Aspen prices

jasona900

Just now, jasona900 said:

Seems like the prices on Aspens are coming down... could a new product release be in the near future?

More likely they are competing to avoid losing sales to the G5. Like I said before, competition is good for us. As long as it doesn't eliminate companies that help drive the competition...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

More likely they are competing to avoid losing sales to the G5. Like I said before, competition is good for us. As long as it doesn't eliminate companies that help drive the competition...

That is a good point, and could very well be true.   Going into annual next week, and depending on how that goes, an Aspen my be next.  Hoping for an even better deal at Sun n Fun. 

Seems like the prices on Aspens are coming down... could a new product release be in the near future?
I just got a quote on a 2000 system and the price was pretty decent. Avionics guy said the rep was throwing in AOA and something else too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, NJMac said:

I just got a quote on a 2000 system and the price was pretty decent. Avionics guy said the rep was throwing in AOA and something else too.

You probably will end up with SVT along with the AoA indicator. There is a lot of stuff packed into the Aspen 2000, especially when you load in the ADS-B data. One view of the SVT:

IMG_2086.thumb.jpg.881f609b9620c524e188e81ee4f858a3.jpg

Taxiing onto the runway at Smoketown (S37):

5a7dd36981fdc_AspenNew.thumb.jpg.18b31323bfc8e45d25cf565de5420657.jpg

• Like 2

You probably will end up with SVT along with the AoA indicator. There is a lot of stuff packed into the Aspen 2000, especially when you load in the ADS-B data. One view of the SVT:
IMG_2086.thumb.jpg.881f609b9620c524e188e81ee4f858a3.jpg
Taxiing onto the runway at Smoketown (S37):
5a7dd36981fdc_AspenNew.thumb.jpg.18b31323bfc8e45d25cf565de5420657.jpg
Man. Making the decision easier. Thanks! My wife asked me what i wanted for my birthday next week, said she had nothing. I told her an evening with her in one of her sexy outfits and an aspen 2000. She didnt object.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agree it will be interesting indeed to see what new stuff - if anything - Aspen comes up with to replace the Evolution product.  Curious to know how such a replacement(s) will compete with the new Garmin tXi stuff - in both performance and pricing...given the G500 and G600 are no longer available to order.

There is a Class 3 Aspen 2000 (for the big planes) for sale on Beechtalk for $11k with little interest it seems...seems like a bargain.

I would like a little larger form factor than the single screen Aspen, like the new Garmin 500 txi 7" unit, but at discounted Aspen prices! I love the idea of the dual G5's, but like all of the extra info and capability in the single Aspen. Whatever I end up choosing, I'm glad there are multiple options now, and more coming.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Another issue I found (and one that is making my decision to wait a little easier) is how hard it may be to find good avionics shop to do the install without a long waiting list.  When getting quotes back in December, I was told the earliest I could do an install was in May!  The ASD-B installs are keeping at least the shop I called very busy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Agree it will be interesting indeed to see what new stuff - if anything - ASPEN comes up with to replace the Evolution product.  Curious to know how such a replacement(s) will compete with the new Garmin tXi stuff - in both performance and pricing...given the G500 and G600 are no longer available to order.

Actually, looking at the features of the 7" tXi it appears to be a clone of the ASPEN PFD.

I see a couple of potential problems. The touchscreen and only one dual knob is going to make it very difficult to control in any kind of turbulence. It appears to have the same multi-level menus as the GTN series. NOT good in my opinion. I suspect Garmin already knows this, they offer an optional panel to control the most used functions. The optional GCU 485 adds dedicated knobs for heading, altitude, vertical speed, airspeed, and BARO setting and a couple of others.

Other than that, there is nothing really new and the ASPEN boxes still have more flexibility. Garmin must have been feeling the pinch from ASPEN .......

Also the advertised price is in line with the ASPEN PFD, but by the time you get all the optional features it is going to be much, much more money. At this point I don't see anything to get excited about. I'll pass......

Just saw the written quote. Aspen 2000 System including angle-of-attack and synthetic vision for $16900. Kind of hard to say no to the quote at that price. Supposedly their rep wants it paid for this month. But I'm inclined to think that this might be the new normal pricing?

1 minute ago, milotron said:

Paul, what remains from the King gyro and HSI system after the Aspen install? Anything left at all?  Overall weight savings?

