Lost Intercom

Brent

While flying through light to moderate turbulence today, I lost my intercom. All comms/navs continued to work fine, and I had side tone on my radio transmissions. But after that, I got no voice-activated intercom off the pilot or co-pilot headsets. The intercom loss coincided with a little jolt of turbulence, so I'm wondering if it's wiring rather than the audio panel itself. The box is an an older Garmin/Apollo SL15 audio panel, but as noted, the SL15 and the radios continued to work fine. 

If anyone has an initial thought, I'll appreciate it. Month #3 as an aircraft owner, so it's all new for me.    

While flying through light to moderate turbulence today, I lost my intercom. All comms/navs continued to work fine, and I had side tone on my radio transmissions. But after that, I got no voice-activated intercom off the pilot or co-pilot headsets. The intercom loss coincided with a little jolt of turbulence, so I'm wondering if it's wiring rather than the audio panel itself. The box is an an older Garmin/Apollo SL15 audio panel, but as noted, the SL15 and the radios continued to work fine. 
If anyone has an initial thought, I'll appreciate it. Month #3 as an aircraft owner, so it's all new for me.    

Any chance the isolate button got activated in the turbulence. Not familiar with this particular panel but the symptom you are describing sounds like the isolate circuitry was activated.

If there are jacks in the back seats, are they all isolated as well or can they talk with each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Brent said:

If it turns out that your audio panel is bad and you have to replace it, the Apollo SL-15 is the same as a PMA7000 from PS Engineering. You could find a used one in slide it in or upgrade to a 7000BT so you get bluetooth.

Greg Baker, 

Thanks for the ideas. I've heard lots of good things about Lake Aero. Anyway, using Dave Clarks. They continued to work fine with the radios after the intercom went out. I'm just going to capitulate and take it to an avionics shop here in SoCal. 

Just now, Brent said:

Greg Baker, 

Thanks for the ideas. I've heard lots of good things about Lake Aero. Anyway, using Dave Clarks. They continued to work fine with the radios after the intercom went out. I'm just going to capitulate and take it to an avionics shop here in SoCal. 

Before you take it to the shop, consider sliding it out, spraying with a bit of contact cleaner, and then reseating the unit.

1 minute ago, neilpilot said:

Before you take it to the shop, consider sliding it out, spraying with a bit of contact cleaner, and then reseating the unit.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot when I get back to the hangar. Either that or a hard landing...

No worries, I am the new Avionics Manager for Lasar.  I have about 30 years in the Avionics industry and we are making big strides in the Avionics market.  We are expanding our demographics and dealerships to accommodate our expansion.  Below is my signature and am trying to get my information better on the board.

Greg Baker

Avionics Manager

greg.baker@lasar.com

480-295-2801

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brent said:

Thanks for the idea, Marauder. Yeah, I cycled the isolate switch (there's a small toggle switch that shifts between crew and all). No joy. Didn't think to check the back seats. I'll give that a try.  

This may be obvious, but going for the simple stuff first, as I recall, there is an ICS selection as well....and an iCS knob.  Did you try those too?

2 minutes ago, takair said:

This may be obvious, but going for the simple stuff first, as I recall, there is an ICS selection as well....and an iCS knob.  Did you try those too?

Thanks for that suggestion. I think I cycled everything I could cycle. Picture of the SL15 face attached. 

SL15 Face.tiff

Kind of sounds like somebody pushed the fail safe button... or it pushed itself somehow...

What is the function of that?   It probably kills the intercom while leaving the pilot directly connected to the radios...

My observation is based on old memories...

So cycle that one again... or twice....

Best regards,

-a-

27 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Kind of sounds like somebody pushed the fail safe button... or it pushed itself somehow...

What is the function of that?   It probably kills the intercom while leaving the pilot directly connected to the radios...

Best regards,

-a-

Pilot error if it happened. I'll give it another try. I'd blame it on my wife, but she just let me buy a plane.

Edited by Brent

1 hour ago, Hank said:

My right headset quit working once, it was just loose wires at the jack. Try spinning the plugs in the jacks, and look under the panel to make sure that the contact is being made on the right part of each plug.

Thanks, Hank. I “jacked” around with the jacks and wires, but I’m going to take a closer look.

2 hours ago, Brent said:

Pilot error if it happened. I'll give it another try. I'd blame it on my wife, but she just let me buy a plane.

Hi Brent,  I was adjusting radios during a big hit of turbulence once.   This was a King KMA 24, and it turns out I pushed in the "phone" button for my radio so that my radio was no longer monitored.  Never felt the push/contact.  They could hear me, but I could not hear them.  So there is a precedent here.  You did not get obsessed with fixing it in the air, and kept with your flight, so good stuff there.   In my case, pulled out the handheld and monitored ATC while making replies on the primary radio.  Worked OK until I fixed things.  

I'm looking forward to checking out your new plane.   -dan

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

IIRC, the ICS button allows the pilot to work one radio, and the copilot the other radio, cutting off the intercom between them.  I can't remember if it cuts out the back seat intercom, but I think it does.

It would actually be great if I can get my wife to get her pilot's license so she can help out with ops, but right now I'm just happy she's willing to fly with me as a passenger.  I'll keep working on her, though ;)

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on my lost intercom issue.

UPDATE: Got back in the plane today and jiggled the audio panel box. Problem solved. Sooooo....yeah.

Loose connection to broken or loose wire back there, I guess, but not quite ready for the avionics shop.  

• Like 1