Sun n Fun 2018

mooneygirl

9 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

John, here is a tip for you next year...Join the Silverwings fraternity. $5 lunches (burger/hotdog/slaw/potato salad/chips, cookies and drink). Nice indoor restroom,  Air conditioned cabin, use of the golf cart to get to and fro, coffee and donuts in the AM. All for $30 USD, and it goes to aviation scholarships for "utes"

I saw the cabin but didn't bother to inquire as to what it was.  I will do that next year.:)  See you at the summit

• Like 1

I see people complaining about the price , If 32 dollars is too much , don't go , in fact you should sell your plane and take up golf , much cheaper.....The money supports the EAA , without them , you couldn't afford to fly (most of you) , it supports all kinds of aviation charities.......  GROW UP , If you don't want to pay that's fine , but stop crying like a child........What we do costs lots of money .....

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

The money supports the EAA

Sun-N-Fun is not an EAA event.  "SUN ‘n FUN makes more than $430,000 of scholarship funds available annually to students in Polk County entering an Aerospace Industry career to cover the cost of flight lessons and/or college tuition for 4 years."

6 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

I see people complaining about the price , If 32 dollars is too much , don't go , in fact you should sell your plane and take up golf , much cheaper.....The money supports the EAA , without them , you couldn't afford to fly (most of you) , it supports all kinds of aviation charities.......  GROW UP , If you don't want to pay that's fine , but stop crying like a child........What we do costs lots of money .....

What you said reminds me about a conversation I had with a friend of mine not too long ago who owns a brand new cirrus and was complaining about the price of his  Foreflight subscription. When I pointed out the absurdity of that we both had to laugh!

I made it to KLAL early Friday afternoon following our pre-dawn departure into a Houston overcast. We landed 20 minutes prior to the airfield closure after the 778 nm flight.

a50fa9438487ebea82f5b2f2f0ffde91.jpg

We flew a couple of offshore legs to avoid Pensacola airspace and Tampa/S&F traffic.

0e033be68deb1d6833c869d9f680ac39.jpg

It was my first visit to S&F and I thought the controllers did a great job. “Aim for the green dot; land on the red”.

1803f565a03e760f5d9ddf6c4a4b742a.jpg

Ground transportation was a bit confused for those of us forced to park in the boonies, but we worked it out. IMO Enterprise really dropped the ball by not accepting rental car returns on Sunday; consequently we opted for a Lyft to and from our off-site lodging.

As always it was a pleasure seeing Jolie (Callsign: Buttercup) at the nice Mooney booth. Having never been there before I thought that the physical layout (at S&F) was a bit disjointed but I eventually saw most everything. Sorry I didn’t get to see more MS’ers but there wasn’t much time for socializing with my abbreviated schedule. I have to say that comparatively the Mooney Caravan ROCKS with their big tent and activities at Airventure!

The most surprising thing for me was the steep show discounts that Garmin was giving on their G5 setups! Offering the free autopilot with a dual-G5 purchase was quite generous even though I’ll still be waiting a while for my M20 to be added to the AML.

Lastly, it must suck being a meteorologist ‘cause that awful forecast they threw against the wall regarding the timing of the frontal passage left a lot to be desired. After waiting out the weather for 4 hours Sunday at Lake City (KLCQ) we eventually got to depart into light rain, overcast skies, and a stiff headwind. Luckily the city-owned FBO provided free hot dogs, chips, and drinks for all the grounded planes (people) during our stopover. They even had a pool table in a pilot lounge area! Nice job!

Chuck (Bubbles) Noe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I forgot to post a couple of pictures. Thanks to Jerry, I was able to arrive in airline style.

7c6269985eafcd2e99e9eed1a8ac1d86.jpg

1177ed2c9d67fc305b1675e8f50e2ec9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That thing has a ton of prop blades! I count 6 right there!

Last year I was very frank with Mooney's presentation (weak).  This year, I will do the same.  The aircraft presentation was very well done.  One of Fred's sales guys told me the truck/stage, etc was cheaper than the tent.  Unbelievable.  The drinks, food, etc were first class.  I just wish they actually had some products from their "accessories" website.  My girlfriend saw a shirt on the website she really liked.  Instead, she ended up with a Cirrus shirt instead as her impulse buy.  Remember, market the lifestyle, not just the plane.  I think they did that well.  I would say, without bias, Mooney's/Premiere's display was the best of any of the single engine pistons.  Fred was also very good (as he always is) talking with me about upgrading.  It's a tougher financial premise for me than others given I don't have a revenue generating business to take advantage of bonus depr. 

No one at Beech approached me despite me looking over the plane closely as I'm interested in a 6 seat plane. 

Sure do miss the large homebuilt crowd of the late eighties.  Always enjoyed that in middle school and high school.  Now it's a shadow of the past.

I too have had overzealous volunteers block me from certain display areas in the recent past.  The price..meh.  I guess my threshold of financial pain is higher than others.  Looks like there's an option to volunteer to get around that.  Nice, option.

Sure wish I found the alt chamber.  Wanted to do that.  Just too many distractions.

William

22 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Did anyone else do the simulated altitude chamber?  It was neat simulate FL290.  About the first 2 minutes you are pretty OK but it's all down hill after that.  I thin it was about 4 minutes in when they gave me the mask with the O2.:wacko::wacko:

Hi John,

Yep you lasted longer than I and about the same as Rocketman. I put on the mask at 60% just short of the 3 minute call out. This is the PROTE unit I have been trying to get CAMI to bring to the Mooney Summit for the last 4 years. Supposedly, we are being considered again for 2019. It had to do with budget, (not equipment, trained employees to man it) that we were cut from this year's tour. Don Demuth of CAMI gets semi weekly emails from me on this.

The PROTE unit will also be at OSH. If you fly over 8K and are going to OSH, hunt down the FAA's area and do this 1/2 hr course. It is well well worth it.

• Like 2

On 18/04/2018 at 11:56 PM, cnoe said:

t was my first visit to S&F and I thought the controllers did a great job. “Aim for the green dot; land on the red”.

1803f565a03e760f5d9ddf6c4a4b742a.jpg

Nice pics there Chuck and thanks for sharing.

From the above photo it looks like you had a strong crosswind to contend with.  What was it?

Nice pics there Chuck and thanks for sharing.
From the above photo it looks like you had a strong crosswind to contend with.  What was it?

Good eye Oz. They called base so quickly that I was high. I overshot a slight amount but what you’re seeing is actually a slip. Nailed it.

• Like 2