Porpoising leads to gear collapse accident

kortopates

• 2 months later...

Well, finally some 'progress'. The case and crank had to be machined due to being out of spec, they finally came back and the shop found extensive issues(pistons, oil pump housing, etc) which appeared to be due to metal that was thrown from when the cam failed a few hundred hours ago(before I owned it) and wasn't resolved at that time. Of course, they discover(or mention) this after the case and other work was done so it's now a little late to just upgrade to a shiny new reman with split mags and roller tappets. So I'm upgrading to a full overhaul since the required repairs(mine+insurance) is 2/3 of the overhaul.

Now 3-4 more weeks and maybe I'll have an engine and the rest of the work can begin.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, Steve W said:

I won't comment on the incident due to the investigation, but I'm fine, the plane is currently not, talking to shops now. If anyone has any suggestions in Oregon of who I should talk to about potential repairs please let me know so I can add them to my list.

Cascade aircraft management in Caldwell  Idaho. 

http://cam-aero.com/

brian 

• 1 year later...

Well, this is almost finally coming to a close.

In other news, anyone want to buy half a Mooney? (The engine will be sold separately as it was overhauled, then involved in a traffic accident and is now back at the engine shop.)

• Confused 1