on the riding mower I would see the F-15s flying over head in formation breaking left or right to land and I would start flying the mower around the yard having dog fights.  well I guess the grass didn't look too good but I had fun.:D  Heck I've had the blue angels fly right down my street at 100 to 200 feet AGL rattling the windows and the fillings in your teeth you can't get a better seat for the airshow.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to live in highland falls ny for a couple of years.  Right by West Point.  Down a canyon from their military practice area.  In the summer some days you would here heavy artillery practice echoing down the canyon.   I didn’t say to myself, gee I think I’ll call and get that base moved... that’s been there for two hundred years.  The only thing floating the economy of highland falls.  Ok full disclosure I was working/teaching there so biased but still...

i fly out of btv sometimes.  It’s the main commercial airport for the state of Vermont and it’s in the only real city in the state.  What the heck are those people thinking?  Maybe they should move to Chicago next to ord and try to get that moved.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MIm20c said:

The airport, which turns 50 this year, received 12,000 noise complaints last year, though 75 percent of those came from just five households, Olislagers said.”

Robert Olislagers is the best thing that ever happened to Centennial airport. When he came on 18 years ago, one of the first things he did was meet with homeowner groups. He was accepted right away and had done an enormous amount to ease local tensions. Not a small feat for the manager of the 2nd or 3rd busiest GA airport in the US (top 25 or 30 of all US airports) with multiple nearby residential developments, some of which have existed since APA was a small, county airfield.

This blurb from the article is not just Robert talking. It's really his overall attitude toward his job.

We’re not so concerned about noise complaints as we are about the quality of life (RidgeGate residents) might have being so close to an airport,” he said

Edited by midlifeflyer

16 hours ago, MIm20c said:

As you probably know, I like to do math.  If those 'five households' all did the same thing, it means that each called 5 times every day!

As I like to say, hitmen are cheaper than lawyers.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2018 at 3:27 PM, Joe Zuffoletto said:

The lead-in photo must have changed...unless Joe you've already moved up to a Gulfstream!  Perhaps they thought that image would help make their point better.

Looking at Joe’s plane after landing....  there are some differences from the in flight pics.   :)

I guess a single engine GA plane climbing away, doesn’t look as menacing as the twin engine corporate jet...

News manufactured, while you read it...

Best regards,

-a-

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, MIm20c said:

Sounds like what is going on in Santa Monica (KSMO) and they just shortened our runway by 1,500 ft.