85 Mooney Missile ...Damaged left wing- $50,000

BobAustin

Original owner selling loaded Missile needing left flap, aileron, etc. Hit mailbox on long landing. 2300TTAF, 1222 since conversion, 850 since top. Loaded avionics*, 180 k cruise on 12.5 gph

ENGINE;  IO-550A,  new vacuum pump, new fuel pumps, Bendix mags,        

GAMI injectors,Tempest fine wire plugs (12), standby alternator

Tannis sump heater

PROP:  3 blade Hartzell Scimitar, phc-c3yf-2uf

AVIONICS:  King Attitude, HSI,  KAP-150 autopilot

Garmin GNS 430W coupled to A/P and 696

Bendix KX-165 nav com with ILS indicator

Garmin 696 panel mounted

JPI-830 egt/cht all cylinders

Garmin 345 transponder ADSB out/in modes

3M 1000+ stormscope slaved to HSI

PS Engineering Apollo SL15M audio panel 

CYI-100 AOA w/ LED indicator

GDC-31 GPSS roll steering - auto enroute & approach    

406 ELT, vertical card compass, 14/28 v convertor.

INTERIOR:  Custom gray leather 4 seats with Oregon Aero foam 2012

DAMAGE:    Long landing,  left wing tip hit stone mailbox       

damage to two outboard wing sections, left aileron, flap, etc

One hour since annual w 70+ all cylinders.

HISTORY;     Original owner bought new in 1985,  Annuals DuGosh at ERV,

Monroy extended tanks 92 gal...No tank leaks ever.

Plane in hanger at Lakeway,TX 3R9  Make offer for entire plane, no parts

sold .  Hanger use for 6 months included.  Bob Yarbrough bob@yarbroughsw.com 512-750-2751

Repaired... this would be a really good airplane and the price seems to be right. The hangar for 6 months would allow you get the wing repaired to the point it could probably be flown out. Otherwise, you'd need to chop the tail off to load it on a trailer and truck it out. KGGG is only an hour by air or 3 hours by truck where DMax could certainly put this Mooney back in business.

• Like 1

Just now, aviatoreb said:

That ain't so bad.  She'll fly again.

Good, but not great pictures of the wing, but from what's there it certainly doesn't look too bad.  In fact, from what it shows I'd be much more concerned about whether the prop was spinning when it went into the tree branches.  The engine inspection will take some time and money even if everything is fine.  If it wasn't spinning then that part is gone and it's just the wing and controls on that side and possibly the fuel tank.  Some work, but shouldn't be too bad.  It certainly has some nice avionics.

Am I missing the photo of the part of the wing that took out the mailbox?  That was a significant stone structure that got taken out.  The wrinkle at the wing root was caused by something that I'm not finding in the photos or I haven't seen/found the right photo..  

Ron

12 hours ago, Wayne Cease said:

.... I'd be much more concerned about whether the prop was spinning when it went into the tree branches.  .....

If there was a prop strike Continental says IRAN required regardless of whether engine was running.  

I am sorry to say I know firsthand about a non-rotation prop strike on an IO-550.   The prop overhaul and engine IRAN cost my insurer over $35K in 2016. 

Nice project for an A&P who has some spare time and a serviceable J wing available.  

see the wing damage on barnstormers...

MOONEY 201 MISSILE, DAMAGED • $55,000 • MOTIVATED SELLER  Damaged Mooney 201 Missile Conversion. 2302 TTAF, 1222 TNEW IO-550A, 3-Blade Hartzell. Garmin 430W, King 150 A/P, KX-165, JJPI-830, Garmin 345 xponder ADS-B in/out, Speed brakes, 2012 gray leather interior, left wing damaged by impact with structure. • Contact Erik Mulloy, Friend of Owner - located Lakeway, TX USA • Telephone: 512-217-6300 . • Posted February 7, 2018  Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser  Recommend This Ad to a Friend  Email Advertiser  Save to Watchlist  Report This Ad  View Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1518050922 thumb.jpg?modified=1518050922 thumb.jpg?modified=1518050923 thumb.jpg?modified=1518050934 thumb.jpg?modified=1518050948

I think it may be still a reasonable thing to buy?  30+K to buy a new wing r&r.  35k for prop strike inspection.  5k for whatever I forgot to mention.  70k+ 55k(asking - bargain down a tad) and you have a nice ready to go Mooney.  But not a bargain.  Reasonable.  For a person that can do all the work themselves, a lot better deal.  I have heard of wings for as low as 10k?  And if you can do the strike inspection yourself?....maybe 30k in parts and your own labor?  Then you got yourself a 80k Mooney missile.

Disclaimer - I don't know anything and I'm just making numbers up with impressive artificial precision.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alan Fox said:

you guys amaze me , not a single one of you has bought the bravo that flys , tks etc etc , but you price this over a hundred k   really    REALLY

I’m not buyin’ I’m just calling out a guess for repair costs.  How did I do?

what bravo?

4 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I think people are generally more comfortable with major structural repairs that they at least supervise themselves. 

FWIW, I have an excellent no-damage-history J wing with 64 gallon bladders installed in NW Florida that is available for 30K, plus whatever my IA charges to supervise its removal.  Or for 50K I will deliver the entire J to you in Texas. :)

Jim

Unless your J has the sculpted tips , it wont work , its not the same wing , the tanks will be a problem , Part of the Missile conversion , is the Monroy long range tanks , You cant "undo" a bladder install... 

On 2/7/2018 at 10:42 PM, Hector said:

That buckling near the root would be a significant concern for me. Concern that the wing is permanently deformed with areas of high residual stress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Especially since the Missile travels faster than a stock J.  180+ knots all day if you want it.  Great plane.  With a properly repaired or new wing this could be a great buy.  However, not at the price - it would need to be less.  Sorry for stating that to the seller.

The Missile is a GREAT airplane, I'm personally biased, and there are not too many of them - 40ish.  Let's get this one back in the air.

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

Looking at the pics it looks like it hit the concrete mailbox out towards the tip of the wing. That's at least a 15 foot arm distance creating a tremendous moment force back at the wing mating area. That spar is most likely bent and a replacement wing won't save it. If this thing isn't a pile of scrap metal beer is on me!. Dilly dilly!!

Dude the buckling is on the rear half of the wing. That’s from the compression of the aft part of the wing from hitting a brick mailbox and knocking it over. This bends the wing aft.   You aren’t straightening a bent wing spar, although some unscrupulous sellers have done that and lied about it. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2