Would anyone be interested?

Dream to fly

Alex, your thinking extra hard tonight...

I never heard of an oil cooler causing a problem as a radiator.....

Until, I was researching IO550s prior to purchase....  TCM had a few plumbing issues in Mooneys and Cirri (mid 90s)...  cooling fluid (oil) was draining out of their broken radiators.

Best regards,

-a-

That’s great in a car but for 80 years now, since the Packard diesel, nobody has produced a reliable aero Diesel engine.  The Theilert was a almost-have, but the gearbox Inspecrions that cost 35k every few hundred hours cost so much people pulled them off and put on Lycoming Engines.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 12:29 AM, carusoam said:

Alex, your thinking extra hard tonight...

I never heard of an oil cooler causing a problem as a radiator.....

-a-

He says a water cooled engine has the ability for the radiator to fail and leak- resulting to engine failure.

Our oil coolers are radiators. They are also vital. You get a big leak, you lose oil. Engine locks up. Whats the difference?

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

He says a water cooled engine has the ability for the radiator to fail and leak- resulting to engine failure.

Our oil coolers are radiators. They are also vital. You get a big leak, you lose oil. Engine locks up. Whats the difference?

Alex,

My second sentence of the response is an example of IO550 oil radiator issue that occurred back in the 90s.

The oil cooler broke, and leaked the engine oil, leading to an off Airport landing...

There were a lot of IO550 related oil cooler problems at the time. (More Including in Cirri)

I don’t see much of a difference between oil or water cooling. Leakage is going to be bad...

The oil cooler on the IO550 is very close to the engine block and minimizes the plumbing. Only A small step in the right direction.

having a second cooling system, sounds like twice the opportunity for a leak... hard to judge...

Best regards,

-a-

It seems that technology is far beyond the grasps of some.  I am so sorry I asked the question.  In my wildest dreams I never thought that there would be so much push back from something we all love to do which is fly.  All my attempt was trying to do is gather enough people to make change.   My mistake! 

On 2/14/2018 at 1:14 PM, Dream to fly said:

I'll take a leap and put this out there.  Would anyone like to form a group that pushes our Mooney planes forward into new technology?  Maybe we could meet in the Midwest at some fly-in diner and brainstorm and see what materializes.  Nothing like bucking the system and forcing change:D.

Reminder of the starting point of Joe’s thread....

MS on a Saturday...:)

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

It seems that technology is far beyond the grasps of some.  I am so sorry I asked the question.  In my wildest dreams I never thought that there would be so much push back from something we all love to do which is fly.  All my attempt was trying to do is gather enough people to make change.   My mistake! 

So just make ad homynim attacks on those who don't see things the same way you do.