Need PC Turn Coordinator

• 1 month later...

Were you able to discover a Turn coordinator and who did you contact.  It appears my 1967 has a replacement coordinator and the positive control is not hooked up.  Is this worth persueing or should I move towards a STEC auto pilot?

Thanks

TC

Welcome aboard, All4...

The PC supystem is greatly appreciated by most...

Many have updated it to have a heading bug connected to it.

The specific TC that goes with your system is kind of important to know which one was there.  Earlier M20Cs used a separate gyro in the back...  it can be looked up as well.

There has been recent changes with the company (Britain) that builds the PC system.  They may still have the TC for sale...

Ship arriving to late to save a...  http://www.brittainautopilots.com/

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...

It appears Brittain Auto Pilots have closed there doors.  I have a 1967 M20F.  I did look for the standalone gyro system under the instrument panel and do not see it anywhere.  I will look in the rear of the aircraft but I don' t believe there is a standalone gyro located there.  Is it worth the time to repair this capability and since it appears it has not been installed(TC) and not functional (PC) how does this impart its airworthiness?

Additionally the left gear appears to be canted in slightly but the mechanic swears that many Mooney's have this stance.

What TC do you have?

after 65... the rear gyro and the TnB became one with the TC...

A PC driven by a TC would be worth it until the new low cost APs become available...

then second electronic AIs rule compared to old TCs...

PP speaking roughly... only.

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, all4thekidz said:

It appears Brittain Auto Pilots have closed there doors.  I have a 1967 M20F.  I did look for the standalone gyro system under the instrument panel and do not see it anywhere.  I will look in the rear of the aircraft but I don' t believe there is a standalone gyro located there.  Is it worth the time to repair this capability and since it appears it has not been installed(TC) and not functional (PC) how does this impart its airworthiness?

Additionally the left gear appears to be canted in slightly but the mechanic swears that many Mooney's have this stance.

your '67F does not have gyro system under the panel like older models. It should have Brittain TC100 Turn Coordinator in the panel. No. 1 in picture below.

PC_system-67F.thumb.jpg.6c39bd7bf35a290a166ea53b8c8f99da.jpg

Are you talking about Main Landing Gear?

Both gears should be perpendicular to the ground but due to wing dihedral, it looks like those are canted in.

• Like 1

You could probably get the TC coordinator overhauled at ________________  let me look for the name company that Brittian used.   They may have one to sell.  

The Mooney gear are a little wacky and my left gear looks a bit out of line. That's how they are as I was told by my A&P transition instructor.

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

He has not reposted since initial.  I asked if he was talking about a TC100.  I have one that I would sell, that is why I asked...

Yeah, the same thing happened to the guy looking for Grimes bulbs. Why ask if you aren't going to check back?

• Thanks 1

I am a new Mooney owner—1967 F.   I just had my Britain turn coordinator overhauled. It is the TC100 EVS. It failed right after I bought the plane unfortunately.

I had a tough time finding a shop that knew them well but ended up sending it off to Preferred Avionics in Michigan.  The tech who did the work seemed to know Britain stuff pretty well when I first called—knew the different models and hook ups in the back  

Mine was not working at all and also had some electrical problems with the attached transducer. Haven’t installed it yet. Hope it gets my Accutrak back to tracking the vor/gps headings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sw1024 said:

I am a new Mooney owner—1967 F.   I just had my Britain turn coordinator overhauled. It is the TC100 EVS. It failed right after I bought the plane unfortunately.

I had a tough time finding a shop that knew them well but ended up sending it off to Preferred Avionics in Michigan.  The tech who did the work seemed to know Britain stuff pretty well when I first called—knew the different models and hook ups in the back  

Mine was not working at all and also had some electrical problems with the attached transducer. Haven’t installed it yet. Hope it gets my Accutrak back to tracking the vor/gps headings. 

Were they able to get it working? I’d love to have my PC working. I can hear gyro spinning down after shutdown - behind baggage compartment. My pc swtitch isntbeven connected to anything. I’d love to get it up and running. 

Checking back Folks!  I do appreciate your responses.  I am going to look into the options and will get back soon.  As for the TC100 give me a bit to look into that as well.  Learning as I go!  Pulling down a full time job, flying for the Army, rebuilding very old tractors, trucks and FARMING on the side in conjunction with rebuilding a MOONEY.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigD said:

Were they able to get it working? I’d love to have my PC working. I can hear gyro spinning down after shutdown - behind baggage compartment. My pc swtitch isntbeven connected to anything. I’d love to get it up and running. 

I only had them overhaul the turn coordinator and we haven’t installed it yet. They did a full overhaul on the gyro and electrical. But the PC/Accutrak was working prior to the TC going dead so I’m hoping that was the only problem.

What was interesting was that the TC was working just before we turned on the Accutrak to track a heading...then it died. Not sure if that was a coincidence or not...

@BigD I have one of the gyro's for the pre-67 that goes in the tail.  I'm not sure if it works, but I'd let you try it.  I would also be interested in buying a working TC100 from some MS-er as a spare.   Mine seems fine for now.  But, with the sad demise of Brittain, having a spare wouldn't hurt because I really like the PC system in my a/c.

-Fred

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

@BigD I have one of the gyro's for the pre-67 that goes in the tail.  I'm not sure if it works, but I'd let you try it.  I would also be interested in buying a working TC100 from some MS-er as a spare.   Mine seems fine for now.  But, with the sad demise of Brittain, having a spare wouldn't hurt because I really like the PC system in my a/c.

-Fred

I’m not sure why maybe my PC is inoperative. My guess is that it’s been disconnected at a bare minimum. The disconnect button in the yoke is not even connected. One of the boots on a servo in wing is frayed. I was actually excited I could hear the gyro spinning behind baggage compartment because maybe THAT works! I want to trouble shoot it. Any suggestions where to start? 

The previous owner of my a/c discovered that replacing the o-ring on the disconnect button fixed his PC system.   Doesn't sound like yours will be so easy.   In February we re-arranged the instruments from shotgun to six-pack configuration and got a real good look at how it is plumbed. 

Like you, any folks have torn rubber membranes on their vacuum servos.   Brittain was having a clearance sale on those a few months ago.  You can search and get contact info here by searching MS.  

I can speculate on several ways to test your gyro that would involve vacuum pump, some vacuum gauges and unbolting your gyro so you can manually tilt it.   If the valve body is functioning, and you can get replacement rubber membranes, and you can replumb the disconnect, you should be able to get it working again.   It really is quite simple.   The drawing above posted by @Igor_U does a great job of showing it.

Good luck

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the original PC TC  die on me about 3 years ago right after having installed  ADS-B, so that is were my $500 ADS-B rebate check  went to put in a used  TC with no PC.

It is definitely lighter on the controls but I certainly miss having the wing lever. But  at the time I did want $900 to $1200 (if I recall correctly)  overhauled used Brittan  TC.

The Instrument shop that I deal with didn't want to touch  the Brittan TC .  Sounds like Brittan maybe on the rebound but for me the reality was I didn't want to load the airplane up  vacuum lines and trying find all the serviceable autopilot parts to make functional autopilot. I was hoping the time table and the market would have several choices for attitude based autopilots for a C model by now. but I guess this gives me more time to save money and time to think it through.

James '67C

• 2 years later...
On 1/17/2022 at 4:27 PM, Jcmtl said:

I have one if anybody needs.

So,

Was it working before removal and how much do you want for it? when was last time serviced/checked (sticker on a first picture doesn't show that)?

What years is your plane (S/N?)? Your TC looks slightly different then one in my plane as I can't see "electric off" warning flag my unit has.

Thank you.