Adventures in annuals year 3

Yetti

So the muffler tailpipe has always not fit properly. I decided to replace the quick disconnect for the cowl flaps.  Guess what the last person who put it on did....   Backwards.   Went to the other side of the plane to check.   Yep turn that around and now all sorts of clearance.     Someone just tossed the Avionics relay and just jumpered things together.

New Brake pads.  One of the easier jobs.

mostly normal stuff

Castle nuts and safety wire would make real A&Ps lose money.   Too much time to apply.

IMG_20180217_082130.jpg

IMG_20180217_151604.jpg

Edited by Yetti

In the deep, dark recesses of a ramshackle aircraft housing structure a lone Aircraft Inspector searches for the...unknown. Will he succeed in his quest to discover that which no man has seen before? Join us for the next episode of “Adventures in Annuals”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ha ha.  Just a PPL that has grown up fixing things and figuring out how things work.  I don't even have a gineering degree.   Here is a picture of "Certified" Work.  90degree fitting on oil cooler. I can tell you exactly what happened.   Someone used channel locks to turn it just a bit more to get it right.

20150326_195627.jpg

• Sad 1

Great pic, Yetti!

The sealing surface is the beveled front beyond the threads... check the mating surface to see if something else is hiding in there causing somebody to want to torque the fitting just a little more?

The female threads probably have a similar ugliness to them.

Best regards,

-a-

These are picture from previous work...   Proper fix for that is toss the fitting and run pipe tap in the other threads.   Has not leaked in 2 years.

Servo Finger screen 10 hours after annual inspection 2 months after purchase.

fingerscreen.jpg

• Like 1

The Teflon tape is an added bonus to a crappy design.  The oil cooler should have straight threads, a counterbore and the elbow should have an O ring and a check nut.  But this is aviation where the quality goes on and on.

Clarence

Engine washed.  I am going to say the oil was leaking from where the permatex  is coming out on the second picture.    Don't know which is better passing annual or the Flight Review.   I got the "we really need to find something wrong with so they can tell I am doing my job"   It was a rewarding return to service flight.