G5 with KFC 150

81X

Hey team, has anyone else installed a Garmin G5 with their KFC 150?  My HSI gyro was acting up, so I opted to remove all of the remote gyro, HSI and Magnetometer and replace it with a G5 /GAD29b/GMU11 combo.  Flew it today, and everything worked really well (GPSS is sweet!), except the flight director won't come up at all.  The KFC 150 AP engages and flies properly in  FD, HDG, NAV and APR modes but the FD bars don't show up.  Any thoughts?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 81X said:

, and everything worked really well (GPSS is sweet!), except the flight director won't come up at all.  The KFC 150 AP engages and flies properly in  FD, HDG, NAV and APR modes but the

Oh- good questions and I should have been more clear.  I installed only the one G5 in place of the HSI.  I of course have to keep the KI 256 as the attitude source for the KFC 150 until Garmin does magic or the KI 300 comes to fruition (sorry, Aspen, too much $ with the AP interface).  The G5 provides CDI information and heading bug information to the GAD 29B which then passes on to the AP computer.

The command bars that I'm referring to that don't come up are on the KI 256, but the FD mode does work on the AP computer.  

14 minutes ago, Steve W said:

Sounds like the shop knocked off a wire or didn't reconnect something. There should be no reason the G5 install had any impact on the FD.

Yep- I’d check the pin out on the KFC150- you’ll find that there’s a pin for the director bars- those pins or the wire between are probably broken.  It runs from pin-16 on the back of the KFC 150 out to pin-P on the back of the Ki-256.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Only the experimental version of the G5 has the ability to display command bars.  Unless Garmin unlocks that in a future software upgrade you will not see it.

Guess what, if you install the GFC500 you get it,direct from Garmin:
The flight director function is only provided as part of a complete autopilot installation with G5, GMC 507, servos, and properly configured gains for your aircraft type.

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Supposedly they will start Mooney certification in the next 12 months (planned).

Yeah, I saw that.  I'm not holding my breath.  Of course I have a couple of other items that need attention first since I have a fully functioning AP.  I would sure like the digital AP with the extra safety features.

Good question- I find that it's really useful when flying procedures and holds.  While the GTN/GNS draws the procedure entries, holds and turn anticipations, an autopilot in NAV or HDG won't fly the intercepts and turns without overshooting or the pilot messing with the heading bug.  

You can of course also use it for en route and it smooths out the turns on airways.