Aspen EA100 Location

I recently installed the EA100 with a dual Aspen PFD/MFD.  The EA100 was installed in the fuselage by the battery.

I am having an EA100 failure after about 2.5 hrs  of flight.  It resets normally then works for another approximate 2 hrs.

On shorter flights, it works flawlessly in all modes.  I have been told by another Aspen dealer that Aspen wants the EA100 installed in the cockpit.  This dealer says that he has had issues with EA100 reliability with fuselage installs especially with faster aircraft like our Moonies.

Has anyone on the list experienced these type of faults or heard of this preferred mounting location?

Karl Ludolph, N9115Z, I19

HI Karl, welcome to MooneySpace. Long time, no ping. I have not heard of your type of failure, but rest assured, you will undoubtedly hear what a bad choice you made from a self proclaimed glass panel expert here for choosing the "archaic" Aspen, but i digress... I cant fathom why the EA100 location would be so critical, unless cable lengths come into play from a resistance standpoint. I never put the EA100 in my F nor does the Bravo have one, so my input is not authorative. Perhaps @Marauder  will chime in. It might not hurt to give the SE of aspen a call if you have not already.

• Good to be back, Aspen is aware, and will swap out the EA100 after the shop troubleshoots the connectors.  I have never been an early adopter of avionics, tending to stay with mature systems to avoid this type of problem.
  • Dumped the Vacuum system, got SV, AOA and ADSB on the PFD/MFD. More capability than I have on the jets I fly.  I am enjoying the upgrade so much, I am sorry I waited so long.  

20180112_1111441.thumb.jpg.caebb5850098328f8c4a70d77e605afe.jpg

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Karl Ludolph said:

I recently installed the EA100 with a dual Aspen PFD/MFD.  The EA100 was installed in the fuselage by the battery.

That sounds odd... the EA100 goes between the Aspen and the autopilot.. wouldn't all of those connections be in the panel?. 

41 minutes ago, Karl Ludolph said:
  • Good to be back, Aspen is aware, and will swap out the EA100 after the shop troubleshoots the connectors.  I have never been an early adopter of avionics, tending to stay with mature systems to avoid this type of problem.
  • Dumped the Vacuum system, got SV, AOA and ADSB on the PFD/MFD. More capability than I have on the jets I fly.  I am enjoying the upgrade so much, I am sorry I waited so long.  

20180112_1111441.thumb.jpg.caebb5850098328f8c4a70d77e605afe.jpg

Both the ACU and EA100 can be mounted in the tail but since they are unpainted boxes need to be grounded properly. If you have and I suspect you do, a zinc chromate painted avionics bay, they should have a separate grounding strap from the box to a ground (I would not rely on the mounting screws to provide this). There should be less than 3 milliohms of resistance. The same mounting care should be done for an EA 100.

5a85b0912ff55_ACUinstall.thumb.JPG.24dd3f47087e686842f46eb44531a91a.JPG

The only thing I would be concerned with is if there is an environmental situation going on. It does allow for the unit to be installed in an avionics bay. Question is whether they considered an unheated bay a problem. Should not be based on the specs.

5a85b31de6d10_ACU2.thumb.JPG.aae79182d2ab1b06e806b4849c093cd3.JPG

The EA 100's environmental spec is: Environmental:   RTCA DO-160E

https://www.element.com/aerospace/rtca-do-160-aerospace-environmental-testing

• Like 1