News on the street: NO avgas in Canada

I had this cal from my flying club today too. Something about low conductivity of the fuel. The fuel was from Edmonton refinery.

i flew with it on the weekend and survived. Conductivity is a safety feature to prevent static build up during fuel transfer. Not sure of the solution yet.  

It sounds like the bigger concern is the change in conductivity that may cause capacitive level sensors to read incorrectly.  Hopefully this is the extent of it and the quarantine can be lifted with recommendations or remediation of some kind.  My Mooney has the old timey float/resistive type sensors.

As a public service to all those owners with capacitive fuel sensors, I am willing to take the quarantined fuel for use in my float sensor equipped plane.  Just to show how generous I am to help out, I won't charge the fuel companies to accept the flawed product.  I'll accept the fuel  "as is" for no additional disposal fee.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2018 at 8:59 AM, Cyril Gibb said:

As a public service to all those owners with capacitive fuel sensors, I am willing to take the quarantined fuel for use in my float sensor equipped plane.  Just to show how generous I am to help out, I won't charge the fuel companies to accept the flawed product.  I'll accept the fuel  "as is" for no additional disposal fee.

In the interests of international co-operation, I will gladly assist in the disposal of any of this "faulty" avgas that can be shipped to Virginia.

On 2018-02-16 at 8:59 AM, Cyril Gibb said:

Cyril,

I called Flite Line Service, they are uneffected by the fuel situation.  Their price was $2.05 plus 13%HST per litre as of yesterday.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

12 hours ago, ShuRugal said:

In the interests of international co-operation, I will gladly assist in the disposal of any of this "faulty" avgas that can be shipped to Virginia.

In this age of political and social polarization, it’s heartwarming to hear the “hands across the border”  willingness to help out Canadians with our unfortunate situation,  Thanks for your generosity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

We had better transfer the fuel soon, once Trump cancels NAFTA we’ll had to dispose of the fuel ourselves.

Clarence

What's NAFTA?  It's a freakin joke. I developed a solar collector absorber out of aluminum that I stamp out with dies and have sold all over the U.S. for building DIY hot water solar collectors.   What we stamp is about the only part of a DIY hot water solar collector that would be difficult to make, so our product is pretty popular.  We're close to Canada so get a lot of inquiries for the product by our northern Do it Yourself builders.  The first 3-4 times we sold it to our Canadian neighbors we quoted the cost and shipping (which was high, but still pretty reasonable).  I got calls after they received the product that some agency with your Government followed up after the product was delivered and hammered them with a tax that exceeded the cost of the actual product.  We can sell it and ship it for cheaper to Alaska (thousands of miles away) than to Sault St Marie, 200 miles from me, and that's before your people get hit for the follow up tax/bill?

Now we just suggest they find a friend in the U.S.  that's just across the border and we ship it there and they drive over the border and pick it up.  Because it's not "shipped", they don't seam to be getting hammered with the follow up bill.  That process doesn't work for Canadians too far north from the border though. 

Tom

2 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

What's NAFTA?  It's a freakin joke. I developed a solar collector absorber out of aluminum that I stamp out with dies and have sold all over the U.S. for building DIY hot water solar collectors.   What we stamp is about the only part of a DIY hot water solar collector that would be difficult to make, so our product is pretty popular.  We're close to Canada so get a lot of inquiries for the product by our northern Do it Yourself builders.  The first 3-4 times we sold it to our Canadian neighbors we quoted the cost and shipping (which was high, but still pretty reasonable).  I got calls after they received the product that some agency with your Government followed up after the product was delivered and hammered them with a tax that exceeded the cost of the actual product.  We can sell it and ship it for cheaper to Alaska (thousands of miles away) than to Sault St Marie, 200 miles from me, and that's before your people get hit for the follow up tax/bill?

Now we just suggest they find a friend in the U.S.  that's just across the border and we ship it there and they drive over the border and pick it up.  Because it's not "shipped", they don't seam to be getting hammered with the follow up bill.  That process doesn't work for Canadians too far north from the border though. 

Tom

Looking at solar hot water system.  Do you have more details on this? It may be just what I am looking for.

On another note, our local flying club got the all clear on the fuel as the latest deliveries came from a different plant on Vancouver Island.  They are expecting an overall fuel shortage unless Imperial finds a way to resolve this in the field and without taking the fuel back.  It looks like blending with good product, or an additive is what they are looking at.

iain

2 hours ago, milotron said:

Looking at solar hot water system.  Do you have more details on this? It may be just what I am looking for.

iain

Here's my website for solar.  I have a lot of information on there as well as links to a few other good solar DIY sites.  For specifics on building hot water solar collectors, look under the menu tab "Solar Projects".  I have a hot air collector on my hangar too.  Very cost effective project.

https://www.aluminum-solar-absorbers.com/

My friend Gary has probably the best Solar DIY site in the world.  He has so much information it's almost overwhelming.

http://www.builditsolar.com/index.htm

Tom

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

I’d be curious what charges were applied to you collector.  It’s supposed to be HST applied to the value of the goods once converted to Canadian dollars.  It should be no different than the person who drives the parts across the border themselves.

It could be as simple as the customs broker messed up.

I know the UPS and Fed Ex aren’t going broke importing goods from the US.

Clarence