Avidyne IFD Garmin GTX Compatiability

DualRatedFlyer

58 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

A lot of that will be moot as soon as the STCs are in place in the very near future.

The near future has come and gone - as was already pointed out that post was from nearly two years ago. In March of 2017 10.2 was released. The service letter that I gave you explained how to do it. Avidyne told you  it could be done. You seem much more interested in trying to prove wrong Avidyne and those trying to help you.

The IFD 440/540/550's are compatible and legal with the GTX 335 or 345 and have been for nearly a year. Whether you choose to believe that or not is completely up to you. But I'm done. If you want someone to tell you it can't be done talk to your installer again who is a year behind in knowledge. Or wait for Peter to post again . . lol

43 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

A couple of comments

1. the data above from the Avidyne forum was posted on 16 August 2016.

2. the equipment pairing (as required) is called out in the Avidyne install manual rev 12 dated (3/15/17) paragraph 6.12 page 85

Garmin GTX335 GTX345 "The IFD4XX/IFD5XX AML STC approves ADS-B out capability for this ADS-B OUT transmitter and GNSS position sensor combination to comply with 91.227."

3. the install manual is part of the Approved Model List STC. 

Appendix B: STC Permission
Avidyne Corporation hereby grants to all National Aviation Authorities (FAA, CAA, JAA, etc) approved installers the use of data from STC SA00343BO to install the Avidyne IFD5XX/4XX System. This also includes any international validations of the STC (e.g. EASA, ANAC, etc). Copies of the STC data are available on the Avidyne website Technical Publications page or upon request. The latest data revisions are listed in Avidyne 700-00182-XXX/700-00179-XXX Master Document List, AVIFD-306. Installers must abide by the conditions and limitations stated in both the STC and in the Installation Manual in order to maintain compliance. The use of this data by itself does not constitute installation approval.

Therefore: fully approved "legal" installation of this combination of equipment is current FAA recognized.

@Cruiser Thank you for the way you wrote this.  Going through the steps like you have above really helps me wrap my mind around this. I appreciate you continuing to post on this thread.  

34 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The near future has come and gone - as was already pointed out that post was from nearly two years ago. In March of 2017 10.2 was released. The service letter that I gave you explained how to do it. Avidyne told you  it could be done. You seem much more interested in trying to prove wrong Avidyne and those trying to help you.

The IFD 440/540/550's are compatible and legal with the GTX 335 or 345 and have been for nearly a year. Whether you choose to believe that or not is completely up to you. But I'm done. If you want someone to tell you it can't be done talk to your installer again who is a year behind in knowledge. Or wait for Peter to post again . . lol

@LANCECASPER  -- Ouch, that seems really rude.  

I have limited knowledge on STCs and have come to this forum to ask honest questions to gain a better understanding.  I was given conflicting information and hoped the experts on here could help take me through it and "show me the light" with their opinions and supporting documentation.  

After I was presented additional supporting information by you and others, I took several days to better educate myself about it before coming back to ask additional questions.  Questions that I am trying to be thorough with to prevent myself from making a several thousand dollar mistake -- I have seen others make those types of mistakes a time or two on this website. 

Thank you for offering your help in the previous posts.  I can tell you are very knowledgeable on the subject. 

I wasnt convinced that someone trying to offload a product could be trusted. 

I wasnt convinced that a random avionics shop could be trusted

I wasnt convinced that a stranger online could be trusted

I wasnt convinced that a installation manual was the governing authority

I hoped by doing additional research I could better understand the complexity of the subject, learn a thing or two, and make a final choice with confidence that I had considered all the variables.  I plan on taking cruisers last post and looking up his citations to better educate myself.  Should I still not understand something, I may post another question or two on this thread. I would value any feedback you may have. 

A buddy of mine bought a Avidyne iFD540 and they promised very soon GDL88 compatibility.  It’s been a couple years and guess what is still doesn’t work and he’s got to buy another $7000 box now to have what he had before, weather and traffic

They promised full compatibility and full functionality with everything connected to His G530. That wasn’t the case. And the Avionics guy said it simply RS-232 it’s not like it’s proprietary protocol. It’s just that Avidyne doesn’t bother to make it accept GDL-88 RS-232 inputs. Also sometimes functionality is broken like when Garmin released a software update that killed the compatibility to the Aspen. Maybe that’s been reversed,  it’s a long time ago. Against my own advice I did stick with all the Equipment  made by one manufacturer to prevent this kind of stuff. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Cruiser @LANCECASPER

Wanted to say thanks to you guys for all your input and helpful information.  I had my IFD440 installed last Friday and cant wait to take her up and try it out now that these crazy NE winds have subsided.  

Thanks again!

p.s.- anyone found a good place to mount their keyboard?

image (1).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

@Cruiser @LANCECASPER

Wanted to say thanks to you guys for all your input and helpful information.  I had my IFD440 installed last Friday and cant wait to take her up and try it out now that these crazy NE winds have subsided.  

Thanks again!

p.s.- anyone found a good place to mount their keyboard?

image (1).jpg

Congratulations! It looks great

I haven't ordered one of these keyboard holders yet - but they look like they would work well if you have the space. https://sites.google.com/site/b2c2aviationllc/home

On 2/19/2018 at 6:01 PM, jetdriven said:

A buddy of mine bought a Avidyne iFD540 and they promised very soon GDL88 compatibility.  It’s been a couple years and guess what is still doesn’t work and he’s got to buy another $7000 box now to have what he had before, weather and traffic

I'm not sure where they got that piece of information.  This is out of the IFD IM dated 2/09/2018:

image.png.7b362780a38a5492f58f28ae1286d9db.png

• Like 1

Please note the minimum software versions required...........

CONFIGURE SELECTED PORTS WITH THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS;

If the GDL 88 has an internal GPS receiver, the RS 232 position output connection and configuration setup is not required

IFDXXX RS 232 output setting: ADS-B+ (G2)….GDL88 RS 232 input setting: ADS-B Format 2 #1 and/or #2 as appropriate

IFDXXX RS 232 input setting: Capstone HS Wx …. GDL 88 RS 422 input/output setting: Optimized Legacy ADS-B

IFDXXX ARINC 429 receive setting: GDL88 Traffic at High Speed….GDL88 ARINC 429 transmit setting: Traffic Out at High Speed

Minimum Software Versions Required: IFD XXX v10.2.1 or higher….GDL 88 v3.33 or higher