New Member Introduction

Utah_Pilot

Hello Mooney pilots.  I've been lurking the MooneySpace Forum for a few months now so I figured it was probably time to introduce myself.  I earned my pilot's license in 2004 at a small airport just north of Atlanta (VPC).  In 2007, I bought a 1973 Bellanca Citabria 7KCAB and brought it with my while traveling around the US in the Air Force.  Me and the Citabria have spent time in Wyoming, Colorado, and most recently, Utah.  I separated from the Air Force in 2015 and now call Utah home and the Citabria is hangared at U42. 

While the Citabria has been a fun plane and served me well as a bachelor, it's time to step up.  The wife isn't really a fan of sitting for a few hours to go a couple hundred miles and the tandem seating means she is staring at the back of my balding head the entire time.  In the summer, forget about leaving the Salt Lake Valley together unless we are okay to climb at 200FPM to clear the Wasatch Mountains.  We have family in Wyoming so the mountains add significant challenges with getting the small bird eastbound.  We would love to regularly travel towards Oregon, California, Wyoming, and occasionally back to my home state of Georgia.  The Citabria is meant to fly aerobatics...not flying hundreds of miles in a straight line. 

I've looked at Turbo Piper Arrows, Cessna 180's, Cessna 182s, and obviously Mooney's.  The Mooney is attractive because of the speed and efficiency.  We do not have kids and don't really have any plans to either so the useful load shortfalls of the Mooney isn't really an issue for our type of flying.  The Mooney is a stable plane but isn't something I would likely outgrow anytime soon. 

I plan to list the Citabria within the next 12 months and, after selling her, begin my search for the right bird, at the right price, with the right features (PS...if anybody is hunting for a second, slower airplane please let me know ;-).  I've narrowed my search to the 201, 231, and 252...and I literally go back and forth daily on which one would best meet my mission profile based on price, performance, market availability, safety, etc.  I'm sure everyone on this board has experienced the struggle of indecisiveness. I lean towards the M20K because of the high summer DA's we experience in SLC...with the 252 being the ultimate option; I'm not sure the 252 would fit my budget, however.  A modified 231 may be my best bet. 

Anywho, if there are any local Mooney pilots who would like to swap time in my low/slow tail-dragger, send me a PM.  I'm also interested to hear where Utah Mooney pilots service their airplanes and get training.  It doesn't look like there are any Mooney Service Stations within 500 Miles...the closest being south of Phoenix, Arizona. 

Cheers,

Trey

• Like 2

Welcome aboard, Trey!   And... Thanks for your service to our fine Country.

No struggles with indecisiveness, just strugggles with finance....  :)

good luck with your search.  Post some pics of your plane.

Be aware that MS often turns pics upside down.  Which should be fine for a two seat, tandem, aerobatic plane....

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, Utah_Pilot said:

Hello Mooney pilots.  I've been lurking the MooneySpace Forum for a few months now so I figured it was probably time to introduce myself.  I earned my pilot's license in 2004 at a small airport just north of Atlanta (VPC).  In 2007, I bought a 1973 Bellanca Citabria 7KCAB and brought it with my while traveling around the US in the Air Force.  Me and the Citabria have spent time in Wyoming, Colorado, and most recently, Utah.  I separated from the Air Force in 2015 and now call Utah home and the Citabria is hangared at U42. 

While the Citabria has been a fun plane and served me well as a bachelor, it's time to step up.  The wife isn't really a fan of sitting for a few hours to go a couple hundred miles and the tandem seating means she is staring at the back of my balding head the entire time.  In the summer, forget about leaving the Salt Lake Valley together unless we are okay to climb at 200FPM to clear the Wasatch Mountains.  We have family in Wyoming so the mountains add significant challenges with getting the small bird eastbound.  We would love to regularly travel towards Oregon, California, Wyoming, and occasionally back to my home state of Georgia.  The Citabria is meant to fly aerobatics...not flying hundreds of miles in a straight line. 

I've looked at Turbo Piper Arrows, Cessna 180's, Cessna 182s, and obviously Mooney's.  The Mooney is attractive because of the speed and efficiency.  We do not have kids and don't really have any plans to either so the useful load shortfalls of the Mooney isn't really an issue for our type of flying.  The Mooney is a stable plane but isn't something I would likely outgrow anytime soon. 

I plan to list the Citabria within the next 12 months and, after selling her, begin my search for the right bird, at the right price, with the right features (PS...if anybody is hunting for a second, slower airplane please let me know ;-).  I've narrowed my search to the 201, 231, and 252...and I literally go back and forth daily on which one would best meet my mission profile based on price, performance, market availability, safety, etc.  I'm sure everyone on this board has experienced the struggle of indecisiveness. I lean towards the M20K because of the high summer DA's we experience in SLC...with the 252 being the ultimate option; I'm not sure the 252 would fit my budget, however.  A modified 231 may be my best bet. 

Anywho, if there are any local Mooney pilots who would like to swap time in my low/slow tail-dragger, send me a PM.  I'm also interested to hear where Utah Mooney pilots service their airplanes and get training.  It doesn't look like there are any Mooney Service Stations within 500 Miles...the closest being south of Phoenix, Arizona. 

Cheers,

Trey

Given your location I wouldn't consider anything less than the 231 with the preference being a 252.  You definitely want the turbocharger.  You are lucky to be close to Kerry McIntyre, a Mooney expert located in Evanston, Wyoming, just over the hill from you.  Join MAPA.  He writes often for them and in fact has an article in the January Log.  If I were in the Salt Lake area, I'd have him work on my airplane.

