We have always been at war with Eurasia..

Had an interesting conversation with Sporty’s today. I’d joined their flight club to get free shipping on TKS fluid and cases of oil and when I tried to order more TKS fluid today they told me that flight club “specifically excludes TKS fluid and cases of oil.” I asked them when that had changed and they told me that had always been the case. I referred them to my previous three orders where I had free shipping on my TKS fluid and cases of oil and they told me if that was true, it had been a mistake from the shipping department. 

Reminded me a little bit of “1984” since the only reason I joined the flight crew was for the free shipping on these two items.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get 5-10 Gal containers of TKS fluid without paying $40-50 for shipping?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I don't get the Eurasia reference? :blink:

In the book “1984” they would constantly change who they were at war with, then claim that they had always been at war with that country, ignoring and destroying evidence to the contrary. I thought it was interesting that they claimed this had always been their policy, despite evidence to the contrary. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

In the book “1984” they would constantly change who they were at war with, then claim that they had always been at war with that country, ignoring and destroying evidence to the contrary. I thought it was interesting that they claimed this had always been their policy, despite evidence to the contrary. 

That's pretty deep...

Maybe next time try a "Garfield" or "Calvin and Hobbes" reference...

IMG_1145.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Had an interesting conversation with Sporty’s today. I’d joined their flight club to get free shipping on TKS fluid and cases of oil and when I tried to order more TKS fluid today they told me that flight club “specifically excludes TKS fluid and cases of oil.” I asked them when that had changed and they told me that had always been the case. I referred them to my previous three orders where I had free shipping on my TKS fluid and cases of oil and they told me if that was true, it had been a mistake from the shipping department. 

Reminded me a little bit of “1984” since the only reason I joined the flight crew was for the free shipping on these two items.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get 5-10 Gal containers of TKS fluid without paying $40-50 for shipping?

Buy 35 or 50 gallon barrels.  The cost savings on bulk makes up for the shipping.  If you find 1 or 2 other TKS users, you can split the barrel.

Since it's pretty close (30-40 minutes depending on wind), I generally fly to Spruce a d get two cases of oil, 2 filters and whatever other little thungs are needed at the time (screws, washers, headset gel pads for the wife, spark plug gapping tool, etc.)

Sure! Shipping is included in the cost of the TKS fluid, and there's no Hazmat fee. https://www.caviceprotection.com/store

As the company responsible for the design and manufacture of TKS Ice Protection, we aim to be the one-stop shop for your TKS needs that includes parts, repair station, tech support and TKS fluid.

10 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Come and live in the Uk and its just like being in 1984, 366 cameras spot you on avg eqch day and everything is a sex crime! :)  

I might go for that, it beats living in the US when you're a brown person:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ended up getting two 2.5 gal containers from tksfluid.com with free shipping and no hazmat fee. Haven’t tried it out yet. I got two letters from Sporty’s. One said they had cancelled my flight club membership and were refunding me $30 and another one two days later saying they had automatically renewed my membership for $50. I honestly can’t tell whether their computer did this automatically or they’re just messing with me. 

@jaylw314 your comment reminds me of my friend from school who kept getting “randomly” searched on every single flight. Her comment was “when you are brown and your last name is Arab, you’re pretty much guaranteed to get randomly searched whenever you travel.” She changed her last name and the number of random searches decreased.

3 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Ended up getting two 2.5 gal containers from tksfluid.com with free shipping and no hazmat fee. Haven’t tried it out yet. I got two letters from Sporty’s. One said they had cancelled my flight club membership and were refunding me $30 and another one two days later saying they had automatically renewed my membership for $50. I honestly can’t tell whether their computer did this automatically or they’re just messing with me. 

@jaylw314 your comment reminds me of my friend from school who kept getting “randomly” searched on every single flight. Her comment was “when you are brown and your last name is Arab, you’re pretty much guaranteed to get randomly searched whenever you travel.” She changed her last name and the number of random searches decreased.

Yeah, my wife is not brown and has never gotten a traffic ticket despite being pulled over at least 5 times (once in a school zone), just warnings.  I have been pulled over 5 times in 20 years, and have never gotten a warning, just tickets.

Last year when I took a commercial flight out of Portland, a TSA officer pulled the guy ahead of me out of the line and demanded to see his boarding pass and ID.  He happened to be the only black guy within a 100 ft.  I assume he must have realized that looked bad, so afterwards, he turned to me and demanded mine, the only brown guy within 100 ft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

Yeah, my wife is not brown and has never gotten a traffic ticket despite being pulled over at least 5 times (once in a school zone), just warnings.  I have been pulled over 5 times in 20 years, and have never gotten a warning, just tickets.

Last year when I took a commercial flight out of Portland, a TSA officer pulled the guy ahead of me out of the line and demanded to see his boarding pass and ID.  He happened to be the only black guy within a 100 ft.  I assume he must have realized that looked bad, so afterwards, he turned to me and demanded mine, the only brown guy within 100 ft.

Well, let's see I am Caucasian, active duty military, and have TSA Pre-Check.  This past weekend flying from San Antonio to Atlanta, I was "randomly" selected for additional screening.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Well, let's see I am Caucasian, active duty military, and have TSA Pre-Check.  This past weekend flying from San Antonio to Atlanta, I was "randomly" selected for additional screening.

I am occasionally randomly screened for baggage, pat down and once heading for a cruise was wiped down for "explosive residue". Middle aged male Caucasian, frequent flyer, etc., too cheap to buy Pre-Check but get it sometimes anyway. At ATL, the regular line is sometimes faster than the Pre-Check line, just not on Monday mornings. 

Back to the topic... I don't know about TKS fluid, I have no idea where that stuff comes from, but in the case of oil, I found a distributor for Phillips that is just 50 miles away, so I go there and buy "direct" from the distributor by the case. The price is still retail, but very close to the best deals you can find on the internet and no shipping costs since I go to pick it up. Because I drive an electric car, the out of pocket cost to go and get it is very reasonable. Of course it does cost me hours of my time, but I try to combine it with other reasons to be in the Bay Area. Just an idea. A little Google fu and you may be able to find a distributor near you.

• Like 1

TSA, CBP, etc need to cease and desist using the term “random search”. It is not random. This is a fact and it drives me crazy when DHS employees say that to travelers. And yes - DHS employees are told that it is a “random” search by the agency so they play along with it. Selectees are pre-determined by the computer based on a plethora of data. In a split second when your passport is swiped or PNR data is analyzed, your entire life’s worth of data is analyzed. Now that part is impressive. It isn’t any secret that data analysis will find more bad guys than humans,if applied properly. Clearly if high school students were analyzed that nutcase in FL would have been flagged years ago. But then again about 25,000 kids like him are probably out there already... Can’t get em all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well since it was brought up, my white privilege has gotten me pulled from the line 80 percent of the time I fly commercial. My white wife doesn't get traffic tickets either, but my license was suspended for getting too many in too short a period in my younger days. So you're brown, own an airplane and bitching about your country I assume because you think you're discriminated against?

15 hours ago, jaylw314 said: