Took my 90 year old grandmother up today!

ragedracer1977

Nancy's 93 year old mother passed away 6 months ago. She would never fly in a Mooney... or a Boeing. But, as we'd reminded her would happen some day, we flew her urn back to MA for interment beside George. Her children, grands, and great grands were amused. 

• Like 3

Awesome trip.  My 93 year old grandmother wouldn’t ever step foot in a plane but she appreciates that it’s gotten us to see her many times that we wouldn’t otherwise.  

Mind snapping some photos of those shoulder harnesses. Who makes them and installed them?  They seems like a good solution. 

53 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

They mount to the bottom of the seat. 

Not sure how effective they will be.  In most airframes with this style of shoulder belts the seat back is locked in position, in a Mooney there is nothing to stop the seat back from moving forward in a crash.

Anchored to the steel structure in the top of the cabin would be better, but that will take some form of approval.

Clarence

Wonderful day.  My grandma loved that I have an airplane and always asked about my airplane when I went to visit her.  "Did you come by your airplane?"  She told all her friends that her grandson had his own airplane and came all the way from NY to visit her by airplane.  But she was very uncomfortably stuff and in a wheel chair by then and we agreed that it would not work out to bring her climbing onto the wing.  I wish I had a C177 for that specific purpose.

I met a old retired farmer a few years ago, locally at the the village summer festival.  He was a WWII vet who was a bomber pilot, B17, but he had not flown in anything, anywhere since 1945.  He was in great shape, and I think 97, and I told you him need to come fly with me!  And we had a great afternoon flying together.  Of course he handled the controls.

My 93-year old MIL flew with me and another friend to Puerto Rico a few years ago. Had the time of her life, took us snorkeling, where she knew where to find the coolest underwater critters. When she embarked on her final adventure at 95.5, (of congestive heart failure) she still had wet ink in her passport. She would go anywhere at the drop of a hat. Similar enthusiasm on my side of the family: My mother’s final request (at 93, of Alzheimer’s, mostly) was a smiling and entirely lucid wish to go climb in my little airplane and go somewhere fun. I trust they’ve both found somewhere fun to go.

• Like 2

Giving rides to very old folk is as much fun as providing rides for very young ones. Often they’ll talk about that little thrill for the rest of their lives. Several friends have approached me about taking Grammy or dear old Dad for a ride . It’s always a joy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Not sure how effective they will be.  In most airframes with this style of shoulder belts the seat back is locked in position, in a Mooney there is nothing to stop the seat back from moving forward in a crash.

Anchored to the steel structure in the top of the cabin would be better, but that will take some form of approval.

Clarence

They mount to the seat bottom not the back.  When snugged down, you cannot move forward at all.  I’ll see what I can grab photo wise of them later today.   

6 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

They mount to the seat bottom not the back.  When snugged down, you cannot move forward at all.  I’ll see what I can grab photo wise of them later today.   

Ok they are rupert Industries.  Here's some pics of the mounting back seats and front.  

20180218_153926.jpg

20180218_153811.jpg

Great story ragedracer. There is nothing better than spending quality time with family and making memories. 

I hope to meet you sometime at KFFZ. My M20C based there.  

Do you have trouble switching tanks with your shoulder harness? I can’t reach the floor with my shoulder harness snug. 

Thanks for the lovely reminder, @ragedracer1977. Yesterday, inspired by you, I remembered that I owed my friend a long-ago promised ride. My delighted copilot was an 85-year-old former Cherokee180 owner, who hadn't flown in decades. He had the controls for an hour, kept admiring the Mooney handling. (I firewalled the throttle, muttered "giddyap" to 310 horses, and my friend crowed, "yeah! Oh, yeah!" ) Hadn't forgotten a thing. A gorgeous, if a bit gusty day, it was a fine excuse to warm the oil and see if having the windsock pointing straight across the runway was a problem. Your recounted kindness spread ripples of happiness. I bet my friend is still grinning. So, all of you looking for an excuse to brighten a life, two lives, in fact, on the next beautiful day, find some dear old soul and offer a ride. 

• Like 2