Welcome aboard.

• Like 4

Welcome to our little support group. Be careful about looking at Mooneys. The addiction is real.

As you've already worked out, the Mooney is the perfect tool for your mission. I'll agree with @donkaye that you really want a 252 if you can swing it. That's what I fly and I love it. 

Utah is one of the few empty spots on my map and I hope to remedy that this summer.  But if you ever find yourself in Texas, it's worth going by All American Aircraft to look at their inventory. And while you're here, there are lots of us who fly 201's, 231's, and 252's and you could get a close look, a ride, and talk to people who own, fly, and travel in each model.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donkaye said:

Given your location I wouldn't consider anything less than the 231 with the preference being a 252.  You definitely want the turbocharger.  You are lucky to be close to Kerry McIntyre, a Mooney expert located in Evanston, Wyoming, just over the hill from you.  Join MAPA.  He writes often for them and if fact has an article in the January Log.  If I were in the Salt Lake area, I have him work on my airplane.

Welcome aboard.

Great recommendation.  I actually read Kerry's article in the January issue but didn't even pick up on the fact that he has a 307 area code.  I just surfed his website for about an hour reading archived MAPA articles.  I think I know where I will be going for a pre-buy when the time comes...

Trey

• Like 1

Don's advice is sound. Keep your eyes open for a "262" K model as well, which is a 231 modified with factory parts into a 252 except for the retention of 14V electrical system. Typically much lower cost that a true 252, with the only downside being that you cannot modify it to the Encore configuration and get the 230 lb gross weight increase.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Don's advice is sound. Keep your eyes open for a "262" K model as well, which is a 231 modified with factory parts into a 252 except for the retention of 14V electrical system. Typically much lower cost that a true 252, with the only downside being that you cannot modify it to the Encore configuration and get the 230 lb gross weight increase.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I definitely love the idea of finding a great 252 and certainly wouldn't pass on a 262 if one came available on the market.  I consider the 252 my "forever" plane...although nobody ever really knows what actually will be their last aiplane.  If it were up to the wife, she'd probably prefer a Saratoga TC so that her and the dog's would have a place to run around in the back of the plane ha.

I appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to learning from the members of this board, 

Cheers,

7 minutes ago, Zulee said:

I think that might be the cleanest hangar I've ever seen, not even a sign of McDonalds wrapper.  

oh, and sweet plane...sorry I don't live anywhere close to you.

Welcome aboard

Ha..those pictures were taken just after I moved into the new hangar (I was previously at KSLC and needed to get away from the class B).  The hangar is just as clean today but has all the standard man-cave additions you'd find in a well-used hangar: an area for flight planning, a couch and recliner, a refrigerator stocked with water and beer, and a cabinet with tools and cleaning supplies.  While there aren't any McDonald's wrappers, you may come across a Frosty cup from Wendy's...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, amillet said:

Beer, in Utah?  Heresy. ;). (From a former Mormon)

I went to HS in Utah and had plenty of friends that apparently didn't seem to have any problem finding beer despite being under-age... :blink: I can say that being one of the few sober kids at the parties made for a lot of fun messing with people that couldn't remember the next day what you had done to them.

(Mormon then and Mormon now... ;))

On 2/17/2018 at 10:57 AM, Utah_Pilot said:

Cheers,

Trey

Trey,

i just bought a used 7GCBC to supplement my M20J.   Would have loved to look at your KCAB; it looks like a great airplane.  Welcome to MS!

lee

2 hours ago, laytonl said:

Trey,

i just bought a used 7GCBC to supplement my M20J.   Would have loved to look at your KCAB; it looks like a great airplane.  Welcome to MS!

lee

Lee,

Sorry I didn't sign up sooner!  Enjoy your new addition; I've really enjoyed flying the Citabria...it's the type of airplane you "wear." 

Welcome aboard! I go to school in Prescott Az, and enjoy flying up to Salt Lake City to do some skiing! I have a old but beautiful M20E and I can tell you, you will want a turbo charged engine especially in the summer going in and out of any mountain locations! 

1 hour ago, ksmooney said:

Welcome aboard! I go to school in Prescott Az, and enjoy flying up to Salt Lake City to do some skiing! I have a old but beautiful M20E and I can tell you, you will want a turbo charged engine especially in the summer going in and out of any mountain locations! 

Without the turbo you may be limited in the summer. We often stop in Delta for fuel and have seen the DA above 8,000 quite frequently during the afternoon, it's doable but it's a slow climb in my non-turbo O-360. We flew over Yellowstone last July and I thought about landing at West Yellowstone but was concerned we wouldn't make it back off the ground so we just continued our aerial tour stopping in Idaho Falls, DA was about 9,500' at KWYS if I remember right. There are a number of mountain locations that you would only want to be leaving from early in the morning in a non-turbo.

8 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Without the turbo you may be limited in the summer. We often stop in Delta for fuel and have seen the DA above 8,000 quite frequently during the afternoon, it's doable but it's a slow climb in my non-turbo O-360. We flew over Yellowstone last July and I thought about landing at West Yellowstone but was concerned we wouldn't make it back off the ground so we just continued our aerial tour stopping in Idaho Falls, DA was about 9,500' at KWYS if I remember right. There are a number of mountain locations that you would only want to be leaving from early in the morning in a non-turbo.

I agree on such a personal level, and I avoid the mountains in my Mooney after May! The climb outs are about as fast as the terrain climbs if you want to keep fast IAS to keep your engine happy! The next aircraft or Mooney model will definitely have a turbo so I don't have to go rent a bonanza to get where I need on a hot mountainous day.