I removed the King AI, HSI, Turn Coordinator, VSI and a CDI. This allowed me to remove the vacuum system. As I only installed the Aspen PFD, I kept the ASI and Altimeter. I added an electric AI.

The Aspen drives the KFC150 and interfaces with the GPS, and both Nav1 and Nav2 thus removing the need for the CDI. The Aspen also provides GPSS, course deviation and glide slope indications.

I have both an Aspen PFD and a Garmin G5. Seeing them in operation side by side, I think the Aspen is worth every penny over the G5. They are in two completely different categories.

@"Chocks" was riding along with me today and though he's ridden with me several times, he was still amazed at the amount of information all centralized and presented on the Aspen PFD.

The entire panel upgrade for me saved almost 30 lbs. But that was a lot more than just the Aspen. It was a full overhaul with a lot of legacy stuff pulled out and miles of old cable and wires removed.

• Like 3

As someone learning to fly instrumentation, having all my scan data in one location, on the Aspen, is invaluable. 

@gsxrpilot is absolutely right, that the Aspen and G5 are in two different categories. Even with the dual G5’s the Aspen provides more - and more appropriate - data that makes IMC flying much safer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jasona900 said:

Hopefully they do have something new. 

But without something new I think they have no choice but to lower prices in view of the competition. The problem is, imo, that lowering price in and of itself cannot save a company. They have to be able and willing to actually compete otherwise they get eliminated. And competing means being flexible to change. It wouldn't be good for us and we don't need another avionics company eliminated.

They certainly talk the talk but talk is cheap and it can cost a fortune...

"...a company like ours that prides itself on innovation we try to find a product and be ahead of the curve..if we sit and wait until a product develops it's usually too late..."  John Uczekaj, pres and CEO Aspen avionics.

DO IT THEN! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PTK said:

Hopefully they do have something new. 

But without something new I think they have no choice but to lower prices in view of the competition. The problem is, imo, that lowering price in and of itself cannot save a company. They have to be able and willing to actually compete otherwise they get eliminated. And competing means being flexible to change. It wouldn't be good for us and we don't need another avionics company eliminated.

They certainly talk the talk but talk is cheap and it can cost a fortune...

"...a company like ours that prides itself on innovation we try to find a product and be ahead of the curve..if we sit and wait until a product develops it's usually too late..."  John Uczekaj, pres and CEO Aspen avionics.

DO IT THEN! 

They need new hardware to survive the future. Even if it were mostly the same form factor / perhaps new hirez screens and new processors. Even if cheaper I’m reticent to consider purchasing today New ten year old tech.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

They need new hardware to survive the future. Even if it were mostly the same form factor / perhaps new hirez screens and new processors. Even if cheaper I’m reticent to consider purchasing today New ten year old tech.

The important thing is they have hardware now not just pretty pictures and broken promises.  BK just bumped production another six months...

I curious what a diehard BK supporter would do if the 256 went TU and he or she was AOG until a replacement was found. 3k to rebuild the Swiss Watch that has a used value of $200?  1k to buy and setup a used one and play Russian Roulette? Or keep the bird looking like new in the hanger while calling the local salesman on a weekly basis?

Joking aside I feel that all the companies need to continue innovating, hopefully at a faster rate. I hope the FAA will allow companies that have proven certified equipment to fast track changes and upgrades to keep safety and enjoyment up. Hundreds of installers around the country are already familiar with the Aspen system and will be able to support those changes over reasonable time frames. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

If it wouldn’t have taken two Aspens to allow me to remove my vacuum pump I wouldn’t have the G5 waiting to be installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you would have added a L3 500, <$3k upcharge, you could’ve removed everything else not just the vacuum pump. 

18 hours ago, NJMac said:

Just saw the written quote. Aspen 2000 System including angle-of-attack and synthetic vision for $16900. Kind of hard to say no to the quote at that price. Supposedly their rep wants it paid for this month. But I'm inclined to think that this might be the new normal pricing?

I think this is the new standard pricing. Is that price the installed price?

13 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

The important thing is they have hardware now not just pretty pictures and broken promises.  BK just bumped production another six months...

Please post your source. My info is in fact very different.

I think this is the new standard pricing. Is that price the installed price?
No, install was extra. Ive got to wait to make sure we dont have a surprise tax liability. So ill see if they make the same deal in March or April.