Ipad holder

I am upgrading the panel in my M20C so the right side is going to be clean and just used for an iPad mount.  I do not want the mount that is embedded into the panel because I want to be able to tilt it torward me or pull it out so its closer to my eyes.

I have ordered this one:

http://mgfproducts.com/flex-panel-universal-ipad-tablet-mount-kit/

The sales person was telling me that you must release the tension in order to move it and then tighten it again.  Said there was no sweet spot where you can have it torqued enough to stay put under most conditions and still move it.  I can see how this would be a real pain in the ass under most conditions as it would take both hands.  

Does anyone have this system?

Is there a gooseneck system that others have used so I may be able to keep the iPad somewhat flat against the panel or at anytime just pull it closer to pilot flying and tilt the angle towards?

Would like to have this be a one hand operation, not sure if I am making too much of a big deal in having to adjust the mygoflight one in flight.  I will have it in my hands Friday.

Thank you in advance !!

Edited by Jim Peace

The ideal friction adjustment would be very difficult to set. Turbulence would be the main problem. I have nice camera ball heads that work great holding the gear in position without clamping it down. However, this is on a stable tripod not thrashing around in the air.  You could probably make it work, with a lot of drag, as long as the arm is not too long. 

I have the same setup as Mike.  Round plate, 1 inch Ram arm and Ram ball on iPad placed on right panel.  I can see it Ok in most cases.  I also use an aluminum bicycle mount to hold iPhone 6 plus on pilot yoke.  I can see the iPhone better but it lack the functionality of the iPad.  My mostly original panel and j bar limit placement of screens.  IPad mini on pilot yoke covers instruments. 

I also use the same mount for my phone. However with the short arm you might get 3 or 4 inches of movement toward you versus 10-15? from the one you purchased. I don’t think the 1 inch sized ram balls will support two long arms stretched 15 inches without slipping unless you really crank them down. 

I tried them extensively in this configuration when using underwater strobes on my camera kit. Needed to lock them down when not in the water. 

Good lord, those things are expensive.

I had been scrounging around for a while for a way to mount my Samsung tablet.  Looked at a couple yoke mounts, tried a cheap one, and just hate the way that works.  Looked at some panel-mount flex-arms like the one posted above, but they are all way more money than I am willing to spend on such a simple device.

I ended up making a wedge-block that I can Velcro to my panel, and then Velcro the tablet to, which uses the huge empty space on the copilot side, and angles the tablet so i can see and reach it easily.  Stuck everything in place with 3M Dual-lock so nothing is "permanently" affixed or modified (that stuff sure holds tight, though) and it does great.

I did the same thing as Terry, but I have a harder time with it in turbulence than when it was on the yoke.  But, I don’t use the iPad as much as I used to either.    I got one of the $6 plastic iPad cases and screwed it to the square/ball ram fitting I already had on the shelf.   

For $11.00 shipped to the door.  I got one of these from wally world.   There is a cross bar for the mixture cables that I mount it to.   No tools to remove.   Keeps the pad close, but as you can imagine my large furry body is pretty far away,

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ANKO-360-Degree-Rotating-Fashion-Universal-Flexible-Gooseneck-Long-Arm-Tablet-Stand-IPAD-Mini-IPAD-Air-IPAD-1-2-3-4-Samsung-Galaxy-7-9-12-Tablets-BLA/286424319

37 minutes ago, Yetti said:

For $11.00 shipped to the door.  I got one of these from wally world.   There is a cross bar for the mixture cables that I mount it to.   No tools to remove.   Keeps the pad close, but as you can imagine my large furry body is pretty far away,

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ANKO-360-Degree-Rotating-Fashion-Universal-Flexible-Gooseneck-Long-Arm-Tablet-Stand-IPAD-Mini-IPAD-Air-IPAD-1-2-3-4-Samsung-Galaxy-7-9-12-Tablets-BLA/286424319

In an environment that delivers significant vibration to the iPad and its long-arm holder?

Hard mounting the mount to the dash adds way more vibration than the flexible shaft.  The flexible shaft takes vibration out.   Don't get me wrong there are times when you just have to quite playing with it and fly the plane till it smooths out.