Well, poop...

My DG crapped out.  Made for an exceedingly fun Instrument training flight.  We started with a zero/zero takeoff.  As we were intercepting the radial for the departure procedure, the DG did a couple spins.  Hm that’s not good.  CFII says, well, I guess well do this whole flight partial panel.  So he covered the DG and AI.  We did several holds, a DME arc, an ILS, a VOR circling approach, and a GPS LPV.  Logged 1.9 partial panel.  

At any rate, I need a new DG or an overhaul.  Century Instruments lists an exchange for under 1amu, but the price list is quite old.  DG is a 200-3 or G-520A (it’s listed as the same item everywhere I look).  

My IR checkride is scheduled for 3/11, so I’m on a bit of a crunch.  I already delayed my checkride over a broken throttle cable, so I don’t want to delay it again!  Is century good to deal with? Any other suggestions? 

Edited by ragedracer1977

Want to call them directly?

http://www.centuryflight.com/products/instruments/directional-gyro.html

Compare to installing a G5...  new tech, competitive price, will last another decade or two.... more of an HSI which is greatly appreciated in IFR flight...

Or go low cost and quick service, as outlined below in Matt’s post...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Want to call them directly?

http://www.centuryflight.com/products/instruments/directional-gyro.html

Compare to installing a G5...  new tech, competitive price, will last another decade or two.... more of an HSI which is greatly appreciated in IFR flight...

Best regards,

-a-

Oh believe me,  I’m heavily eyeballing the G5.  But, thats more like 4 AMU, vs 1. 

Im going to call them (and others) in the AM, just looking for recommendations on who to call (more importantly who NOT to, lol).

Edited by ragedracer1977

13 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

My DG crapped out.  Made for an exceedingly fun Instrument training flight.  We started with a zero/zero takeoff.  As we were intercepting the radial for the departure procedure, the DG did a couple spins.  Hm that’s not good.  CFII says, well, I guess well do this whole flight partial panel.  So he covered the DG and AI.  We did several holds, a DME arc, an ILS, a VOR circling approach, and a GPS LPV.  Logged 1.9 partial panel.  

At any rate, I need a new DG or an overhaul.  Century Instruments lists an exchange for under 1amu, but the price list is quite old.  DG is a 200-3 or G-520A (it’s listed as the same item everywhere I look).  

My IR checkride is scheduled for 3/11, so I’m on a bit of a crunch.  I already delayed my checkride over a broken throttle cable, so I don’t want to delay it again!  Is century good to deal with? Any other suggestions? 

Off topic, but related "argh" story--I was planning on flying partial panel with my instructor, and once we finished the departure procedure he tells me to cover up the AI and HSI.  When I go to put the suction cup cover on the HSI, the glass face shattered.  I looked at my instructor, and the look on his face was priceless.  He very carefully and deliberately said "Gee, I've never seen that happen before."

Luckily it was just the outer glass pane, not the inner, so I didn't damage anything inside.  The shop found someone with a spare HSI and salvaged the glass from it, so the repair cost was not terrible.  Afterwards, I switched to using vinyl window-stick sheeting (think Color-forms), and cut out little circles that fit the instruments.  They only stick when clean, so I keep a stack of 5 of them stuck together in my kneeboard, and I can just peel one off when ready to use.

Hopefully, your repair will be quick and painless.

Edited by jaylw314

4 hours ago, ziggysanchez said:

I've got a DG for sale if you need it. Overhauled in Oct. 2016 and removed from my plane for panel upgrade in Feb. 2017. I could ship it to you tomorrow. $300 plus shipping

IMG_3057.jpeg

IMG_3058.jpeg

Thanks but looks like I have it covered, procured a DG to get me through the checkride while my G5 DG/HSI is on order. :D

• Like 1