85 Mooney Missile ...Damaged left wing- $50,000

BobAustin

Everyone should go back and review the damage to Flyboy’s J wings.  Despite the damage to both wings it sounds like it is being repaired and will fly again.  

This J can be repaired as well, it may get a different wing, maybe it won’t.  I’d bet that once opened it’s not as badly damaged as people think it is.

Clarence

I think the subsequent sale would be much easier with a new wing bolted on to remove doubt.   Your going to be 120 into this plane (plane purchase, motor, wing, alleron, paint) once complete and competing with 150k no damage planes - not much room there for the effort.

• Thanks 1

I think the subsequent sale would be much easier with a new wing bolted on to remove doubt.   Your going to be 120 into this plane (plane purchase, motor, wing, alleron, paint) once complete and competing with 150k no damage planes - not much room there for the effort.

That would work in my mind if I planned to own/fly it for 10 years...at that point the stigma/value hit from fresh damage history is greatly diminished. But if the plan is to flip it quickly for profit...notsomuch.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Can someone explain to me - how a wing can be damaged like that at the root and the frame is not likely damaged?  I am asking - not suggesting.  My intuition says it would be a point of worry.

You can not tell by the pics , but usually on an onsite inspection , you will see evidence ( wrinkled skins , cracked paint ) to evidence further damage.....until that point , everything else is spec , But from a financial standpoint , that wing is destroyed....

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Dream to fly said:

Probably...  But a better more cost efficient way would be to replace the entire wing.  As some say the full 36 feet.    There will be underlying damage but nothing time and money can't fix correctly.  The problem I see is the greed and smart comments that are spear chucked.  Some are asking questions to learn others are preaching what they think they know,  While others who obviously work in the profession know the work involved.  Unfortunately in this case the person with the bigger wallet will probably win it however that doesn't mean they know how to fix it.   Hopefully that person(s) will know people who can do the work correctly.  My fear is a person(s) pretending to be smart and have money working the magic to swap a wing and forgetting something because they did it themselves.  The cost of such a mistake is beyond numbers.  No matter who gets it, it will need a shop that specializes in Mooney repair to do the work.    

This is not a job for an inexperienced buyer , I would say either an MSC , Salvage operator , or an A&P , .....

• 1 month later...

It really is good to hear of one being saved. I visited a 252 today that might not survive to fly another day but very well might be parted out. 

I couldn't help but think about the fact that there are no more of these being made. And every one that gets parted out is another one gone. All the Mooney models are special but the E's, J's and 252's are in a class by themselves and it will be a shame when they've gone extinct. 

• Like 2

Strange that not so long ago all the “nay sayers” had the wing scrapped.  Time, skill, money and desire will see this fly again.
Clarence
It certainly surprised me hearing that they're repairing it. Some involved sheet metal work, but at the end of the day it is just aluminum with holes and rivets!

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

It certainly surprised me hearing that they're repairing it. Some involved sheet metal work, but at the end of the day it is just aluminum with holes and rivets!

My repair is complete and she rolled out of the paint shop today. Sometime this week will be the test flight and if all goes well, we'll have her home next week. It's been a very long  7 months.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

My repair is complete and she rolled out of the paint shop today. Sometime this week will be the test flight and if all goes well, we'll have her home next week. It's been a very long  7 months.

Be sure to invite the shop owner/ manager along for the first flight with you.

Clarence

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Be sure to invite the shop owner/ manager along for the first flight with you.

Clarence

The repair station is doing all of the flight testing. I may be daring, but not that daring. My partner will be flying her home and I'll be watching from the comfort of FlightAware.

• 3 months later...