Used serviceable IO-360-A1A?

Just saw your picture today. That filter is 100% totally airworthy and within lycoming specs. 

Your fly 10hr and check filter idea should get you pretty far. I would check the sump screen. I would get another IA to look at it as well 

-Matt

On 5/30/2018 at 1:17 PM, TexMooney said:

Member kinss might have a good engine.

Thanks Tex, Ill hold onto that if we end up needs ngnan engine afterall. So far indications are it may have been a transient thing.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:58 PM, KSMooniac said:

These engines are stone-simple and easy to remove and disassemble.

Say what?!

Seriously, I've discovered that once you have done something on a Mooney, the second time is easier. Then the third time is easier still...

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2019 at 11:10 PM, lithium366 said:

@Stephen what was the outcome? My filter looks exactly the same 2 months after I purchased my bird. Did the metal go away or you end up having a serious surgery? If anything I am on 10h probation and soothing myself on others happy ending stories

There is another thread here, but I kept seeing fines in the filter and though they looked very minimal, I wanted to put the plane up for sale (need to get something about 60kts faster cruise to support my changed business trips) and wanted the engine absolutely squared away prior to passing it on to another owner. I took it to Jewell Aviation in Kennett, MO and they removed, tore down the engine and found out it needed cam, lifters (both spalled) and a case (mine was cracked in the cam journal and the case was not repairable). Rather than doing an IRAN, I had them do the complete overhaul.

If your aircraft is making fines I would get it to a reputable engine shop and have them *minimally* pull a cylinder or two and inspect what they can to see if you have spalling. If you do need to IRAN/Overhaul. I would strongly suggest converting to DLC lifters (what I did) or converting case/lifters to rollers as IO360 glass jaw weakness (i.e. say 500 hours and 2 owners ago the plane sat too long and rusted the lifters/cam and it is now a time bomb) seems to be mostly solvable. David at Jewell can provide detail on the DLC lifters if your shop doesn't know about them; they are somewhat new to the IO360 market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

There is another thread here, but I kept seeing fines in the filter and though they looked very minimal, I wanted to put the plane up for sale (need to get something about 60kts faster cruise to support my changed business trips) and wanted the engine absolutely squared away prior to passing it on to another owner. I took it to Jewell Aviation in Kennett, MO and they removed, tore down the engine and found out it needed cam, lifters (both spalled) and a case (mine was cracked in the cam journal and the case was not repairable). Rather than doing an IRAN, I had them do the complete overhaul.

If your aircraft is making fines I would get it to a reputable engine shop and have them *minimally* pull a cylinder or two and inspect what they can to see if you have spalling. If you do need to IRAN/Overhaul. I would strongly suggest converting to DLC lifters (what I did) or converting case/lifters to rollers as IO360 glass jaw weakness (i.e. say 500 hours and 2 owners ago the plane sat too long and rusted the lifters/cam and it is now a time bomb) seems to be mostly solvable. David at Jewell can provide detail on the DLC lifters if your shop doesn't know about them; they are somewhat new to the IO360 market.

Thank you for an update. I am thinking of IRAN (of course no one opened the engine yet to evaluate the damage and I still hope it is something else mostly because Blackstone lab shows elevated nickel along with iron)  but I appreciate if you PM me with estimates on what IRON could have cost your before you decided on an overhaul. 

• 1 year later...