Transition Training in Southern California Desired

MrRodgers

Hi Mooney Spacers.

Just a quick request for any suggestions on transition specific training for a new Mooney pilot in the Los Angeles area. 

67 M20 F - M9268M

Who do you recommend I contact?

I want to be a safe and proficient pilot and I plan on taking my time with the process and not go barreling around the sky after my 15 hr minimum insurance requirement.

Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge.

Best,

MR

2 minutes ago, mooneygirl said:

I used Mike Jesch, CFII, Master CFI based in Fullerton.  Also Jay Mason , CFI is in Fullerton and used to own a C model.

Here is a list:  http://www.themooneyflyer.com/cfi.html

Im doing my IFR with Jay mason too. I would strongly recommend him. He is a very busy guy but if you can get hold of him, there aren't a lot of better instructors in SOCAL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a new Mooney owner/pilot, consider enrolling in the MAPA Pilot Proficiency class in Henderson, NV in April.  This covers many aspects of Mooney ownership and operation in a structured course.  You will also get flying time with Mooney instructors, but not enough to be considered transition training.   The flight portion can count as a BFR and PIC if you are due for that.  

-dan

• Like 2

Second the MAPA PPP! I went a month after completing my 15-hr transition. It's a great program, you'll learn a lot and fly with a good instructor in ykur plane. 16 hours ground, 4 hours flight time. Learn to fly your Mooney first, MAPA will teach you how to fly it right.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

Hi Mooney Spacers.

Just a quick request for any suggestions on transition specific training for a new Mooney pilot in the Los Angeles area. 

67 M20 F - M9268M

I want to be a safe and proficient pilot and I plan on taking my time with the process and not go barreling around the sky after my 15 hr minimum insurance requirement.

Best,

MR

Touch base with Paul Kortopates @Kortopates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

Hi Mooney Spacers.

67 M20 F - M9268M

Best,

MR

15 hours?  That's pretty harsh, I was a low-time VFR pilot with no time-in-type or retractable time, and mine required 5 hours of dual instruction...

9 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

15 hours?  That's pretty harsh, I was a low-time VFR pilot with no time-in-type or retractable time, and mine required 5 hours of dual instruction...

I bought my C with 62 hours total time. Insurance wanted 15 dual including 5 Instrument [actual or simulated], then I was good to go. It was a good idea, since Mooneys are traveling machines, and I began using mine for travel [western WV to central NC] four days later . . . .  :P

16 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Not saying it's a bad idea, just that it's harsh as an insurance requrement.  I put the better part of 40 hours flying in the first six months before I felt comfortable enough to start my IFR training

Smart insurance company.  No way 5 hours to transition in a Mooney.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 8:33 PM, MrRodgers said:

Hi Mooney Spacers.

67 M20 F - M9268M

Best,

MR

+1 on Don Kaye to do your Mooney Specific transition training. You won't regret it and you'll learn a ton about flying your airplane safely.