Porpoising leads to gear collapse accident

kortopates

I did an experiment tonight.

I took two friends up this evening for a great adventure. After the rirst flight just before the landing...we flared. 

After the passengers changed seats we flew again, and then just before we landed on the opposite end...we flared. 

• Like 2

Why don't we quote current modern references. This is from the FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook. You'll note these days the term Flare has been replaced with the term Round-out. Although some may not care for change after many years of using Flare, but you got to hand it to the folks that updated this handbook for the FAA, since it a more apt name to describe the process IMO. But I am sure for most of us, when we learned to fly it was called a Flare.  Or even a "Flare Out" if your old enough to have used Wolfgang Langewiesche like apparently  @Hank did :lol: (good one Hank!) And Jim, don't give Clarence such a hard time, he was just making fun of us all for trying to make landing a Mooney sound so difficult or special! 

image.thumb.png.c7ad538c9a95d7c730b672a62dbe729e.png

• Like 5

Thank goodness for over 50 years of progress! A modern Mooney POH makes it simple - its all in the speed - and assumes this isn't your first landing, sparing us from telling us how to round out/flare/flair-out.... 

image.thumb.png.92f039e69cb0c4ac29799d9a0fcaaab6.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I have no idea.

I am also a member of Beechtalk. I don’t make a habit of pointing out Mooney’s superlatives there.  

Jim

It’s called humour, I’m just pointing out that many here make Mooney’s appear to be much more difficult to land than so many other types.  It’s a common theme here and always an interesting read.

I can imagine a new aviator who is interested in a Mooney reading a thread like this moving on to another brand, it doesn’t help the breed.

Clarence

30 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I can imagine a new aviator who is interested in a Mooney reading a thread like this moving on to another brand, it doesn’t help the breed.

Clarence

This!  

My experience has been that the short bodies and the mid-bodies are no more difficult to land than any other piston single. And guess what, the technique that worked when I was learning to fly a Cherokee 140, works just as well with my M20K 252. They can be landed steep and slow or long and fast. The speed window is anywhere between 60 knots and 90 knots. And I'm happy to demonstrate for anyone who wants to ride along.

Lets stop scaring the children with all this talk about how difficult Mooneys are to land.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

It’s called humour, I’m just pointing out that many here make Mooney’s appear to be much more difficult to land than so many other types.  It’s a common theme here and always an interesting read.

Clarence

I think we are just enjoying each other and having fun.  

A bit of fun in a semantics war.

and always with Mooney flair!  I’m in the right place.  Can you honestly say that those piper folk are as fun as us?

• Like 1

I think we are just enjoying each other and having fun.  
A bit of fun in a semantics war.
and always with Mooney flair!  I’m in the right place.  Can you honestly say that those piper folk are as fun as us?

Or spend some time on PoA. I know some of you are on there to get the internet adrenaline pumping stuff you don’t get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kortopates said:

Thank goodness for over 50 years of progress! A modern Mooney POH makes it simple - its all in the speed - and assumes this isn't your first landing, sparing us from telling us how to round out/flare/flair-out.... 

image.thumb.png.92f039e69cb0c4ac29799d9a0fcaaab6.png

The trouble with that maximum performance landing paragraph is that “Bitchin’ Betty” will be calling out “Stall....Stall...Stall” all the way down the final. It’s a bit unsettling for new PAX, and I dearly wish I could find her in the G1000 settings. 

The trouble with that maximum performance landing paragraph is that “Bitchin’ Betty” will be calling out “Stall....Stall...Stall” all the way down the final. It’s a bit unsettling for new PAX, and I dearly wish I could find her in the G1000 settings. 

Better than “PULL UP! PULL UP!”

2 hours ago, exM20K said:

I thought the "apply maximum braking (without skidding tires)" part was pretty good!  :D

On 5/20/2018 at 7:52 PM, ShuRugal said:

I would have called that a flare.  The definition given by Hank appears to match what we saw in that video.

What is your definition for "flare"?

Notice in that video there's hardly any floating and you never lose sight of the runway. That's excellent airspeed control and a very well executed transition from approach attitude to slow flight! 

Notice in that video there's hardly any floating and you never lose sight of the runway. That's excellent airspeed control and a very well executed transition from approach attitude to slow flight! 
During which, a high angle of attack is assumed placing the aircraft into a landing posture. This is an extremely broadly accepted definition.

If you have a different definition for flare, share it. Otherwise, all you are doing is being contrary.

0a26f01123f81916d5ce39c7d7371e49.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 4