KISM pireps?

Browncbr1

I’m planning to take family to Disney in a few weeks and it looks like the best place to land is KISM.   I’ll be inbound via OCF and I’ll plug in CERMO for the plan.  Does ATC normal assign STARS for pistons below 9000 from OCF to KISM?  It looks like Lessee two arrival is mainly used for turboprops up high going into Orlando and executive.

also, when on the ground, it sounds like Kissimmee Jet center is the best spot..   Does anyone here have experience there?

I’m sure others will chime in with more experience, but I have flown into KISM twice. Both time IFR via OCF. I was not given a STAR for the arrivals. 

I used Jet Center both times also. Very good service and good prices. Next time I need to be in the Orlando area I will use them again. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

I have flown into KISM numerous times, mostly VFR.   It was not hard to keep and descend just west of the bravo headed southbound and then turn east after you pass the disney TFR.  I depart the same way, headed west easy to stay under the class B which is quickly 4,000 and up.    

I have used the Kissimmee jet center for every visit and recommend them.   It is not a fancy place but affordable, helpful, and easy.    Uber and lyft are readily available if you want to keep from renting a car.

Check Jetcenter pireps on airnav. They are all over the place. They have one lady there that is on a real power trip. My last experience there was horrible with her,  dropping of my son. Others have had good experiences. Be ready to take 15 gal or pay their $50 ramp fee, & hope you dont get the one rather rude unfriendly counter lady. She made such an impression on me, I wont be back.

I fly into KORL quite often IFR and they will give me the LEESE 2 arrival every time even though I put NO SIDS no STARS in comments.  However, I file OCF and LEESE in my flight plan so I'm already set up for the arrival.  After LEESE they are vectoring me around.

I suggest you do the same since after LEESE you will probably be vectored from Orlando Approach anyway.  Oh and usually starting at OCF Jackson will start stepping you down.  I am generally between 5,000 and 7,000 feet by the time I get to OCF starting from  90 or 110.

Thanks for the comments.   Yea, I read the comments on airnav about rude treatment.   I called them and the person on the phone wasn’t particularly friendly, but not unfriendly either.   She said I need to buy 50 gallons to get a fees waived and I mentioned I couldn’t fit 50 gallons unless I were arriving close to critical.. she said she thought I had a baron and I said no, it’s a mooney...  then she said, oh, ok 25 gallons.    That’s fine, that’s about what I’ll burn getting there.   She did say they get full and to make a reservation ahead of time, so that’s what I’m going to do... 

thanks for the advice on lessee.  No problem to plug in quickly on the gtn. ;)  

I fly into KISM around 4-5 times per year.  I am actually planning on being there March 10-18.  We always use Kissimmee Jet Center.  The staff there are great with exception to the afore-mentioned Jeannie at the desk.  She is there sometimes, and not others.  We generally hop Uber to the parks.  Uber is not allowed on the ramp, but the Jet Center folks will give you a ride to the gate to meet your car. 

I always file OCF > CERMO > KISM.  Half the time Approach will give me direct KISM after OCF, the other not.  I have never had a problem transitioning the Class Bravo.  However, when winds are from the North, approach will often keep you to the West until turning over to the tower.

It will be nice seeing another Mooney on the ramp.  Safe travels.

Brandon

**Edit.  I just called for my reservation and spoke with Jeannie.  She was super pleasant and helpful.  I hope this is the new rule and not the exception.  I understand new ownership took over in January and this could be good things for the FBO.

Edited by Brandontwalker
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2018 at 3:09 PM, Brandontwalker said:

I fly into KISM around 4-5 times per year.  I am actually planning on being there March 10-18.  We always use Kissimmee Jet Center.  The staff there are great with exception to the afore-mentioned Jeannie at the desk.  She is there sometimes, and not others.  We generally hop Uber to the parks.  Uber is not allowed on the ramp, but the Jet Center folks will give you a ride to the gate to meet your car. 

I always file OCF > CERMO > KISM.  Half the time Approach will give me direct KISM after OCF, the other not.  I have never had a problem transitioning the Class Bravo.  However, when winds are from the North, approach will often keep you to the West until turning over to the tower.

It will be nice seeing another Mooney on the ramp.  Safe travels.

Brandon

**Edit.  I just called for my reservation and spoke with Jeannie.  She was super pleasant and helpful.  I hope this is the new rule and not the exception.  I understand new ownership took over in January and this could be good things for the FBO.

I booked ramp space with Jeanie for 14th-18th, but we will probably depart on the 17th instead. She was nice and she offered full size car rental for $37/day, but we are just going to get a short ride to the Disney hotel, then we won’t have to deal with a car or parking. ;)   Hope weather works out!   

I booked ramp space with Jeanie for 14th-18th, but we will probably depart on the 17th instead. She was nice and she offered full size car rental for $37/day, but we are just going to get a short ride to the Disney hotel, then we won’t have to deal with a car or parking.    Hope weather works out!   

Cool. VW will be on the ramp with you. However, we leave Disney on the 14th and move to Universal Studios. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

I booked ramp space with Jeanie for 14th-18th, but we will probably depart on the 17th instead. She was nice and she offered full size car rental for $37/day, but we are just going to get a short ride to the Disney hotel, then we won’t have to deal with a car or parking. ;)   Hope weather works out!   

FYI  most if not all Disney hotels do not charge for parking and your parking permit for the hotels will get you in the parks and not have to pay parking. 

Disney transportation is good but sometimes there is a line or wait for the bus.