Pre Purchase Inspection in CT

Charles22

Happy Sunday, 

I am looking at purchasing a J model Mooney in Hartford, CT and need some recommendations for a shop to do a pre purchase on the plane. I have heard of Reliant Air in Danbury but that is about it, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Sincerely, 

Charles 

I used Total Aircraft (based at Brainard airport in Hartford, CT) for my prebuy inspection of my 1987 M20J and was very satisfied with their findings.   At the time  (10 years ago) they employed a former Mooney Service Center mechanic who specifically worked on my Mooney inspection.  Following the inspection I also used them to remedy the issues they uncovered.

Hope all goes well with your inspection and subsequent Mooney ownership.

Jim Simmons

Cheshire, CT

Jim, 

Fantastic. Total is the shop which currently maintains the airplane. They seem to have done a lot of good work on it in recent years and current owner has kept it in good condition. 

I just want my pre purchase to be done by someone who is not maintaining the airplane currently. 

Charles Tari-Head

Hi Charles,

I can recommend Three Wing Aviation in Bridgeport CT (KBDR). I had my Mooney there for the entire preparation of the FAA registration and the DAR inspection. All went well. Best is to talk to Jared but Kyle is your man. He is a former Mooney Service Centre mechanic and knows Mooneys inside out. I haven't found a qualified Mooney question that Kyle hasn't found a good answer to. All the work was in very good quality.  I think you are in good hands with a Mooney there. I know that Three Wing is dealing with pre buys on a frequent base.

Hendrik
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, flumag said:
Hi Charles,

I can recommend Three Wing Aviation in Bridgeport CT (KBDR). I had my Mooney there for the entire preparation of the FAA registration and the DAR inspection. All went well. Best is to talk to Jared but Kyle is your man. He is a former Mooney Service Centre mechanic and knows Mooneys inside out. I haven't found a qualified Mooney question that Kyle hasn't found a good answer to. All the work was in very good quality.  I think you are in good hands with a Mooney there. I know that Three Wing is dealing with pre buys on a frequent base.

Hendrik

Ditto.  They worked on my Socata between 2008 and 2010, and did the PPI.  Tony DiNuzzo (their IA) is also someone with whom you want to engage.  Jared, although a good contact, is not an A&P, but a repairman and avionics guy who co-owns the place.  I know them well and can recommend them.  Not the cheapest, but indeed thorough.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 8:11 AM, Charles22 said:

Happy Sunday, 

I am looking at purchasing a J model Mooney in Hartford, CT and need some recommendations for a shop to do a pre purchase on the plane. I have heard of Reliant Air in Danbury but that is about it, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Sincerely, 

Charles 

Charles - any update on this?

Russell at MMK Meridan completely restores Mooney's he was working on a J when I met him.  (sorry don't have his number, BUT he's in the only hanger there)  I had to divert there in my trainer, (not my J) lost oil pressure at night, wound up being failed seam in the oil cooler took Russell about 1 minute to find problem.  

AirMods is a MSC so couldn't go wrong there either.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 3:05 PM, StevenL757 said:

Charles - any update on this?

Yes, change of plans. Found a mint M20F that is practically a 201. It is currently at Air Mods under going some post pre purchase squawk clearing. Twin Aspen, ADS-B compliant, etc...