Bulb removal

bonal

4 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I’ve heard an IA object to that specific topic.  Red is only for “danger”,  green for “things are good to go”, and blue for “it’s on”.

Hmmmm . . . . The only cockpit illumination my C left tne factory with was two red lights on the ceiling and a red light shining on the clock. Oh, and an amber light for "Gear Up" and a  green light for "Gear Down" along with the white light shining on the floor indicator, which is painted red and green inside the window. 

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Wonder if it was as Yetti mentioned an option and if it wasn’t when was it removed. Where exactly is it located?

Just below the throttle quadrant.  The three knobs to the switch's left are the dimmers.  One for right panel, one of left panel, and one for gauge backlight.

Capture2.PNG

3 hours ago, Hank said:

Hmmmm . . . . The only cockpit illumination my C left tne factory with was two red lights on the ceiling and a red light shining on the clock. Oh, and an amber light for "Gear Up" and a  green light for "Gear Down" along with the white light shining on the floor indicator, which is painted red and green inside the window. 

I was referring to the annunciator panel, well he was

Just below the throttle quadrant.  The three knobs to the switch's left are the dimmers.  One for right panel, one of left panel, and one for gauge backlight.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.1d3d1273d1f86e907313715a2fbe0136.PNG

Definitely looks like factory installed. I don’t have this. I wonder how they fit both red and white bulbs in that small area?

b099eb1f52ae4298fd4fa175e04c7ebe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

15U,  

The bulb that Bonal is discussing, came out of My M20C so easily... no tools were required... it looked like it was made from an old bullet casing... Left over WWII machinery redeployed...?

I assumed it was on the list of things that can be changed by the pilot...

In initial training, the CFI covers the, what to do if this bulb goes out... what bulbs can be replaced by others in the panel.

Along with the rotate this knob to open and close the iris...  a fact that gets lost over time, years of not flying at night...

Anybody just find out that light fixture has an iris in it?  (Twist to dim, untwist to brighten)

Somebody new to their Mooney might appreciate this...:)

Best regards,

-a-

I recognized the indicator light from the picture.  I owned an M20D before my current M20J and it had those indicator lights.  The simplicity of a task does not seem to have any bearing on whether the FAA thinks a pilot should be allowed to do it.  For example, changing spark plugs is far more complex (and potentially riskier) than unscrewing a light bulb.  But, as far as I can tell, spark plugs are on the list and interior bulbs are not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

an amber light for "Gear Up" and a  green light for "Gear Down"

Interesting, since when I acquired my 65C the "Gear Up" light was red, not amber.  Coincidentally the red lens fell out and was never found, and I replaced that fixture with an amber light.  Now I'm no longer concerned that I'm the only C with an amber Gear Up light.

2 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

The simplicity of a task does not seem to have any bearing on whether the FAA thinks a pilot should be allowed to do it.  For example, changing spark plugs is far more complex (and potentially riskier) than unscrewing a light bulb.  But, as far as I can tell, spark plugs are on the list and interior bulbs are not.

It took re-reading FAR 43 Appendix A, but I agree- the FAA hasn't updated its list to include interior lights, or really any other light bulbs besides landing and position (nav) lights:

----------------------------------

(17) Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights.

It's a darn good thing the hangar fairies are so good at it!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

(17) Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights.

It's a darn good thing the hangar fairies are so good at it!

When I posted above, I should have pointed out that the lamp I changed indicated the POSITION of my landing gear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Definitely looks like factory installed. I don’t have this. I wonder how they fit both red and white bulbs in that small area?

b099eb1f52ae4298fd4fa175e04c7ebe.jpg

Trade you my red/white switch for your panel?  Seems like an even trade to me since I'm having the G5 put in this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

So if your Gear position light bulb burns out in flight you’re not allowed to take the one out of the compass and replaced it?  God bless the FAA for their logic.

Clarence 

If your gear down light burns out it has an impact on safety of flight which could reasonably be considered an emergency.  During an emergency a pilot is authorized to deviate from the regs to the extent necessary to deal with the emergency.

I'm not trying to suggest that the current rules make sense, just that it's not actually legal under the current rules for a pilot to replace these bulbs.

Perhaps we could convince EAA/AOPA to put some pressure on the FAA to revise/expand the preventive maintenance list.