Porpoising leads to gear collapse accident

kortopates

2 minutes ago, ShuRugal said:

If you have a different definition for flare, share it. Otherwise, all you are doing is being contrary.

Hahahaha....  Peter Garmin specializes in being contrary.  #don'tfeedthetrolls

• Like 3

Hahahaha....  Peter Garmin specializes in being contrary.  #don'tfeedthetrolls

Peter Garmin is the kind of guy you could give $100 and he would complain that it was in $20 increments instead of $10.

Personally if he ever agreed with us on anything, I’d be worried something is wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShuRugal said:

During which, a high angle of attack is assumed placing the aircraft into a landing posture. This is an extremely broadly accepted definition.

If you have a different definition for flare, share it.

My definition of flare is a pitch increase for the purpose of slowing down. That imo is not the goal in our small planes.

What needs to happen is a deliberate smooth transition from approach phase to slow flight in the landing configuration followed by touch down on the mains while controlling airspeed, height above the runway and descent rate. This is the goal.

My definition of flare is a pitch increase for the purpose of slowing down. That imo is not the goal in our small planes.
What needs to happen is a deliberate smooth transition from approach phase to slow flight in the landing configuration followed by touch down on the mains while controlling airspeed, height above the runway and descent rate. This is the goal.

Well, it seems that your definition for "flare" is at odds with the common usage of the term.

It is clear and obvious that everyone in this thread is using the word "flare" to mean "a gradual and steady increase of AoA to maintain lift in ground effect as airspeed is reduced in preparation to landing."

Considering that, in low-speed/high-AoA flight, AoA primarily determines speed, while power primarily determines sink rate, this definition is neither incorrect nor unclear. It is also consistent with your description of "transition".

In short, we're all talking about the same thing, proper technique for final phase of landing, but you're insisting that everyone else is wrong, because you are insisting on a different use of terminology than everyone else.

Which is silly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 10:06 AM, ShuRugal said:

Well, it seems that your definition for "flare" is at odds with the common usage of the term.

It is clear and obvious that everyone in this thread is using the word "flare" to mean "a gradual and steady increase of AoA to maintain lift in ground effect as airspeed is reduced in preparation to landing."

Considering that, in low-speed/high-AoA flight, AoA primarily determines speed, while power primarily determines sink rate, this definition is neither incorrect nor unclear. It is also consistent with your description of "transition".

In short, we're all talking about the same thing, proper technique for final phase of landing, but you're insisting that everyone else is wrong, because you are insisting on a different use of terminology than everyone else.

Which is silly.

Well, seems like that’s all you’re able to get out of this and you have formulated your opinion based on the extent of your capabilities. 

I’m perfectly ok with that!

41 minutes ago, ShuRugal said:

Which is silly.

You're too funny! Trying to get Peter Garmin to agree to anything is like picking the winning lottery numbers for the next 5 PowerBall drawings. 

• Haha 1

Everyone, I just want to announce.  Since this is the thread where we are finally getting our terminology straightened out and finally corrected - For now on I will appreciate if you will all refer to N314EB, the blue thing I fly, is actually a frshizal, and I am actually offended that some of you have been referring it to it as an airplane.  In fact the rest of you mooneyspacers are really quite daft but everyone knows that Al Mooney was the greatest frshizal designer in the history of GA.  I mean you can call your frshizal's whatever you want, but you are wrong, and I am right, and anyway, when you refer to my personal frshizal, N314EB I will appreciate it if you use the one and only correct word.  As Al would have intended.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Everyone, I just want to announce.  Since this is the thread where we are finally getting our terminology straighten out and finally corrected - For now on I will appreciate if you will all refer to N314EB, the blue thing I fly, is actually a frshizal, and I am actually offended that some of you have been referring it to it as an airplane.  In fact the rest of you mooneyspacers are really quite daft but everyone knows that Al Mooney was the greatest frshizal designer in the history of GA.  I mean you can call your frshizal's whatever you want, but you are wrong, and I am right, and anyway, when you refer to my personal frshizal, N314EB I will appreciate it if you use the one and only correct word.  As Al would have intended.

1280328620_ScreenShot2018-05-22at12_32_48PM.png.b98d576a527a24fd11553cd7ad21aa6a.png

Well, I read through 5 pages of this thread to catch up. The Royal Wedding would have been a better use of my time. And more fun. Maybe if I'd had some popcorn. 

(I was hoping to learn if anyone had bettered my personal best of 4 bounces.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Well, I read through 5 pages of this thread to catch up. The Royal Wedding would have been a better use of my time. And more fun. Maybe if I'd had some popcorn. 

(I was hoping to learn if anyone had bettered my personal best of 4 bounces.)

That's been your problem Bob. All the time I have known you has shown you are always pragmatic. There is no FLAIR in you! :lol:

• 3 months later...

Since this is the thread I've been posting progress pictures to, instead of cluttering up some other thread.

I may not know what state(s) my engine is in right now, but my attitude has improved.

And yes, that is the only place in the panel I could find to put that battery where it wasn't in the way of controls or inaccessible for routine maintenance.

20180825_153907s.jpg

20180825_153903s.jpg

• Like 1