speed brake problem- quirky?!

pkofman

On 2/14/2018 at 12:44 AM, donkaye said:

It could be a simple $10 issue, if the speed brakes are like mine.  I'm not sure when precise flight changed their speed brakes.  I have a 1991 Bravo and there is a spring that handles the retract.  They break every year or two.  I bought 4 of them from Precise Flight and proactively change them yearly at Annual.  It's a ½ hour job for each one, as each speed brake needs to be removed.

Could you take a picture of the spring you have? Ideally next to a ruler...

Thanks

William 

On 2/14/2018 at 12:44 AM, donkaye said:

It could be a simple $10 issue, if the speed brakes are like mine.  I'm not sure when precise flight changed their speed brakes.  I have a 1991 Bravo and there is a spring that handles the retract.  They break every year or two.  I bought 4 of them from Precise Flight and proactively change them yearly at Annual.  It's a ½ hour job for each one, as each speed brake needs to be removed.

Could you take a picture of the spring you have? Ideally next to a ruler...

Thanks

William 

• 7 months later...
On 2/13/2018 at 8:59 PM, DonMuncy said:

I recently had one speed brake that did not fully retract when commanded, but did when I turned off the master. Similar to your problem. Take both of them out and send them to Precise Flight. They are good people to deal with. Fixed on time, but mine cost $1350.

when you removed the speed brakes did a mechanic have to reinstall them?

57 minutes ago, Boo111492 said:

when you removed the speed brakes did a mechanic have to reinstall them?

Expect that the answer is yes…

I don’t recall R&R of speed brakes being mentioned on the list of maintenance a pilot/owner is allowed to do…

There is a list of 20+ items that uses some interpretation to do some things…

Search for the list… and work the interpretations… see what you come up with…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 year later...

Looking at SB100 series info and confirmed with Precise Flight that they are recommending Aeroshell22 now instead of AS7 and definitely not spray lube.

But regarding the return spring they said they are “no longer offering any internal components due to concern for liability.”  Instead they are only offering full service for $1999.

Sounds like the part is a Century Spring Corp plated return spring; I believe PN HD-01691. Does anyone have an alternate part source for this?

I was lubricating the SB leading up to annual and noticed the return springs are getting weathered and I don’t think they have ever been serviced other than occasional lube?  Inquisitive for future reference / if I should just expect for having to send them with any issue for comprehensive service plan?