Garmin G5 Flush Mount $50 / 75

Aerodon

I can provide a CAD and machining service to cut the backplate for a flush mount for single and dual Garmin G5 installations. The latest G5 installation manual gives instructions for cutting and trimming the Garmin mount, or instructions for fabricating a plate and spacers as shown.  The location of the 6 (4) screws is discretionary, I can move them around as required.  

The top plate shown can be used as a drilling / cutting template.

Aerodon

supercub180@gmail.com.

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6558.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Aerodon said:

I can provide a CAD and machining service to cut the backplate for a flush mount for single and dual Garmin G5 installations.

Confirming based on the title that the single if $50 and the dual is $75?  

31 minutes ago, BDPetersen said:

Interesting. What is the minimum spacing in regards to surrounding gages? I have a single (AI) installed but the panel on my “C” is tight.

Garmin give some guidance on how much material you need to leave when you cut the panel.  I'd suggest cutting out the shape of a single or dual G5, then trying on your panel.  Then figure out where the 4 or 6 mounting screws can go.  My sample has the mounting holes 3 15/16" apart, or 1/4" from the edge of the cutout.  This leaves 3/16" between the edge of the hole and edge of the cutout, about the minimum you would want to have (1.5D).

Garmin shows the top two screws above the unit, and bottom two screws on the side.

If you sketch out what you need, I can easily modify my drawing and cut accordingly.

Aerodon

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.20.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.20.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.28.50 PM.png

4 hours ago, BDPetersen said:

Interesting. What is the minimum spacing in regards to surrounding gages? I have a single (AI) installed but the panel on my “C” is tight.

I had a look at the standard M20C panel, and don't think it can be modified to accept a flush mount G5.  But here's this afternoons attempt at moving instruments around a bit, and installing an EDM900 to replace the Garmin gauges.

I read the thread about the difficulties of installing gyro's in a tilted panel - seems to me the installation of dual G5's solves this problem, as it can accommodate as much as 15 degrees?

I know it gets expensive real quick, but a dual G5 installation along with an EDM900 will remove quite a bit of weight and known 'failure points'.

Aerodon

supercub180@gmail.com

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 4.06.49 PM.png

• Like 1

AeroDon’s brackets seem similar to the below.  My hangar neighbor shared his G5 install experience, and apparently included these as part of the job in his Grumman Yankee...

https://www.steinair.com/product/garmin-g5-flush-mount-bracket/

I kinda’ like the look of Don’s better, to be honest...

Steve

4 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

AeroDon’s brackets seem similar to the below.  My hangar neighbor shared his G5 install experience, and apparently included these as part of the job in his Grumman Yankee...

https://www.steinair.com/product/garmin-g5-flush-mount-bracket/

I kinda’ like the look of Don’s better, to be honest...

Steve

Steve, the earlier G5 installation manual said not to flush mount.  The Stein Air is nice, needs to be riveted to the panel (I guess it could be screwed on).  The issue is how comfortable the guy signing it out is going to be.  The manual and STC is pretty specific, and allows the field fabrication of a plate out of 0.093 2024-T3.  Garmin sell a plate for $95 and you need to trim it down to size, drill the mounting holes, cut it in half for single installations.  I do all that for you and can custom locate the mounting holes and trimming.

Thanks for your comments.  Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Aerodon is building a new panel for my 77’ J. We started the ground work about December and are very close to the final. We’ve had a lot of extra time to plan things out and get everything the way I would like. And this mount with my single G5 will look great.

901b801ca7b158abdd6a8ecb4d7c2573.jpg7a4d7085c5cfb1312867b0f65e06591b.jpg7ae6b3d5858b22acbefc8b732bbc48fe.jpgc8838e813a4b65b3f12e864ffeb6b678.jpg

The front plate is just to simulate the panel and will give me a template to drill the mounting holes. It’s super stable with the aluminum spacers that give the flush position.

Hard to go wrong with this mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, teejayevans said:

All these plates look like they will overlap with surrounding instrument holes? The screenshot of the Garmin manual shows a bracket with cutouts.

Teejay,  just to be clear, the front plate shown above is the drilling / cutting template used to cut an existing panel.  So yes, it will probably overlap.  The Garmin rear plate is supplied larger than needed and needs to be trimmed to fit and the mounting holes drilled to match your choice of mounting holes.  Garmin show two holes above and below, and one on each side.  I chose a more symmetrical layout.

