Aspen prices

jasona900

Does the G5 support some FDs now? 
I have a Century 41 dual que, I don’t believe the aspen supports a dual que. If the G5 can I will probably go that route. Although I’d prefer the Aspen.
Cheers,
Dan

The Aspen only supports the single cue. I’ve got some time on the double cue. A bit different than the single cue I am using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for laying is all out like this.   I knew the aspen had a lot of the same cool features you mentioned, as the sandel3308 also has.  Multiple nav needles, rmi, etc.  
the g5 does display v speeds along the tape.  I didn’t know it also has an altitude alert.  I thought it was just a bug.  Still learning to use its features.  
The more I talk about this the more I wish I had put the 660 in the panel next to the G5s to display traffic, weather, and synthetic vision with the gdl39 3D.    

I find the MFD a major plus for IFR. If I didn’t have the Aspen MFD, I certainly would want something to display weather and traffic. Here are a few traffic and weather shots.

This is a storm I am flying towards.

de2a0068996fb7ad7a0e7adf8e155e59.jpg

And the associated SIGMET downloaded to the MFD.

6d108669e9172698a2bbaa4541f2c33b.jpg

Traffic on the PFD. I have it set at a 3 nm range. You can see the traffic that is on the MFD (set at 5nm) show up on the HSI’s map.

26a5b241e080bef4cc302cb46377ae8a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Browncbr1 said:

I am pretty sure the g5/gad29b can drive stec APs, but I would have to reference the manual about which models.  I know that with mine, I just turn the AP on and then control it from the G5 HSI. 

As I understand it, the G5 does not provide an altitude select function to the STEC.  I have already been spoiled by the ability to select a vertical speed on my 55x and then hold an altitude with the push of a button.  But I really do see value in the ability to drive a preselected altitude to the autopilot.  

• Like 1

The Aspen does NOT supply an altitude pre-select or vertical speed to my KFC150. So that's why I retained the original encoding altimeter and pre-select. I consider this a safety feature for high altitude flight. When I'm at or above FL200 I always have the pre-select armed for lower, usually 12,500 and the vertical speed set for 1000 ft/min down. Then it only takes a single button push to send me down to thicker air.

I wish the Aspen would support this for the KFC150.

10 hours ago, MIm20c said:

10 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

The more I talk about this the more I wish I had put the 660 in the panel next to the G5s to display traffic, weather, and synthetic vision with the gdl39 3D.    

It would not be legal via the STC. Since only the AI portion of the G5 AI is certified primary everything else needs to be kept in the same position. 

Nothing in the stc says you can’t move things around. One would be able to fit a 660 vertically and retain all primary instruments on the left panel. Heck you should have seen my original shot gun panel!

Edited by Browncbr1

8 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Nothing in the stc says you can’t move things around. One would be able to fit a 660 vertically and retain all primary instruments on the left panel. Heck you should have seen my original shot gun panel!

I agree with this 100% especially with the shotgun panels that were original. However, for normal panels they specified, in the first few pages of the installation manual, that all other primary instrument remain in their current approved locations.  But IMO as long as everything’s retained there should not be a problem. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

That’s my thought - if the 660 can be physically fit say just to the right of the certified instrument it would not be officially there for anything but “unofficial” situational awareness.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I agree with this 100% especially with the shotgun panels that were original. However, for normal panels they specified, in the first few pages of the installation manual, that all other primary instrument remain in their current approved locations.  But IMO as long as everything’s retained there should not be a problem. 

Yea, in my plane, it seems instruments were approved to go randomly anywhere.  Haha.  

• Like 2

Any pictures of it in the vertical orientation?  I remember a post on BT with a flush mount (minus air gizmo) that looked very nice next to an Aspen I think. 

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Any pictures of it in the vertical orientation?  I remember a post on BT with a flush mount (minus air gizmo) that looked very nice next to an Aspen I think. 

Yea a guy on BT did it in his plane very nicely.  It is best done without the air gizmo dock because it is bigger than need be.  

2 hours ago, Cruiser said:

I wonder how some of these "non standard" panel installations will effect the resale price of the plane? 

With all the new choices in certified and non-certified avionics that are being installed in our planes the combinations could be endless......

In an 8 hole panel (4 on top, 4 on bottom), the 660 fits vertically taking up one column, so you could still have a 6 pack of round instruments.  On my panel, i would just move my #2 CDI (ki209) to the right panel and pull the D2, which I’ve already done. 

2 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

In an 8 hole panel (4 on top, 4 on bottom), the 660 fits vertically taking up one column, so you could still have a 6 pack of round instruments.  On my panel, i would just move my #2 CDI (ki209) to the right panel and pull the D2, which I’ve already done. 

Do you have a picture of that?

Does the bare wire attachment lock the 660 in place or does the air gizmo mechanically do so?  From the link it looks like the lever to release the 660 sticks out the side of the floating panel. Wondering if it just trips a button on the bare wire mount?

46 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Does the bare wire attachment lock the 660 in place or does the air gizmo mechanically do so?  From the link it looks like the lever to release the 660 sticks out the side of the floating panel. Wondering if it just trips a button on the bare wire mount?

I’m not sure how the air gizmo works, but the bare wire kit for the 660 has a button on the back.  If the air gizmo requires the bare wire kit, then I would assume your thinking is correct. 

But if I were to do it, I’d do it just like the guy on BT did and make a tray for it to mount flush and utilize the bare wire kit.  If you notice, the panel floats out a little from the center panel.  You could reach your finger in there to push the button.  That’s how my panel is too.  There is about an inch there between the panel and radio stack. 

Edited by Browncbr1