I thought I always wanted to be an airline pilot!,

thinwing

On 2/9/2018 at 7:21 AM, teejayevans said:

The problem was the 3 wives and countless kids, not the flying. If he had stayed single he could have afforded a hangar full of planes.

Every time I feel depressed about my perpetual single status, I have to remember this.  I know so many people who's lives have been ruined by their wives and kids.  

On 2/16/2018 at 8:27 AM, Hank said:

"You can sleep in a plane, but you cannot fly a house." -- a divorced pilot friend 

Not true....

A nomadic Alaskan family came by this way a few years ago in a Gumman Goose outfitted like a mobile home.  Which apparently was their only home, and they were touring the world.

6 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Not true....

A nomadic Alaskan family came by this way a few years ago in a Gumman Goose outfitted like a mobile home.  Which apparently was their only home, and they were touring the world.

I didnt say you can't fly your "home," I said you can't fly a "house." There's a difference, ask anyone towing a Tiny Home around the country; they're neat, and very hot right now, but they arent "houses" either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hank said:

I didnt say you can't fly your "home," I said you can't fly a "house." There's a difference, ask anyone towing a Tiny Home around the country; they're neat, and very hot right now, but they arent "houses" either.

I have heard of VERY rich people purchasing an airbus A380 and then outfitting them as comfortable homes inside.  If I do that ... would it count?

34 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I have heard of VERY rich people purchasing an airbus A380 and then outfitting them as comfortable homes inside.  If I do that ... would it count?

Sure! Go for it! But we need pictures of the paint job, and you on the flight deck at altitude . . . Sorry you won't be attending any pancake breakfasts in your new ride, though . . . . . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hank said:

Sure! Go for it! But we need pictures of the paint job, and you on the flight deck at altitude . . . Sorry you won't be attending any pancake breakfasts in your new ride, though . . . . . 

My airbus a380 will have a few toys inside.  A Ferrari.  A carbon crafter cub.  A mooney.  A helicopter.  Ill be there.  A lap pool.  A 5 star chef.  A disco ball.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

My airbus a380 will have a few toys inside.  A Ferrari.  A carbon crafter cub.  A mooney.  A helicopter.  Ill be there.  A lap pool.  A 5 star chef.  A disco ball.

That's quite an eclectic list there, Erik.

Speaking of Mooneys, have you been able to pick yours up yet? Mine was in for a simple pitot static test, was finally able to bring it home today after a week and a half of waiting. Makes me  much more sympathetic for your extra downtime for airport improvements.

32 minutes ago, steingar said:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A week to order & install static drain, Altimeter & VSI. One instrument shippedlate, arriving Fri afternoon so I couldn't pick it up then. Installed Mon, but a mech took his tester, so completed Tue. I had to work Tue- Fri that week, wrather sucked. Cancelled Sat due to widespread <500' ceilings. Made it up Sunday, 2nd customer pickup that morning (2 hour drive ishard to arrange a rid . . . ). But life is good now, I'm just broke . . .

11 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

@Hank did you notice any indications of a static leak before the pitot-static test?

Only if a leak would create high rates of climb--I was sometimes seeing 1200 fpm, once all the way to 6500 msl. Don't recall checking the altimeter against what's shown on the transponder, but ATC didn't complain.

16 hours ago, Hank said:

A week to order & install static drain, Altimeter & VSI. One instrument shippedlate, arriving Fri afternoon so I couldn't pick it up then. Installed Mon, but a mech took his tester, so completed Tue. I had to work Tue- Fri that week, wrather sucked. Cancelled Sat due to widespread <500' ceilings. Made it up Sunday, 2nd customer pickup that morning (2 hour drive ishard to arrange a rid . . . ). But life is good now, I'm just broke . . .

You went the wrong way.  My aircraft has been sitting in an avionics shop since Thanksgiving.

The lesson is:  Do no get divorced!
Never get a divorce!
Divorce is Wrong!
There is no reason to ever get divorced!
Don't you know, hitmen are cheaper than lawyers?
And they do the job today.

That's from "Dial a Hitman" by Big Audio Dynamite; formed by Mick Jones, from The Clash.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

3 months?! What could possibly take that long?

Not long after it arrived the guy who was supposed to install the avionics got his six fired.  Promised labor never showed up, so there's only one dude doing all the avionics.  Do the math.  There was a lack of transparency as well, I would have been happy to retrieve the aircraft and return with it when the labor was available to do the work.

You can have good, cheap, or fast, but never all three.  I guess I chose the first two.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this one better:

Once upon a time a pilot found a beautiful princess and asked her, "Will you marry me?"

The princess said, "No!"

And the pilot lived happily ever after and flew jets all over the world and drove hot cars and chased skinny long-legged big-breasted flight attendants and hunted and fished and went to topless bars and dated women half his age and drank Weihenstephaner German beer and Captain Morgan and never heard bitching and never paid child support or alimony and kept his house and guns and ate cold leftover meals, potato chips and beans and blew enormous farts and never got cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family thought he was frickin' cool as hell and he had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up........

The end.

I copied it from http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/topic/18963-cool-pilot-story/ , but it has been all over the Internet for quite awhile.

It has a happier ending.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hank said:

You're happy in a high wing??

The fisherman was already taken and the low wing was not available so the alternative was being the groom on the beach. So I will answer your question with a question. Would you be happy in a high wing?

15 minutes ago, kmyfm20s said:

I will answer your question with a question. Would you be happy in a high wing?

I was, until I flew my Mooney for the first time. Then bought it. The rest is a full logbook a d a good start on Logbook #2 . . . .

Yes I have about 1600 hours in 182’s I’ve owned. A lot of fun for what I used them for, camping and dirt strips. I always loved Mooney’s and now they fit my mission. About 900 hours and couldn’t be happier. I even camp and land on dirt/grass strips with it. Just not the smaller ones I used to. 

• Like 1