I am machining a new front panel, with a matching rear plate.  And yes, will probably machine some more metal off to allow space to the adjacent instruments.  Its definitely a challenge to fit  a flush mount G5 in.

Don

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 8.56.51 PM.png

• Like 1

Jpi make a flushmount like the Stein G5 mount.  It has 8 mounting screws, although only 4 are needed.  I can easily make a Garmin G5  plate and spacer  style mount, the advantage would be that I can more easily customize the location of 4 mounting screws for aethestics are well as practicality.  And by using smaller spacers, you can have the EDM900 protrude 1/8” like the G5,

thanks for the idea, Aerodon

• Like 1

Jpi make a flushmount like the Stein G5 mount.  It has 8 mounting screws, although only 4 are needed.  I can easily make a Garmin G5  plate and spacer  style mount, the advantage would be that I can more easily customize the location of 4 mounting screws for aethestics are well as practicality.  And by using smaller spacers, you can have the EDM900 protrude 1/8” like the G5,

I might have to send my jpi flush mount back...:)

11 hours ago, Aerodon said:

Its just not nearly as compact as yours. Yours has 4 standoffs right next to the G5 unit. The JPI has this large flange which eats up a lot of panel space. Not a good solution. Yours is better.

flush-mount.jpg

Attached is a screen shot of an EDM900 flush mount.  The top one is the standard '8 hole' JPI flush mount.  The second two are my design similar to the Garmin G5 mount.  A rectangular 0.093 plate is set back with 4 x 3/8" spacers to hold the EDM 'clamping ring'.  The 4 holes can go anywhere around the perimeter.  Top and bottom, or side by side. 

If I was cutting the panel at the same time, I would look at where the adjacent instrument screws are and then line them up so it looks neater.

Thanks for the idea #jetdriven.

Aerodon

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 10.23.58 AM.png

• Like 1

And here's my EDM900 flush mount.  I made all three styles - two screws above and below, two on either side, and the standard 8 hole JPI style.  The JPI mount takes up a lot of space, and when you start trimming you can loose two or more mounting screws.

I think I will try using the G5 style mount in the future, with the screws location chosen to match the neighbouring instruments.

Aerodon

IMG_6668.JPG

IMG_6667.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG

• 1 month later...

Don I was thinking about flush mounting my dual G5, but clearance between instruments laterally is an issue (especially since I have NuLites already ground down around the bezel) you think the G5 mount can be trimmed further laterally - maybe would need thicker Alclad to make up for the material taken down. 

I might take a couple of measurements but here’s a rough idea of how tightly spaced my panel is.  

513D1651-D204-40D1-A383-8951893D7310.jpeg

Brad, I think Rev 2.0 pictured above will fit - I can send the template to you to try. I'd like to leave a bit more material around the 6 mounting holes, but it does meet the specs that Garmin call out in the installation manual.  Remember that the final is made out of 0.093, so its pretty sturdy. The hard part will be cutting the rectangular hole.

Also, remember that this plate is about 3/8-1/2" behind the panel, so i don't think it will interfere with the NuLites.

Don

• 1 month later...

I've revised the mounts slightly.  Included the pilot holes to mark the corners of the panel for cutting, and moved the mounting holes around to give 1.5D minimum material around the holes (on the mount and the panel).   The mount fits between instruments on a Mooney, and above an HSI if installed.

Aerodon

IMG_7257.JPG

IMG_7258.JPG

IMG_7219.JPG

IMG_7220.JPG

• Like 4

I've revised the mounts slightly.  Included the pilot holes to mark the corners of the panel for cutting, and moved the mounting holes around to give 1.5D minimum material around the holes (on the mount and the panel).   The mount fits between instruments on a Mooney, and above an HSI if installed.
Aerodon

IMG_7257.JPG.b19fdbc107a47fa13b4b63cb74cd5f14.JPG
IMG_7258.JPG.4388e2fa29d5aee340e4aa4c5c0e775c.JPG
IMG_7219.thumb.JPG.7befbb9736f03c924386c5a6d7ebf84e.JPG
IMG_7220.thumb.JPG.1d4ec8ec55c032b4dcce7feec6c09fc8.JPG

They will look beautiful behind my panel!!!!:)